Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Blwhahha?!? An honest minister?

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3   4 
Blwhahha?!? An honest minister?
bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

http://www.reddit.com/comments/dnlim/a_christian_ministers_take_on_reddit/

:D

This thread stood out while I was taking a look at this fancy use of JavaScript[1]:

http://erqqvg.com/vizeddit/?v=2.0

References

1. I'm normally not even a Reddit reader. :-X
Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Quote:

There's plenty of them. :P

Interesting side note: Did you know that in spite of the "catholic priests rape little boys" controversy, the highest cases of rape were actually in protestant churches, and not with the priests but with volunteers. Which is why many churches have mandatory background checks now.

The more you know!

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

StevenVI
Member #562
July 2000

I don't understand what is so funny about this. ???

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

the highest cases of rape were actually in protestant churches, and not with the priests but with volunteers

Where's the nearest Catholic school for girls again? You know how hot they're reputed to be!

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Quote:

They don't make the news, so they don't exist.

StevenVI said:

I don't understand what is so funny about this. ???

A Christian is trying to make sense. Naturally, this is uproariously funny.
Yeah, I don't get it either.

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

They don't make the news, so they don't exist.

Just want to make a little side note... Just 'cause christian bashers are loud doesn't mean they're the majority, either. I'm not sayin that's what you're sayin, but I'm just sayin. :P

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

You don't understand what's funny about a minister saying this:

We Christians have given plenty of reason for anyone who's paying attention to discount our faith and also discount God.

You must be religious. Move along. >:(

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Just want to make a little side note... Just 'cause christian bashers are loud doesn't mean they're the majority, either. I'm not sayin that's what you're sayin, but I'm just sayin.

He meant that they're not newsworthy, which has meant "weird or provocative or tons of blood" the last few years. The masses must have their bread and circuses one way or another.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

bamccaig gives non-religious people a bad name.

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

bamccaig said:

You don't understand what's funny about a minister saying this:

Quote:

We Christians have given plenty of reason for anyone who's paying attention to discount our faith and also discount God.

You're right, I don't. How is it not correct?

EDIT: I like how fast Mark Oates distanced himself from bam-bam though. I wonder how fast can the rest of you do it? ;D

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

I don't get it either.

bamccaig said:

You must be religious. Move along.

I see. Usually I laugh a lot to Christian jokes. Well, this is of course no joke, but some find it funny. Has it something to do with a strong faith in that absolutely nothing good can come out of Christianity, or any religion for that matter? And having that faith, one can nothing but laugh at everything any Christian utters in an attempt to point out what really matters in Christian values.

<append />
A Finnish comedy series had a good sketch about two priests at the staff room. One reads a sign on the billboard, which says:
"Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you."
Then he starts a long rant about: "Who put up this? Have we discussed this on a meeting? Are we supposed to do this now or next week? How do they think we will have time for this..." The other priest joins the rant and both complain loudly how the management level fails in putting up the job tasks.

In the following week episode same priests meet in the staff room again. One of them is about to have the sermon and tells the other that he's going to try a bit different approach, just to get better attention from the parish. He enters the pulpit, grabs the mic and starts a stand-up like act. "Have you ever thought of that Jesus is always pictured as a long haired hippie? He must have had some fight with his dad at some point. 'Sure you don't intend to go to Earth looking like that! For heaven's sake, have a hair cut!'"
Awkward silence in the church follows. Fellow priest sighs in the staff room.

Of course you have to imagine all the rest, like how two very talented comedians make the best of these sketches.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

axilmar
Member #1,204
April 2001

He didn't answer my philosophical questions. Basically, I wanted to see why he believes. But he didn't answer.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

How is it not correct?

I didn't say that it was incorrect.

Has it something to do with a strong faith in that absolutely nothing good can come out of Christianity, or any religion for that matter? And having that faith, one can nothing but laugh at everything any Christian utters in an attempt to point out what really matters in Christian values.

I don't have any "faith" in any religion; for nor against. ::) I know of a lot more bad than good that comes from religion and I have never heard of scientific evidence to support any of them.

I just find it refreshing to hear an alleged minister admit that Christianity is a very poorly sold religion. In my experience, most Christians get upset when you point out flaws in the system. Most are completely oblivious to them. An actual salesman of this crap is the last person that I expect to admit the reality. Of course, I have to take it on faith :D that he's even a minister.

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

I'm a Christian. I "adopted" a disabled girl in Uganda, I give to the Salvation Army and the UNHCR, and in general I'm a good an honest person. I don't force my religion on anyone, I don't even talk about it unless someone brings it up. Christian values are good, wholesome stuff. There is no "hate" in Christianity. So I don't know where you get the bogus idea that religion does a lot of harm. I think your perpetuating of hate on the internet (not just in this thread, but time and time again) does a lot more harm than any religious person I've ever known. Of course my true opinion of you is that you're just a little boy who wants to be different by rebelling against the norm, which a lot of us do, but you're the first person I've seen carry it into adulthood (you being an adult is debatable though. Your age is there, but I'm not sure you're anywhere near maturity wise).

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Trent Gamblin said:

Blah blah blah attempt to logically justify religion blah blah blah

Noooo! Don't do it! AAAHHHHH----PPPPSHHHHHHHH!

I was too late. :-/

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

I know, he probably won't even try to understand, but it was worth a shot.

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

bamccaig said:

I just find it refreshing to hear an alleged minister admit that Christianity is a very poorly sold religion.

Depending on which adherents you focus on, all perspectives on religion - atheism included - are "poorly sold". Every group has its assholes and everyone knows this.

Guess I still miss the funny. :)

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I'm a Christian.

When did this thread become about Trent Gamblin? :P

I "adopted" a disabled girl in Uganda,...

No, you send money to an organization that claims to contribute to her welfare. These organizations aren't very transparent about where your money goes though. You may well be surprised what it's actually used for.

You may have heard of Mother Teresa, for example.

video

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=bullshit+mother+teresa

That's not to say that your money doesn't help out or that it isn't good of you to give. It's possible that the organization that you go through is legitimately interested only in the welfare of the children and not in pushing their beliefs or building their bank accounts. It's possible that you give that money because you care only for the child and not because you think it looks good to those watching nor that it makes you somehow superior to every other human on the planet.

There is no "hate" in Christianity. So I don't know where you get the bogus idea that religion does a lot of harm.

It seems you are the first person to mention hate in this thread (at least according to Vimperator).

In any case, if you don't believe that there's any hate in Christianity then you must not be a very big history buff. :P I'm also guessing that you haven't watched Religulous. :D

Of course, religions are slippery in that the actual "teachings" are somewhat arbitrary and so it's pretty impossible to say conclusively that "Christianity" teaches hate. There's no one Christianity because it's basically nothing more than interpretations of the Bible. Certainly numerous Christian groups over the course of history have hated others in the name of Christianity and the Christian God. It's not really important if you or your church is responsible for the hate or harm. The fact is that it was still Christianity and its followers that did it.

Again, that's not to say that you necessarily preach hate just because you're a Christian, but others have and do.

I think your perpetuating of hate on the internet (not just in this thread, but time and time again) does a lot more than any religious person I've ever known.

What hate are you referring to? Disagreeing with your beliefs and indeed finding humor in them is not the same as hate.

Of course my true opinion of you is that you're just a little boy who wants to be different by rebelling against the norm, which a lot of us do, but you're the first person I've seen carry it into adulthood (you being an adult is debatable though. Your age is there, but I'm not sure you're anywhere near maturity wise).

;D What "norm" exactly am I "rebelling" against?

Noooo! Don't do it! AAAHHHHH----PPPPSHHHHHHHH!

>:)

I know, he probably won't even try to understand, but it was worth a shot.

Try to understand what? You didn't really seem to make a point. You just said that you are good and I am bad. I think that pretty much sums up the default Christian argument. ;D

Depending on which adherents you focus on, all perspectives on religion - atheism included - are "poorly sold".

Atheism isn't really "sold".

Every group has its assholes and everyone knows this.

It isn't about the assholes. It's about the bullshit. :-/

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

bamccaig said:

No, you send money to an organization that claims to contribute to her welfare. These organizations aren't very transparent about where your money goes though. You may well be surprised what it's actually used for.

That's a cop out used by people who are too cheap and selfish to help out the less fortunate.

Quote:

It's not really important if you or your church is responsible for the hate or harm. The fact is that it was still Christianity and its followers that did it.

How is that not important? That was not Christianity and its followers that were responsible for the Crusades or anything of those things. If I call myself a buddist and go out and blow up an airplane, does that mean buddists and its followers did it?

Quote:

Try to understand what? You didn't really seem to make a point. You just said that you are good and I am bad. I think that pretty much sums up the default Christian argument.

You see? You did it again. You continue to insult and spread hate about Christianity. And I did not say you were bad, I did not say atheism was bad, I said hate was bad. And I may have been the first person to mention the word "hate", but vimperator searches for text, not what the text expresses. I said what you were doing, spreading hate for Christianity and other religions is bad. You know, it's a long leap, but it is a rational one to compare your view on religion to some other peoples. And before you cry unfair, in previous threads (more than one IIRC), you've said religious people should be scrutinized and ostracized from society for their beliefs.

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Blwhahha?!? A bamccaig?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

bamccaig said:

Atheism isn't really "sold".

Really? You've never read an article denouncing religion or heard a talk show about how all religion is dumb or archaic, or listened to someone go on about why the world would be better off without religion?

Really? Really?

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

I thought you were trying to sell atheism by making this thread? Isn't it one of those buy-one-get-one-free-only-pay-for-extra-shipping deals like those infomercials on tv? ???

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

How is that not important? That was not Christianity and its followers that were responsible for the Crusades or anything of those things. If I call myself a buddist and go out and blow up an airplane, does that mean buddists and its followers did it?

It isn't about whom. It's about why. If it was your belief in Buddhism that made you go out and blow up an airplane then I would say that Buddhism is harmful, even if that isn't its actual intent.

It seems pretty clear that the Bible is not without hate: http://www.religioustolerance.org/bibl_hate1.htm

You see? You did it again. You continue to insult and spread hate about Christianity.

You use the word hate too often. In every religious discussion I have ever had with a Christian, the message is always that they are good and others[1] are bad. They will go to Heaven and others will go to Hell. It's the very foundation of the belief system. :P

And before you cry unfair, in previous threads (more than one IIRC), you've said religious people should be scrutinized and ostracized from society for their beliefs.

Scrutinized? Certainly. Ostracized? Only those that bring harm to society because of their beliefs. In other words, I support your right to believe them, but if you wish to bring harm to me and mine because of your beliefs then I'd prefer you to GTFO. And I'm not saying you necessarily do. Others do, however, and I do believe that there is no advantage to society to have religious beliefs. It's basically anti-science or anti-knowledge, and therefore anti-progress. What little "good" you can claim your religion accomplishes can be accomplished without any idea of God (and indeed, is).

Really? You've never read an article denouncing religion or heard a talk show about how all religion is dumb or archaic, or listened to someone go on about why the world would be better off without religion?

Note that they aren't saying that "you should be an atheist because X, Y, Z." They're saying that "religions A, B, C, etc., don't make sense because X, Y, Z..." :P

Atheism = no theistic beliefs = no religion = nothing.

You can't sell nothing. :P Atheism doesn't have anything to offer you.

References

1. Broadly, "non-Christians", which can be expanded to mean people that don't believe in Christianity and people that don't do a good job of practicing it (i.e., not "real" Christians).
Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

bammcaig, everything you say is idiotic. At no point in your rambling, incoherent responses do you even come close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone on these forums is dumber for having listened to you. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

If I had this much spare time on my hands, I'd use it to do something productive (like writing games).

1   2   3   4 

Go to: