Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Programming Questions » VS2010:how to put bmps in rcs and use them

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
VS2010:how to put bmps in rcs and use them
jhetfield21
Member #12,379
November 2010

Hi,
I've made a simple program where you have 2 bitmaps(one background and one character) and I'm blitting them on the window(gfx is windowed mode).I've been trying to put the bmps in a resource file(.rc) and embed it to the exe so that i dont need to give them along the exe to someone else.But I cant figure out how to load the bitmaps from the rc into the main cpp file and convert them to the bitmap * that allegro needs.

Can sb help me?If there's another way to embed packaged data(the bmps) in the final exe it would be also be good.

EDIT 1:I've also made a .resx file if that helps(so far it hasn't helped me but you never know).

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

I've attached code for loading BMPs from .exe files, provided you know the ID number of the BMP. I've only ever used it with MinGW, but it should compile fine with MSVC as well.

It's pretty straightforward to use:

#SelectExpand
1#include <allegro.h> 2#include <load_PE_bmp.h> 3 4int main() { 5 6 allegro_init(); 7 install_keyboard(); 8 9 set_color_depth(32); 10 set_gfx_mode(GFX_AUTODETECT_WINDOWED, 640, 480, 0, 0); 11 12 BITMAP *test = load_PE_bmp("program.exe", 108); 13 if (!test) { 14 15 allegro_message("%s", load_PE_bmp_error()); 16 return -1; 17 18 } 19 20 blit(test, screen, 0, 0, 100, 100, test->w, test->h); 21 22 while (!key[KEY_ESC]) {} 23 24 return 0; 25 26} 27END_OF_MAIN()

The version I attached is for Allegro 4. I did write a version for A5, but it no longer compiles, and I haven't had a chance to see what changes need to be made to get it to compile with the new RC1 release. I can still provide the code if you want to attempt to update it yourself.

I still haven't added 8bit (or less) BMP support either, so it only works for 16, 24 and 32 bit images.

jhetfield21
Member #12,379
November 2010

well tried load_PE_bmp lib but failed.
Also I wanted to work with .rc files....not exe.Since I can't put the bmps inside the program's exe I wanted to put them into an .rc or a .resx that VS supports and load them from that file into the application.

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Since I can't put the bmps inside the program's exe I wanted to put them into an .rc or a .resx that VS supports and load them from that file into the application.

I can't help you there then sorry, it's not something I ever wanted to do.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

The point of .rc files is to embed resources into exe's or DLLs. Not doing so, is a bit strange.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

KnightWhoSaysNi
Member #7,339
June 2006

Why not just make an allegro program to get the colors of each pixel and then save it how a 2d array would be written in whatever language you're using. You can put this in a source file and then convert the 2d array to a bitmap.

jhetfield21
Member #12,379
November 2010

Knight if you could provide an example nothing fancy cause at this point I'm out of ideas.

Also Thomas I know that the point of rcs are to be embedded what I meant by cant embed the bmps was as they were without packaging them.My problem is that after putting them into a resource file(be it a rc or a resx) I can't figure out how to load the bmps from it.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Also Thomas I know that the point of rcs are to be embedded what I meant by cant embed the bmps was as they were without packaging them.My problem is that after putting them into a resource file(be it a rc or a resx) I can't figure out how to load the bmps from it.

Load the resource bitmap as a windows bitmap, and call convert_hbitmap_to_bitmap on it to get an Allegro BITMAP.

I assume you'd use the win32 LoadBitmap function to load the hbitmap, but its been a while since I used the win32 api.

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

jhetfield21
Member #12,379
November 2010

well i tried that way and if i remember well ,it couldn't find that function.or at least it had a problem in the type of bitmap the loaded resource was.i dont really remember which of the two problems it was.but i did use that way and came to a dead end.i'll try it again though and will tell you what problem i had exactly.

EDIT 1:What file do i have to include to use convert hbitmap to bitmap?i've searched the ones on platform folder since it's supposed to be platform spesific but nada.And I image the winalleg.h is from A4.

KnightWhoSaysNi
Member #7,339
June 2006

Knight if you could provide an example nothing fancy cause at this point I'm out of ideas.

I don't have allegro installed right now, I'm going to install allegro 5 soon though.

Here's how I would go about doing it, I'm not sure about the correct function names though.

int data[BITMAP_HEIGHT][BITMAP_WIDTH];

for (int j = 0; j < bmp->h; j++)
{
    for (int i = 0; i < bmp->w; i++)
    {
       data[j][i] = getpixel(bmp, i, j);
    }
}

and then save it to a txt file called mybitmap.h where the output would look something like. (This will be larger in order to store all of the pixels of the bitmap).

#ifndef MY_BITMAP_H
#define MY_BITMAP_H
data[BITMAP_HEIGHT][BITMAP_WIDTH] = { { 155645, 1212321, 15648684 },
                                      { 155645, 1213321, 15648684 }, 
                                      { 155645, 1212321, 15648684 }};
#endif

and then make a blank bitmap using create_bitmap(BITMAP_WIDTH,BITMAP_HEIGHT) and fill it with the values from the data 2d array using putpixel(BITMAP *bmp, int x, int y, int color) where color is the number in the data array.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

EDIT 1:What file do i have to include to use convert hbitmap to bitmap?i've searched the ones on platform folder since it's supposed to be platform spesific but nada.And I image the winalleg.h is from A4.

Indeed, convert_hbitmap_to_bitmap is also allegro 4. I don't believe Allegro 5 has any helper functions for that.

--

jhetfield21
Member #12,379
November 2010

I think I'm gonna abandon the whole resource file thing.Yesterday I wasted 6 hours trying to connect them to the code.And it wouldn't even find the damn resource inside the resource file let alone convert it.Is it possible to do the same thing but with a dll?Hide the bitmaps without embedding them to the executable?

What pisses me off the most is that while there is support for usage(supposedly) there is hardly any documentation out there.I've searched for hours the last couple of days and I've only found some worthy articles that don't resemble that much what I want to do which is quite simple imo.

EDIT:thx for all the replies though

EDIT 2:Don't answer this,I just saw the other thread(http://www.allegro.cc/forums/thread/605608) .If anything,answer there since it's already asked.

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

:(
I can not understand.. I see it all the time, all over.. And here on A.cc recently I see a lot of questions relating with embedding various resource files in to various hidden places. What's the issue to have your resource file simply lying within the directory of your application, perhaps in some subdirectory? If you want to avoid overhead of too many files, why not make a single huge bitmap for every 10-100 small ones, and then make some bitmap works to show it? E.g: all numbers 0-9 in a single file, same with a.b.c etc'..

Append:
There's a ready zip routine also afaik.. or .gz if zip non free or whatsoever.. Why reinvent the wheel? ??? I do not mean to offend anyone of course.

jhetfield21
Member #12,379
November 2010

i didn't want to have file dependencies for sth to work.More so because it was small.So I wanted to embed them in the executable.
Also if I ever needed to do that and had a real good reason after doing it here I would have an example an knowhow to do that and I wouldn't have to learn everything from scratch then.And since VS gives you support for such things why wouldn't it work(pisses me off when things that are supposed to work don't).

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

type568 said:

Why reinvent the wheel?

This is... what resource files are meant for. So it's not reinventing the wheel.

In the interest of remaining as platform agnostic as possible, you'd be better off using data files or whatever. You can also embed them in the executable as well, at least with Allegro 4.

jhetfield21
Member #12,379
November 2010

@type568:the meaning of resource files as in .rc or .resx is to embed them to the executable and not have to give the actual resources as in bitmaps texts etc given along with the executable.It's not a question of organisation or overhead.It's a question of file dependency and hidden resources(again bitmaps and the rest).Some don't like to have the resources out there for everyone to take and manipulate.Also it isn't the best to have file dependencies cause if you forget to send them along the exe or for some reason they don't end up in the same directory as the executable in the end user pc.

@BAF:yeah i was thinking about dat files.i'try them at some point when i'll have free time.

Does anyone know if there is or will be support for datafiles in A5?

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Some don't like to have the resources out there for everyone to take and manipulate.

Embed them in the executable that way, and I can get to them with two lines of code. ;)

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Does anyone know if there is or will be support for datafiles in A5?

You have the PhysFS addon now.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

jhetfield21
Member #12,379
November 2010

yeah i know now after all that search for rcs but thats why i said not everyone.anyway doesn't matter most commercial games if you see don't exactly have the resources they use lying around.Those resources being backgrounds and textures etc..Though they might not use bitmap based graphics i don't know,but those that do have the resources in their original format only in cases of artwork that you gain after doing something ingame, as a reward.

EDIT:arthur in the physfs site it doesn't say anything about dat files in what works.
have you tried it?

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

EDIT:arthur in the physfs site it doesn't say anything about dat files in what works.

Uh, yes it does. Just not allegro's old dat format. Theres plenty of other data file formats that it supports. Like zip files.

--

type568
Member #8,381
March 2007

Okay..

Go to: