Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » More Minecraft!

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
More Minecraft!
Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

It was right before the time his blog said he was leaving. I don't know about the name color thing. But if it was an impostor (more likely, I know), he was really dedicated. He spent about an hour listening to ideas and taking bug reports.

It could very well have been him, which is turbo neat!

I think it's really cool that the developer is so in touch with the community.

=================================================
Paul whoknows: Why is this thread still open?
Onewing: Because it is a pthread: a thread for me to pee on.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

They guy that griefed me earlier built a big wall. When he asked people to help him gather stone for it, they started gathering from the wall he was building. When he told them to use the mine, they asked, "why? There's all this stone just lying around out here!"

Now, I don't believe in karma. But sometimes I have to wonder...

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Its fine to run it on your VM. All it'll do is use up your dedicated chunk of memory.

I suppose you're right. I started with -Xmx1024M -Xms1024M, which to the best of my knowledge tells the VM to allocate 1 GiB of memory, but perhaps Linux fakes it until it's actually needed. I know that the console log was warning of impending doom, which probably means that it won't run sufficiently anyway. :( Which is sad. I always wanted a game server.

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

They guy that griefed me earlier built a big wall. When he asked people to help him gather stone for it, they started gathering from the wall he was building. When he told them to use the mine, they asked, "why? There's all this stone just lying around out here!"

Serves him right.

One of the servers I logged into had people collaborating to build a giant floating castle. It was pretty impressive. Too bad the wood parts were on fire :(

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Serves him right.

Maybe. But I still spent 20 minutes gathering stone to help him rebuild.

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

bamccaig said:

I suppose you're right. I started with -Xmx1024M -Xms1024M, which to the best of my knowledge tells the VM to allocate 1GiB of memory, but perhaps Linux fakes it until it's actually needed. I know that the console log was warning of impending doom, which probably means that it won't run sufficiently anyway. :( Which is sad. I always wanted a game server.

Yeah, that would tell the VM to make the initial heap size 1GB, and also make the maximum heap size 1GB.

Actually, 256MB might be fine for a few players... Some images on the forums show screenshots of servers that have 3 or so players connected and the server is only consuming like 53MB.

When I get home I'll do some more testing and see how it does with 2 or 3 people connected.

Edit:

Maybe. But I still spent 20 minutes gathering stone to help him rebuild.

I don't know if I would have helped him rebuild. I don't think I would sabotage his work, but I don't think I would help him without an apology.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

I don't know if I would have helped him rebuild. I don't think I would sabotage his work, but I don't think I would help him without an apology.

What those guys did to him wasn't right. They tore down an hour of work in thirty seconds.

Griefing is going to be terrible in SMP. There's like five guys on now that are clogging the chat with hate speech. Calling people words I'd get shot for saying whenever someone logs in. It's really getting annoying.

At least they got bored of tearing stuff down. :-/

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

And that's why an online multiplayer game can be brilliantly designed, masterfully produced, perfectly balanced and still be crap on a stick.

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

It might help to make it harder to mine, therefore requiring more effort to grief, and leaving them vulnerable to attack for longer. Of course, that would slow the entire game down. Could always orchestrate the server into an ant colony, with worker ants to gather, farm, mine and build, and soldier ants to hunt down and kill griefers. ;D

You basically just need administrators. Giving the players voting privileges helps too. It's no fun to abuse people if they can get you kicked and banned with a 30 second effort a minute after you start.

Minecraft servers will need mature admins and possibly a votekick/voteban feature for when the admins aren't around. :) Even more fun than getting them kicked or banned though is abusing them. For example, freezing them in one spot, or setting them on fire, or throwing them across the map. These are the things that generally work in Counter-Strike, so long as you have a mature admin around to use them properly. :)

If decepto doesn't come through today then I'll try to set up a temporary server and see if it performs well enough for a few people to join... :-/

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Should we keep the server private? Maybe give out the IP through PM? Or will we let anyone who finds this thread join in?

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

Should we keep the server private? Maybe give out the IP through PM? Or will we let anyone who finds this thread join in?

I was going to say just post it in this thread, but I changed my mind. I think for now it should be left private. In the future when the server software has more management features (passwords, banlists, etc) then we can make it public (if we decide). All it takes is one griefer to ruin things...

Jonatan Hedborg
Member #4,886
July 2004

So, do we have a server? If so, feel free to send me a PM with the IP :)

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

So, do we have a server? If so, feel free to send me a PM with the IP

Aye, me too!

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

PM me the IP as well.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Arvidsson
Member #4,603
May 2004

Me too!

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

How hard is it to run a server? And how good of a computer and internet connection do you need? I wouldn't mind running one myself if it didn't require buying a better computer or dedicating the one I have to the task.

verthex
Member #11,340
September 2009

How hard is it to run a server? And how good of a computer and internet connection do you need? I wouldn't mind running one myself if it didn't require buying a better computer or dedicating the one I have to the task.

I'm no expert but I know that ram is one issue. On chip cpu cache is useful in terms of data transfers and xeon chips are made for that. I think its easy to make windows into a server though and you can google that part but the hardware is somewhat dependent on a lot of factors but mostly on the game itself (its really trial and error and you should try doing it).

BZflag can be setup very easily just by choosing the server option in the game and you're off, although I've never tried it myself.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I've heard that the biggest problem with game servers is actually the bandwidth. Hardware is relatively cheap nowadays, but bandwidth is still a little pricey. I was going to try to run a Counter-Strike server on my makeshift server a year or so ago, but when I asked the owner of a Counter-Strike server whether it would be sufficient hardware-wise he said that it probably was more than sufficient (after all, quad-core with 8 GB RAM), but the actual limiting factor is usually bandwidth. Obviously, with my crappy DSL residential connection (and those always have really low upload speeds), there was no way I could handle the throughput required.

The only Minecraft server that I currently know about ;) is running a dedicated server at a presumably professional hosting company, so the bandwidth is quite high compared to the average home connection (at least, here in North America...). It also has a pretty decent processor and to my knowledge is text-based all around (so no GUIs to power), but it's sharing that processing power with numerous virtual machines, and inside each, many service daemons. It also doesn't have that much memory. It was running sufficiently with 256 MB of RAM, but it now has closer to 400 MB.

The only hiccup that I'm aware of is when the gods gifted you 70000 stones at once. :( I'm told that it looked like a scene from the exorcist before the frame rate dropped to <1 FPS...

You have nothing to lose by trying (except loyalty >:(). I imagine it will probably perform better in Linux, as Java tends to do, but that's not to say that it won't suffice in Windows.

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

Quote:

You have nothing to lose by trying (except loyalty >:().

Geez! I already told you... I set up a local server for just myself and my fianceƩ...

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Quote:

You have nothing to lose by trying (except loyalty >:().

And framerates of <1 fps as the gods gift thousands of items at once. ;)

EDIT:

But really, I was just wanting to fool around with the admin abilities.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Sadly, there isn't much to fool around with yet:

Minecraft "Alpha" Server help Command said:

help
2010-08-06 17:32:13 [INFO] To run the server without a gui, start it like this:
2010-08-06 17:32:13 [INFO]    java -Xmx1024M -Xms1024M -jar minecraft_server.jar nogui
2010-08-06 17:32:13 [INFO] Console commands:
2010-08-06 17:32:13 [INFO]    help  or  ?          shows this message
2010-08-06 17:32:13 [INFO]    kick <player>        removes a player from the server
2010-08-06 17:32:13 [INFO]    give <player> <id>   gives a player a resource
2010-08-06 17:32:13 [INFO]    stop                 gracefully stops the server
2010-08-06 17:32:13 [INFO]    list                 lists all currently connected players
2010-08-06 17:32:13 [INFO]    say <message>        broadcasts a message to all players

I heard a rumor that somebody is going to try to create a player interface for the useful options (kick, give, list). :o

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

I've gotta ask you guys, what do you think about griefing?

Over the last hour or so (in between doing other stuff), I've been arguing with a guy on the Minecraft forums. His claim is that griefers add extra challenge to survival multiplayer, making it a more exciting and rewarding experience. Do you agree? Disagree? Why or why not?

I suddenly feel like I'm writing homework assignments for high-schoolers. "Agree-disagree? Why or why not?" was a common trend in my high school.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

what do you think about griefing?

The punks think they can hide behind a few hundred miles of wire. Once every few years, somebody brags to me how they can (and sometimes do) "crash" peoples computers. I enjoy making them sweat, as they wonder if I'm actually going to beat their ass or not while I rant, obviously angry enough to be unpredictable.

[EDIT]

I was going to play a bit of Quake Live single player yesterday, but the page said Doing Maintainance for many hours. I just tried it again now, and there seems to be some major overhaul with some sort of new Punkbuster EULA. I may have to try playing Sevalcpp again.

[EDIT2]

And it just crashed FF 4 times in a row. Maybe next week....

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

decepto
Member #7,102
April 2006

Server is up:

--------------------------------------------------
Boom!

Go to: