Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » More Minecraft!

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
More Minecraft!
Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Billybob said:

Perhaps a town? Just lay out basic pathways and land plots, and then anyone can come in and build a house/castle/art store.

I call Mayor!

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I got tired of navigating the mess that I made near the bottom of my tower so I TNT'd the fuck out of it... Now it's pretty bad and still not completely clean. And now the walls have to be redone. :P

deps
Member #3,858
September 2003

On what server is this city going to get built? And I hope you are careful with the IP because I don't want a bunch of griefers "raiders" nuking it to smithereens with hacked in TNT and paint the world black with obsidian. :/

---
Layers are good, all good things have layers, like onions. Good things also stink. - Trezker
I now have a page and a blog!

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

If we do it on bamccaig's server, then I've already got a head start on painting the world black with obsidian. :P

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

If we do it on bamccaig's server, then I've already got a head start on painting the world black with obsidian. :P

:P Until the new map is generated, which will probably happen when all the issues are worked out :)

=================================================
Paul whoknows: Why is this thread still open?
Onewing: Because it is a pthread: a thread for me to pee on.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Once I finish reading about IPC in Perl I will begin implementing my wrapper. A possible feature could be a whitelist (or blacklist) of players, those disallowed being automatically kicked when they join (though hopefully they don't attempt to DoS attack the server in retaliation). Could also blacklist (or whitelist) IPs (perhaps on a temporary basis to account for dynamic IPs). votekick and voteban are good features of any online game. In practice though, I find most players only vote when something directly affects them, and it usually only affects a small percentage of the server at a time. My implementation could always log the name/IP of the offender and take a reason string from the voter so that it could be reviewed later by administrators. :) Whether or not decepto wants to run my script is another question. :P There are also other scripts already implemented, but I prefer writing my own.

deps
Member #3,858
September 2003

decepto, your server went down shortly after you left for work... :/

---
Layers are good, all good things have layers, like onions. Good things also stink. - Trezker

decepto
Member #7,102
April 2006

It's back up for the time being.

It looks like 512mb of memory is not enough. Or the issue may be that I'm running on a VPS rather than a dedicated box. Either way, I'm going to make the world data available after I get home from work. I'm then going to shut down the server until I can find a decent dedicated box to host from.

--------------------------------------------------
Boom!

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

If bamccaig wants to host the game more permanently, he has more memory available to him. Should he need it, that is.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

That is true, but I do intend to have a separate VM for production. If I go ahead with server-side Java then I'm sure having some RAM to spare is a good thing. ;) Besides, the only problems we're experiencing on my server that might be related to the memory is the pickup bug and the respawning blocks bug. They're inconvenient, but I don't have that much RAM available. ;)

I guess we could leave 200 MB for the production VM on a test basis and allocate the rest to development, whatever that is. If that proves insufficient for production in the future then we can make the necessary adjustments. :)

Slartibartfast
Member #8,789
June 2007

If someone buys the game for me I can host a server on my laptop, I'm out all day anyway :P

Yes, I'm lurking the Minecraft thread even though I don't have the game. I do it because it seems like a really cool game :X

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

bamccaig said:

My server should now have about 700 MB allocated for minecraft!

Where is this extra memory coming from???

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Where is this extra memory coming from???

We did the upgrade.

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

You! Muahahaha! :D With you coming onboard we were able to upgrade the RAM (I thought you knew this). Which means we all get a bigger share of memory, or at least I think we do. :-X

/beaten

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Quote:

You! Muahahaha! :D With you coming onboard we were able to upgrade the RAM (I thought you knew this). Which means we all get a bigger share of memory, or at least I think we do. :-X

Yup. Lots more.

--

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

bamccaig said:

You! Muahahaha!

Me? Muahahaha! Excellent <wrings hands>

Notch is adding banning support! :D

deps
Member #3,858
September 2003

New server software is released. Is it time to start a new map and build a kickass city now? :)

---

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

I'd say wait until most of the bugs are fixed, inventory is server-side, and mobs are in.

In other news, I'll be gone for the next four days, so I won't be able to log on. No massive city building without me! (Unless you really want to ;) )

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Updated my server. The admin console is quite a bit enhanced now. :) Apparently you can make players operators! Thank god I didn't actually write my wrapper yet as it seems Notch will make much of its intended functionality obsolete before I finish. :D Another sweet enhancement is the ability to teleport players to each other. :D Only one of us ever has to walk again! The give command has also been enhanced with a count parameter, so hopefully no more bash for loops for me. ;D

decepto
Member #7,102
April 2006

Can someone PM me bam's server IP? Thanks!

--------------------------------------------------
Boom!

Crazy Photon
Member #2,588
July 2002

Sent you the address via PM, you can ping it to get the IP (or remove http and you can enter the hostname).

-----
Resistance is NEVER futile...

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Unfortunately, the give command seems to max. the give count parameter at 64 (one full slot). That's still substantially more than you could get the honest way, but when you're used to distributing 256 or 512 items at a time it's a real slow down. :'(

** EDIT **

The server isn't configured specially (JVM wise). What I posted above is basically what is running now, except that the memory has increased from 400 MB to 700 MB (and for cleanliness the launcher script now changes to a hidden directory to control the current working directory). Note that I'm running OpenJDK (IcedTea on Gentoo), not the Sun JRE as Notch recommends, and at least with the Gentoo configuration it defaults to running with the -server option, which is allegedly faster.

I still experience the same pickup bug though (even alone on the server) so I'm not sure that anything has really improved with the extra memory. I'm also not convinced that it's a memory deficiency. Even with the server freshly started I seem to experience the bug. It's possible that it's a side effect of the existing world. I also experience toggling blocks now when laying them, but the server seems to get it right after a second has passed. It just resets your position relatively regularly, slowing down your progress slightly.

I suppose the server might last longer now with the extra memory. It might be a good exercise for me to add a restart mechanism to cron, but the hard part is figuring out how to do a "safe" restart. :P I think currently it will require a buffer program between stdio and the server. I'm not even aware of whether or not the latest version still suffers from what we believed to be a (slow) memory leak. It's certainly playable though. I am using quite a lot more CPU time than the other server members, but until they use it I guess it's free to use.

You can build stuff without any serious problems. That part is stored fine server-side. Though, as indicated, the existing world will likely be replaced by me when the inventory bugs are fixed (I can publish it if anyone wants it), so in that sense current progress is somewhat futile (though experimenting now is a lot cheaper than later). Inventories are what is lost. Until next week, when those bugs are presumably going to be fixed, I'm happy to give any respected members operator privileges which basically lets you execute console commands. That will let you grant yourself inventory on a whim (I can publish my current name => id map if anyone is interested). Someone helped me determine that operators do not get feedback with server-side commands so you'll need to just have faith that they worked. :P

This should help:

Quote:

help
2010-08-13 01:36:01 [INFO] To run the server without a gui, start it like this:
2010-08-13 01:36:01 [INFO]    java -Xmx1024M -Xms1024M -jar minecraft_server.jar nogui
2010-08-13 01:36:01 [INFO] Console commands:
2010-08-13 01:36:01 [INFO]    help  or  ?               shows this message
2010-08-13 01:36:01 [INFO]    kick <player>             removes a player from the server
2010-08-13 01:36:01 [INFO]    ban <player>              bans a player from the server
2010-08-13 01:36:01 [INFO]    pardon <player>           pardons a banned player so that they can connect again
2010-08-13 01:36:01 [INFO]    ban-ip <ip>               bans an IP address from the server
2010-08-13 01:36:01 [INFO]    pardon-ip <ip>            pardons a banned IP address so that they can connect again
2010-08-13 01:36:01 [INFO]    op <player>               turns a player into an op
2010-08-13 01:36:01 [INFO]    deop <player>             removes op status from a player
2010-08-13 01:36:01 [INFO]    tp <player1> <player2>    moves one player to the same location as another player
2010-08-13 01:36:01 [INFO]    give <player> <id> [num]  gives a player a resource
2010-08-13 01:36:01 [INFO]    stop                      gracefully stops the server
2010-08-13 01:36:01 [INFO]    save-all                  forces a server-wide level save
2010-08-13 01:36:01 [INFO]    save-off                  disables terrain saving (useful for backup scripts)
2010-08-13 01:36:01 [INFO]    save-on                   re-enables terrain saving
2010-08-13 01:36:01 [INFO]    list                      lists all currently connected players
2010-08-13 01:36:01 [INFO]    say <message>             broadcasts a message to all players

As hinted above, when operators currently execute commands (in the form /command args...), the output is displayed on the server console, not to the operators/clients. With that in mind, I have a log of everything you do. ;)

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

I read a great idea on the Minecraft forums today, which I am stealing and proposing here.

Basically, someone starts a single player game in Alpha. They play for seven minecraft days, building and exploring normally, and then they pass the save file along to someone else. Then that person plays for seven minecraft days and then passes the save file along.

The community has done something similar with Dwarf Fortress in the past: here

It seems to have stopped being updated, but it still seems like a fun idea. Anyone else interested?

Erikster
Member #9,510
February 2008

Can someone PM the server's IP to me? Thank you ;D

Cat! I'm a kitty cat. And I dance dance dance, and I dance dance dance.

Go to: