Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » More Minecraft!

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
More Minecraft!
deps
Member #3,858
September 2003

I'm up for it, Neil. :)

---
Layers are good, all good things have layers, like onions. Good things also stink. - Trezker
I now have a page and a blog!

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

My only issue with that plan is keeping track of time in the caves. It's possible to spend days in a cave and not know it.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

The two servers known to me:

• dev.castopulence.org

I recommend adding a hostname entry into your system configuration for the second one so that you can remember a simple name instead of an IP. :) In Linux, edit /etc/hosts. In Windows, edit %WINDIR%\System32\drivers\etc\hosts. Add a line such as '97.107.134.80 dmc' and save the file. You can then connect to the server with just 'dmc' (decepto's Minecraft server) instead of the full IP.

I'm not even sure if decepto's server is still running (I haven't played Minecraft in a couple of days). I think decepto said that he was going to get a different server.

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

My only issue with that plan is keeping track of time in the caves. It's possible to spend days in a cave and not know it.

Yeah, that would be tricky. I think it could be remedied by knowing how many minutes a full day & night cycle last and then multiply it by seven. That way when it's your turn you know that you can play for x minutes, which equates to 7 in game days.

I imagine that's how Something Awful did it...

=================================================
Paul whoknows: Why is this thread still open?
Onewing: Because it is a pthread: a thread for me to pee on.

decepto
Member #7,102
April 2006

bamccaig said:

I'm not even sure if decepto's server is still running

No, it's down. It will stay down until a decently playable server is released. Once that happens, I'll buy a budget dedicated server with at least 2 gigs of ram.

As for passing around a saved game, I'm down for that. I don't think we should really be worried about playing "X number of days". I say, just play for how you want for one or two "real" days, then pass the save file onto someone else.

--------------------------------------------------
Boom!

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

I think it could be remedied by knowing how many minutes a full day & night cycle last and then multiply it by seven.

The guy organizing it on the Minecraft forums said that seven in-game days is one hundred forty minutes. This would mean that each cycle is twenty minutes, a figure the wiki agrees with.

I found seven days to be too long for me (I joined the guys on the Minecraft forums), but that might have been because it was so late and I was tired. I made it through five days.

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

bamccaig said:

The two servers known to me:

Why do you hide such things in spoiler tags? Does not compute....

decepto
Member #7,102
April 2006

Oh! I just had a great idea!

From my understanding, the world data is pretty well distributed among files and folders. I'm not sure exactly how world data is laid out, but if chucks are separated well enough, we might be able to do a Git repository. That way we could all play simultaneously and just check in our changes.

Boom!

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

decepto said:

Oh! I just had a great idea!

What if two people try to update the same chunk?

I'm suddenly imagining a giant cobblestone tower being melded with a wooden temple because two people built in the same place.

Jonatan Hedborg
Member #4,886
July 2004

decepto said:

we might be able to do a Git repository. That way we could all play simultaneously and just check in our changes.

...Or we could just play network multi-player ;)

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

I'm suddenly imagining a giant cobblestone tower being melded with a wooden temple because two people built in the same place.

Using source control to distribute a world would work if there was a set turn list and each person updated their local copy before playing. I suppose it would be more streamlined than manually zipping a world, sending it to the next player on the turn list, having that player extract & replace the world, and so on and so forth.

But, as Neil pointed out... if I decided to work on the world after my turn (or before my turn) all bets are off that something terrible doesn't happen.

decepto
Member #7,102
April 2006

But, as Neil pointed out... if I decided to work on the world after my turn (or before my turn) all bets are off that something terrible doesn't happen.

Well, the repository's owner would need to approve commits. Also, I don't think we'd troll each other like that.
܁
܁
܁
܁
܁
܁
...or would we? 8-)

Boom!

someone972
Member #7,719
August 2006

Meh, seems like it may be more trouble than it's worth. Unless it was turn based there wouldn't be much point to building anything worthwhile for fear of overwriting/corrupting it. Plus it looks like Notch is fixing up the chests, so a usable multi-player probably isn't too far away. Just my 2¢.

EDIT: Oh, and someone PM the server address, I've been looking forward to seeing whats going on :D.

Theory is when you know something, but it doesn't work. Practice is when something works, but you don't know why. Programmers combine theory and practice: Nothing works and they don't know why. -Unknown
I have recklessly set in motion a chain of events with the potential to so-drastically change the path of my life that I can only find it to be beautifully frightening.

Crazy Photon
Member #2,588
July 2002

someone792: see bam's hidden spoiler.

-----
Resistance is NEVER futile...

Trezker
Member #1,739
December 2001

Perhaps you could use a marking system. Each player gets a way of marking an area he wants to work with so others know where not to play around.

I leave the details to you.

deps
Member #3,858
September 2003

I would prefer a zip we mail/upload/whatever between players.
Git would work, if only one posts and it's moderated. Do everyone have/know git?

Let's get this show on the road! I have only a few, and short, shifts at work for the next 7 days. :)
(But I might be unavailable this weekend. LD48 takes priority!)

---
Layers are good, all good things have layers, like onions. Good things also stink. - Trezker
I now have a page and a blog!

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Is anybody familiar with the world format(s)? Text is often automatically merge-able because of it's nature. Typically, it suffices to base the merges on line-based differences. With a binary file, you no longer know of a given boundary to merge on. All that you know is that the file was A and now it's B. I highly doubt Notch is storing the world data as text. At least, not all text. It would be considerably more wasteful and really the worlds are probably too large and complex to edit by hand anyway. I see no real value in text worlds. Assuming Notch is using binary for the things that matter, Git will be unable to merge worlds. It will also be impossible for a human to review changesets to make sure that somebody played by the rules. You might as well just use a simple "stick" mechanism. Whoever has the stick, or latest zip, gets to play. Come up with a schedule, like was done for the translation exercise, and only pass the zip on to the next player. Or just post them to the forum and use the honor system.

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

bamccaig said:

Is anybody familiar with the world format(s)? Text is often automatically merge-able because of it's nature. Typically, it suffices to base the merges on line-based differences. With a binary file, you no longer know of a given boundary to merge on. All that you know is that the file was A and now it's B. I highly doubt Notch is storing the world data as text. At least, not all text. It would be considerably more wasteful and really the worlds are probably too large and complex to edit by hand anyway. I see no real value in text worlds. Assuming Notch is using binary for the things that matter, Git will be unable to merge worlds. It will also be impossible for a human to review changesets to make sure that somebody played by the rules. You might as well just use a simple "stick" mechanism. Whoever has the stick, or latest zip, gets to play. Come up with a schedule, like was done for the translation exercise, and only pass the zip on to the next player. Or just post them to the forum and use the honor system.

The world data is stored as binary data (across a bajillion files). There is a guide somewhere on the wiki for parsing out & manipulating the data. That being said, the scm (whether it be git, svn, etc) would still work but it would have to be done in an orderly fashion (aka "passing the stick", aka what I said before). I think the original idea was that it would be easier for everyone to simply checkout->play->commit/push then download a zip file->extract the zip file->play->zip everything up->send to next person in the turn order. It would be like passing the stick using SCM if you will. Of course as deps points out this assumes that everyone has access to whatever method of SVN we use.

Meh, seems like it may be more trouble than it's worth. Unless it was turn based there wouldn't be much point to building anything worthwhile for fear of overwriting/corrupting it. Plus it looks like Notch is fixing up the chests, so a usable multi-player probably isn't too far away. Just my 2¢.

There is always this too. I'd imagine that Notch is going to release many bugfixes soon (if he hasn't already).

Edit: Secret Friday Update

* Fences added.
* Day/Night cycle added to multiplayer.
* Chickens and pigs added to multiplayer.
* You can now empty your bucket of milk by using it on the ground.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Updated the server. Not sure what happened, but it wasn't even running... :-/ My personal stdio log isn't very reliable so there's no real indication of what happened... :-/ Let me know if you try to connect and can't.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

I connected fine just now. I didn't even realize there had been a problem. I was just testing the new multiplayer stuff.

The new fences annoy me. They're the height of one block, but I can't jump up on them.

Jonatan Hedborg
Member #4,886
July 2004

The new fences annoy me. They're the height of one block, but I can't jump up on them.

Isn't it that behavior that makes it a fence...?

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

Isn't it that behavior that makes it a fence...?

It is annoying because normally you can jump over things that are one block high. The fences should be 1.5 blocks tall in order for the player to not be able to jump them.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

It is annoying because normally you can jump over things that are one block high. The fences should be 1.5 blocks tall in order for the player to not be able to jump them.

Exactly. It's the same height as everything else I can jump over, so naturally it annoys me that I can't jump over it.

someone972
Member #7,719
August 2006

Anyone still playing on bamccaig's server? I've been on a couple times but haven't seen anyone :-/. I'll be on for a little while longer, in case anyone wants to hop on.

Theory is when you know something, but it doesn't work. Practice is when something works, but you don't know why. Programmers combine theory and practice: Nothing works and they don't know why. -Unknown
I have recklessly set in motion a chain of events with the potential to so-drastically change the path of my life that I can only find it to be beautifully frightening.

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

I go on once in a while, but no one is there at the time, and I just go to one of my personal worlds instead.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Go to: