Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » More Minecraft!

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
More Minecraft!
Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

I go on once in a while, but no one is there at the time, and I just go to one of my personal worlds instead.

Same here.

=================================================
Paul whoknows: Why is this thread still open?
Onewing: Because it is a pthread: a thread for me to pee on.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

Well, did you give us ops? If not, then I can't help repair your diamond wall.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Yes, I just gave everybody ops (every username I could remember, anyway; I don't recall Jonatan's). You can say "/help" for a list of commands (which need to be prefixed with /). Some of them are cut off due to the small screen size. :)

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Wait, I have ops? Time to finish that obsidian wall.

The server may need to be reset, or something. The spawn is full of entities and even when I pick them up they don't seem to go away. Someone tried to destroy a minetrack with tnt.

relpatseht
Member #5,034
September 2004

{"name":"602000","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/2\/9\/293bc21fb1b85a29e018441aa19686d9.png","w":860,"h":508,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/2\/9\/293bc21fb1b85a29e018441aa19686d9"}602000

I wish I had made it closer to the spawn point. It's on bamccaig's server to the north west along the coast.

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

relpats_eth: That is awesome.

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

What you need to do is create an illustration of a stapler.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

So, who's still playing Minecraft? I've been off for about a week, I'm kind of waiting for more bugfixes to SMP right now.

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

I been on and off as well. Basically, whenever I have time to put into it.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

deps
Member #3,858
September 2003

I have been busy with work, ludum dare and waiting for bugfixes.
Another week to wait until notch is truly back home again and can continue to work on it.

---
Layers are good, all good things have layers, like onions. Good things also stink. - Trezker
I now have a page and a blog!

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

Notch's sales have surely been increasing a LOT over the past months. One of my Minecraft videos on YT shows in the graph a fast growth in viewers; looks like the popularity of this game is going through a snowball effect.

Sadly, I just grew tired of it for the moment. Waiting for the next patch to come out, only to have some new item or a new resource which sometimes requires you to generate a new map. I understand it's normal since it is in Alpha State. I guess I'll just wait a month or two and create a new world, checking out all the new stuff at once. :)

And maybe multiplayer will work fine. :P

TranslatorHack 2010, a human translation chain in a.cc.
My games: [GiftCraft] - [Blocky Rhythm[SH2011]] - [Elven Revolution] - [Dune Smasher!]

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

The only real problem is that there's no point to the game yet. You can build lots of stuff, but they ultimately have no real purpose, so for me it gets old fast. It's fun to experiment with things when they come out, but ultimately Notch will need to figure out a purpose for the game. We'll all need some goal to work towards.

In theory, it would be fun to play with minecarts and/or the circuit building stuff, but it's so much work to figure out how that I just don't have the energy right now. It's easier and more satisfying to play CS:S and pwn n00bs. ;D

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

bamccaig said:

The only real problem is that there's no point to the game yet. You can build lots of stuff, but they ultimately have no real purpose

*cough*Open-ended gameplay*cough*

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

I'm waiting for inventory and storage to made server side. I've been playing single player off and on, although recently I've been caught up in the seemingly endless pursuit of Starcraft II achievements...

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

gnolam said:

cough*Open-ended gameplay*cough

IIRC, it was several months before anybody twigged to the fact that Myst was anything more than that.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

He just met Bungie and Valve.

WHAT THE CRAP. :o

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

I know, he's living the dream! I'm still waiting, patiently, on more updates.

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

Apparently he is getting a proper office and hiring some staff... Hopefully this means he can work on Minecraft with less interruptions...

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Apparently his Web site can only handle one registration at a time. :-X It's pretty cool that he's turning his venture into a company. Also, if you have real game developer skills you might want to read his recent blog posts, as he might not have filled all positions yet. I wonder if I'd have sufficient skills for the Web developer position, but then I suppose not. Not to mention, I'd have to move to Sweden. :-X Hopefully the company is successful while remaining true to the community.

** EDIT **

Is anybody still playing on the server? I haven't seen much activity for days, if not over a week. The server seems to be somewhat unstable still and even with 700 MB it still seems to run out of memory, etc. I was noticing lag on the VM all day today and though there doesn't seem to be any concrete proof that minecraft is the culprit, it's a pretty good candidate.

If nobody is using the server anymore then I'll just publish the existing world and stop it.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Yeah, I'm not using the server right now. I'm waiting for inventory and mobs.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

If anybody is interested:

http://www.castopulence.org/tmp/minecraft-world.tgz

In unices, you can extract with gunzip and tar (or probably just tar):

wget http://www.castopulence.org/tmp/minecraft-world.tgz -O- | \
        gunzip | tar -xv
# OR
wget http://www.castopulence.org/tmp/minecraft-world.tgz -O- | \
        tar -xvz

In Windows, your best bet is 7-Zip, which I find extracts all archive formats faster than others anyway.

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

Yeah, I'm not using the server right now. I'm waiting for inventory and mobs.

Ditto :'(

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

I just haven't been playing at all. Too many other games to play.

---
MiquelFire.red

Billybob
Member #3,136
January 2003

Survival Multiplayer has server-side inventory and such now. YAY! 8-)

Go to: