Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » More Minecraft!

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
More Minecraft!
Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

I would, but I'm working on building stuff with random people already. I don't want to abandon them.

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

I would, but I'm working on building stuff with random people already. I don't want to abandon them.

That's cool. Is it fun? How buggy is it?

=================================================
Paul whoknows: Why is this thread still open?
Onewing: Because it is a pthread: a thread for me to pee on.

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

Your server works. Seems as though the chunk where the spawn is is fixed. Place something down in the area, and it will disappear, try to break something, and it reappears.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

It's pretty buggy. Chests and furnaces eat your stuff. Blocks have a tendency to reappear after being mined, possibly suffocating you. Also, someone just got stuck in a minecart, only escaping by right-clicking wildly.

But it's totally awesome in every conceivable way.

mEmO
Member #1,124
March 2001

Yeah, it's pretty buggy. Got connected to your server, but the client crashed before I could figure out how to talk to miquel. But mr. Black got it right; this is pure awesome!

---------------------------------------------
There is only one God, and Connor is his son!
http://www.memocomputers.com
Happy birthday!

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

To talk, you need to hit T. I thought that was you.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

mEmO
Member #1,124
March 2001

Yeah, but it crashed when I went into he options menu to check the controls. I'll give it another shot when I get home tonight.

---------------------------------------------
There is only one God, and Connor is his son!
http://www.memocomputers.com
Happy birthday!

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

People are already trading. One guy is growing cactus, I did some wheat, and the guys I'm building with have made a huge wall of bamboo dozens of blocks long.

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

Your server works. Seems as though the chunk where the spawn is is fixed. Place something down in the area, and it will disappear, try to break something, and it reappears.

Sweet. I was going batty this morning trying to determine why I was unable to connect. I even (temporarily) put the server in the DMZ and turned off all the firewalls and was still unable to connect by using my external IP.

It's pretty buggy. Chests and furnaces eat your stuff. Blocks have a tendency to reappear after being mined, possibly suffocating you. Also, someone just got stuck in a minecart, only escaping by right-clicking wildly.

But it's totally awesome in every conceivable way.

;D I can't wait to play this! How did you get carts and tracks without smelting iron ore? I'm guessing there are server commands to give items?

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

If you're behind your own router, your router may not support using your public IP address to connect.

Also, there is a give command.

---
MiquelFire.red

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

I'm guessing there are server commands to give items?

/iron is the only one I know. Someone else mentioned /wood for saplings, but I haven't tried it.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

bamccaig said:

I assume the server runs in Linux. :) Maybe I could set one up on dev.castopulence.org. ;D

Yeah, it's a .jar file. I think I remember Notch saying that it would probably need at least a gig of ram in order to operate smoothly with a decent amount of players.

My server is currently set to use 1GB, but I could probably push it to 1.5 or 2 if needed.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

That was easy. :) Done. Server is running on dev.castopulence.org. Feel free to play on it, but please nobody exploit it (if there are vulnerabilities in the server, for example). :) There is a console where I can issue commands! I can totally kick you or grant you stuff!

Ah, no, wait... There isn't enough RAM on the server. :-X Stopped. Thomas Fjellstrom and Elias would kill me. :D

decepto
Member #7,102
April 2006

I'll put up the server once I get home today. It should be up around 7pm MST.

--------------------------------------------------
Boom!

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

decepto said:

I'll put up the server once I get home today. It should be up around 7pm MST.

That's like 6pm EST... w00t!

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

I did not sleep at all last night.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

decepto, where's that server?

EDIT:

Weirdest greifing ever. Someone encased a guy's iron stockpile in obsidian. No telling how long it took just to find the diamond to mine the obsidian.

Jonatan Hedborg
Member #4,886
July 2004

Weirdest greifing ever. Someone encased a guy's iron stockpile in obsidian. No telling how long it took just to find the diamond to mine the obsidian.

Inventory management is still client-side, so that could have been a hack (should be pretty trivial to memory hack the client).

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Yeah, I wasn't thinking about that when I posted.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

bamccaig said:

Ah, no, wait... There isn't enough RAM on the server. :-X Stopped. Thomas Fjellstrom and Elias would kill me. :D

Its fine to run it on your VM. All it'll do is use up your dedicated chunk of memory.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Notch stopped by the server I was on. Well, he was named Notch. And he acted like I imagine Notch would act. But, this being the internet, and me being the paranoid person that I am, I'm pretty skeptical that it was actually Notch, and will remain so unless Notch himself (on his blog or whatever) mentions hopping onto that SMP server.

Still, if it was him, it was totally awesome.

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

So what is the server address of decepto's server?

I did some experimenting last night and joined a couple of servers listed in the minecraft forums. It was really laggy, and everything was burning...

I also messed around on my own server (which is now down). As a server admin you have the ability to give any player any item/block you want, but it only seems to give them 1 of that item/block.

Also, I was surprised to see that when I tried digging/manipulating blocks in the spawn area, the server started logging error messages about some kind of mismatch... I thought it was just a rule that blocks near the spawn point could not be moved, but it may be more of a bug for now...

Notch stopped by the server I was on. Well, he was named Notch. And he acted like I imagine Notch would act. But, this being the internet, and me being the paranoid person that I am, I'm pretty skeptical that it was actually Notch, and will remain so unless Notch himself (on his blog or whatever) mentions hopping onto that SMP server.

That would be awesome. I think he is in Germany at Big Jam so I kind of doubt it was really him. Doesn't his name show up in a different colour as well?

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

I think he is in Germany at Big Jam so I kind of doubt it was really him. Doesn't his name show up in a different colour as well?

It was right before the time his blog said he was leaving. I don't know about the name color thing. But if it was an impostor (more likely, I know), he was really dedicated. He spent about an hour listening to ideas and taking bug reports.

Anyway, a greifer decided to shop up and start setting fire to the wooden floors of my castle. So now I have stone floors. :P Then he went and started playing like a normal person.

Go to: