Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Game Design & Concepts » UberBlox Minecraft Clone Or Something

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3   4 
UberBlox Minecraft Clone Or Something
Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

UberFoX said:

I dont hate notch, i hate the people who claim hes god etc and spam utube, e-mail, website

No one here said that. If they did, I'd be refuting them.

Quote:

However i do agree Notch is not doing what he could be doing... Maybe he will get his act together soon enough and actually do what hes capable of doing.

He's already made over 3 million dollars, came to the USA and talked with Bungie and Valve and hired employees. This is with less than one year of full-time work. I've been in college for 6 years and I'll be lucky to make $60,000 a year. What's a man got to do to meet your level of satisfaction?
???

As we all continue to say, however, we do hope your project succeeds!

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

tobing
Member #5,213
November 2004

Yes, looks promising, so keep going.

I think it's quite often like this, someone is not satisfied with how a game is working, or the game not being moddable, or thinks that the game doesn't unlock the complete potential of the underlying game idea. So they get going and make their own version of the game (idea), which is all a very good thing!

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

UberFoX said:

You acting like people shouldn't do something if it was already done by somebody else!

These guys all have a love affair with "Notch" for some reason, so I wouldn't take them too seriously.

UberFoX
Member #12,314
October 2010

UberBlox has no code from any Minecraft server (The games are not compatible with each other at all)

Quote "I think it's quite often like this, someone is not satisfied with how a game is working, or the game not being moddable, or thinks that the game doesn't unlock the complete potential of the underlying game idea. So they get going and make their own version of the game (idea), which is all a very good thing!"

Pretty much there is also people who paid for the other game and see free ones appearing and feel like they just got raped and have to lash out as hard as they can to try defend their choice when there is no need to at all.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

UberFoX said:

Pretty much there is also people who paid for the other game and see free ones appearing and feel like they just got raped and have to lash out as hard as they can to try defend their choice when there is no need to at all.

For the love of crap, spend your energy working on your own game instead of whining that we don't share your opinion. It's like I'm talking to Linus Torvalds.

Matthew: I want to have Notchbabies. Little cube notchlets running around my house.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs

Timorg
Member #2,028
March 2002

It is a little harsh describing someone who spent €9.95 on a alpha game, and wish they had not, as "raped", if they were unsure about the purchase they could have waited to beta and paid the €19.95 price. I have got more play out of the game than ones that I have spent €50 on. Raped has many meanings, none of them good, and trivialises peoples real suffering. (It took me a while for me to learn not to use the word, as a female friend was offended by its use.)

I really hope your game goes well, I have already given you a list of things I would like to see. :D

I am slightly concerned that you are going to use sprites instead of 3d models, unless you are going to use the doom/duke3d style sprite, with 8 directions, and you show the appropriate one for the angle. If you go for the doom style one, what is going to stop a user from creating a single frame sprite that doesn't rotate or turn or animate. I really do think 3d models (even if less simple than the minecraft blocky ones,) are the way to go.

A blog would be really good to see also, so I can put it in my daily blog list to keep track of where you are going. If you take it in the right direction I am interested, but you will need to do it justice, not turn it into a lame copy, and take the potential of the original in a different direction.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
"c is much better than c++ if you don't need OOP simply because it's smaller and requires less load time." - alethiophile
OMG my sides are hurting from laughing so hard... :D

UberFoX
Member #12,314
October 2010

If i showed u some of the comments/emails i got you wouldnt be saying its harsh u would be left speechless ^^

Quote "For the love of crap, spend your energy working on your own game instead of whining that we don't share your opinion. It's like I'm talking to Linus Torvalds."

Whining? I couldnt give a damn i said my oppinion end of story if people keep asking questions about it they will get an answer. if you dont want me to answer then stop posting... How stupid is it to post for an answer get one then say omg stop whining

Just because that answer constitutes whining to you doesnt make it any less an answer than what your asking for!

As for spend energy working i am doing... I check here every whenever often and post a reply if somebody said something.

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

This threads feels like a politician running for office. Too much bashing of the other guy and his thing. You want a better reception then act like a professional, stop mentioning Notch or MineCraft and focus on your own game, starting now. It's not like every time someone here makes a platformer they talk about how Mario sucks or Shigeru Miyamoto won't release his source code. :-/ Just my advice.

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

You want a better reception from Notch fanboys then act like a professional, stop mentioning Notch or MineCraft and focus on your own game, starting now.

FTFY.

UberFoX, ignore non-constructive criticism and good luck with your game.

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

Billybob
Member #3,136
January 2003

Timorg said:

Raped has many meanings, none of them good, and trivialises peoples real suffering. (It took me a while for me to learn not to use the word, as a female friend was offended by its use.)

Quoted For Truth.

I want to have Notchbabies. Little cube notchlets running around my house.

I normally like to keep my signature rather spartan, but your quote was too awesome. In other words, sigged.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

I want to have Notchbabies. Little cube notchlets running around my house.

It sounds like they needed an extra dose of painkillers at the birth. Those corners sound nasty.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

james_lohr
Member #1,947
February 2002

I've been avoiding the urge to troll in this thread, but I can't help myself anymore.

Minecraft was successful because of the ridiculous amount of hype generated by elaborate applications of its simply game mechanics. I would have hoped that programmers would be immune to this veneer but this forum alone has shown fanboys in abundance.

Your "enhancements" detract from the essence of the game: a map editor. Make it into any more of an game and the illusion that something special is happening soon disappears altogether.

Notch has given people a completely naked whore, and some people, due to her total nakedness and slightly retarded nature, have fooled themselves into thinking that they're not bedding a prostitute. You've decided to slap on some cheap lipstick and garish earrings, and you now expect us to find her any more attractive? I think not.

Don't waste your time cloning this pile of shite. Make something new.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

UberFoX: I don't think anyone has said they dislike your game. Some of us just dislike the way you bash another developer.

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Some of us just dislike the way you bash another developer.

I dislike his incosistant inability to use the quote feature and the Shift key.

deps
Member #3,858
September 2003

[quote]Some of us just dislike the way you bash another developer.[/quote]
This.

Your clone of minecraft has a lot of potential. But stop whining about notch or minecraft. Like a lot of other people have already said. :P

---
Layers are good, all good things have layers, like onions. Good things also stink. - Trezker
I now have a page and a blog!

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

M-M-M-Monday thread!

Sorry, but it seems like noone pointed out the day this thread was created! Regardless of how much motivation you have and progress done, you've just fallen under the ancient allegro.cc curse...

:P

TranslatorHack 2010, a human translation chain in a.cc.
My games: [GiftCraft] - [Blocky Rhythm[SH2011]] - [Elven Revolution] - [Dune Smasher!]

Jonatan Hedborg
Member #4,886
July 2004

Dario ff said:

Sorry, but it seems like noone pointed out the day this thread was created

3 minutes into Tuesday for me ;)

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Dario ff said:

M-M-M-Monday thread!

Sorry, but it seems like noone pointed out the day this thread was created! Regardless of how much motivation you have and progress done, you've just fallen under the ancient allegro.cc curse...

:P

I said:

Wait, so a new member creates a thread about an awesome game that is already pre-beta? :-/ I don't understand... :-[

I dub thee a Wednesday thread!

I said:

Just a piece of advice: Allegro.cc will destroy your motivation to develop games. The last game completed by anybody here was in 1852. :(

:-/

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I complete games all the time. I just lower my definition of "complete" every time I fail to meet it.

-----sig:

Trezker
Member #1,739
December 2001

How low is your definition now?

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

#include <allegro5/allegro.h>

int main(void)
{
  al_init();
  return 0;
}

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Paul whoknows
Member #5,081
September 2004

This thread became pointless, please STOP posting!
Thread closed.

____

"The unlimited potential has been replaced by the concrete reality of what I programmed today." - Jordan Mechner.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Isn't discussion for the sake of entertainment, worthy discussion?

(Now it's a philosophical one.)

-----sig:

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

If I chop the bottom block of a tree out in Minecraft and it just hangs in the air with no one else around, does it make a sound?

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

If I chop the bottom block of a tree out in Minecraft and it just hangs in the air with no one else around, does it make a sound?

It makes the sound of one hand clapping.

1   2   3   4 

Go to: