Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Mah Sekrit Projact

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Mah Sekrit Projact
Trezker
Member #1,739
December 2001

I hope resources come soon too so we can start hoarding. ;)

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

Resources, gathering, and making things, are all part of the "projects" feature I'm currently working on. Next thing after that is eating (and starvation).

---
Me make music: Triofobie
---
"We need Tobias and his awesome trombone, too." - Johan Halmén

Trezker
Member #1,739
December 2001

Yay, my second character finally found my first character. Now we can break the capital rule! ;)
Already kinda did in a very small way. I recognised the location my first character had visited and knew which way to go for the last road.

james_lohr
Member #1,947
February 2002

So have you started an Alpha? - Juding by their comments, people are actually playing it. In which case, may I join too? :)

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

So have you started an Alpha? - Juding by their comments, people are actually playing it. In which case, may I join too?

Yes I have, yes they are, and I sent you a PM with a login.

(Note to self: Need to make a proper account creation page.)

Trezker said:

Yay, my second character finally found my first character. Now we can break the capital rule!

Oh yeah, the CR... as much as I found the Cantr team's constant emphasis of that rule annoying, I certainly think it is required to achieve balanced and fair role playing without putting harsh restrictions on the game mechanics that would ultimately hurt gameplay more than anything. After all, information is an important factor in the game, and any way of bypassing the game's rules for passing and sharing information can be abused to unbalance things. I'm already thinking of a "report rule violation" button somewhere (probably in the message box somewhere), so you could flag any message as a possible rule violation, and then a moderator could take a look and judge on a per-case basis. Maybe even peer voting, but I think probably not, because it would just open up another opportunity for abuse - imagine ten characters at one location, one going against general consensus, but within the rules, and the other 9 voting that character out: not good.

---
---

CursedTyrant
Member #7,080
April 2006

Pretty neat, but I don't know if I'd play a game like that (never played Cantr). Can I try it out as well?

---------
Signature.
----
[My Website] | [My YouTube Channel]

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Oh, we can play? Sweet, hook me up!

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

My second character seemed to have missed part of a conversation (or someone is talking to herself)

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

Yes, I am experiencing the same thing. While we are talking about it... Tobias, did you consider implementing whispering?

In capitalist America bank robs you.

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

Whispering has been there from day one. To whisper to someone, select his/her name in the dropdown right above the talk box, then talk. Currently, whispering is completely invisible to other characters, so that's probably the reason you've missed part of a conversation. But I will make it so that there's a random chance of others noticing the fact you are whispering, and a smaller chance of others overhearing your conversation. This is a bit harder to implement than what I have now, and there are more important things to do, so bear with me.

Oh, we can play? Sweet, hook me up!

Pretty neat, but I don't know if I'd play a game like that (never played Cantr). Can I try it out as well?

Sure thing. See your private messages for account details.

---
---

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Whispering has been there from day one. To whisper to someone, select his/her name in the dropdown right above the talk box, then talk.

For me, that drop down always seems to have only one option, "All". Seems fixed.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

What's the travel speed? Will I keep moving along the road if I log out? And who built these roads, anyway?

EDIT:

Is there a way to see the overall map that you've explored so far, or will I just have to remember the way if I want to turn back?

EDIT:

Is in-game time slower than real life time?

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

What's the travel speed?

Currently, a hard-coded 36 pixels per in-game hour. Ultimately, it will be dynamic, depending on your skills, the stuff you're carrying, the type of road you're on, and a number of other factors.

Quote:

Will I keep moving along the road if I log out?

Yes. Life goes on while you 'sleep'.

Quote:

And who built these roads, anyway?

I did, with a little help from Mr. A* (one of the parts of the game written in C++).

Quote:

Is there a way to see the overall map that you've explored so far, or will I just have to remember the way if I want to turn back?

There is no auto-mapping as of now. I'm thinking about allowing characters to do this, but it's probably going to slow you down a bit, and you need to have enough paper.

Quote:

Is in-game time slower than real life time?

It's different. See this page.

---
---

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

I did, with a little help from Mr. A* (one of the parts of the game written in C++).

It was a rhetorical, in-game question. ;)

EDIT:

So it will take about six (real) hours to go anywhere?

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

Hmm. Does the "Remember me" checkbox actually do anything right now?

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

gnolam said:

Hmm. Does the "Remember me" checkbox actually do anything right now?

No. It's there because I copied the login page from another project, but the way I had implemented it there was kind of half-broken (i.e., it doesn't scale well at all). Implementing a version that works is on my list. I think I should just disable that checkbox for now.

---
---

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

Tobias: will "projects" and items have a modular design. What I mean is, you could make the system so that people could help you create items and requirements for them etc. For example, have a page dedicated to adding items to the game. This way, you could have designers that would help bring new items to the game, so the burden would not lie solely on you.

In capitalist America bank robs you.

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

Vanneto said:

Tobias: will "projects" and items have a modular design. What I mean is, you could make the system so that people could help you create items and requirements for them etc. For example, have a page dedicated to adding items to the game. This way, you could have designers that would help bring new items to the game, so the burden would not lie solely on you.

Definitely. Currently, I add items types and projects through SQL statements (or phpmyadmin), but I will absolutely make a nice web interface for this - even if it's only for myself, because the process is quite tedious.

---
---

Trezker
Member #1,739
December 2001

I just saw someone else pick something up and realized we can't give stuff to each other yet, when are you gonna add that feature?

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Trezker said:

I just saw someone else pick something up and realized we can't give stuff to each other yet, when are you gonna add that feature?

As a hack, you should be able to drop it and hope nobody else gets it before them. :D That said, I don't think there's really any justification to trade items yet...

Trezker
Member #1,739
December 2001

Well as soon as the projects are available it will become quite relevant.

In another game I've played, Daimonin, there is no trade feature. You have to drop it on the ground and let the other player pick it up. So all trades have to be made in out of the way location to avoid ninjas doing drive by stealing. And you have to trust that the other guy keeps his word.

The issue of trust is still there in Cantr, but at least you don't have to worry about thieves unless they're murdering thieves.

At least you have word of mouth available as a weapon against dishonest people. Though in Cantr, the dishonest person isn't automatically known by the same name everywhere so you have to work a bit to let people know he's a bad person. As a bad character you do have a chance to move to distant locations and start over fresh.

This made me think of a new feature for the game.
Let characters have attributes like height, hair and eye color and maybe some other stuff.
Then you could leave a description of a character to someone and when they later see someone with the same attributes you get a special message.
"You see a young man that might be [name]"
I imagine this would be a fair bit of work to implement. Each character would need a list of characters they can leave a description of. You probably should have to actively choose to memorize a characters attributes to be able to describe him/her to other people.

Tobias Dammers
Member #2,604
August 2002

Trezker said:

Soon. :) First I'll need to finish the first raw version of the whole projects thing. It's taking a tad bit longer than I had hoped, especially because I really really need a useable maintenance interface, which turns out to be pretty tedious.

When that's done, I'll make a generic two-way inventory control that would allow you to move items between inventories. I can then use this for all situations where two inventories are involved: Trade, picking up and dropping, putting items into projects, and maybe stealing.

Speaking of which:

Trezker said:

The issue of trust is still there in Cantr, but at least you don't have to worry about thieves unless they're murdering thieves.

I was actually thinking of a stealing feature. You could choose to "snatch" things or take them using brute force. With the first option, each attempt would give you a list of items you happen to come across while secretly rummaging through the other character's bag, then you'd select one, and a roll would determine whether you succeed, or the other character notices your attempt. Your "snatching" skill would influence your chance of success. The brute force approach would only be available for items that are publicly visible (larger items), the other character would always notice, and your success chance would be rolled based on the strengths of you and the other character. So if you're really strong, you can just take things by brute force, but everyone will notice; if you're good at snatching, you have a chance of stealing without being noticed, but it's much lower than the brute force chance.

Another thing I've been thinking about is signatures. When you write a note, you will have the option of signing it; while your signature doesn't tell anyone your identity directly, it will be recognizable, and by comparing it to another signature, it can be verified. This would allow for enforcable written contracts, as well as bank notes and such. Technically, it's probably going to be a randomized bezier line pattern rendered onto a PNG image and tied to your character.

Quote:

This made me think of a new feature for the game.
Let characters have attributes like height, hair and eye color and maybe some other stuff.
Then you could leave a description of a character to someone and when they later see someone with the same attributes you get a special message.
"You see a young man that might be [name]"
I imagine this would be a fair bit of work to implement. Each character would need a list of characters they can leave a description of. You probably should have to actively choose to memorize a characters attributes to be able to describe him/her to other people.

Physical properties are another thing I've been thinking about; however, a graphical representation, while doable, would contrast heavily with the otherwise text-based character of the game, while a textual representation is really really hard to get right without making it look artificial. So I'm not sure yet how far I'll go with this one. Things like height, posture, hair color, etc., are definitely possible though, and they would probably give enough clues to distribute character descriptions in-game. Automating the whole "looks like X" thing isn't something I see myself implementing though: It's going to be a pain to get right, and I don't see much advantage over manually checking a character's properties against a written note.

---
---

Trezker
Member #1,739
December 2001

When you mentioned publicly visible I recalled the funny thing about Cantr that most people wander around wearing nothing worth mentioning. And yet they can carry up to 15 kg of various stuff.

Will your game also feature the magical ability to carry gas and fluids without any containers and still have your hands free?

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

So far it does

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

CursedTyrant
Member #7,080
April 2006

Cool, I found some milk... on the ground. ;D

---------
Signature.
----
[My Website] | [My YouTube Channel]

Go to: