Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » More Minecraft!

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
More Minecraft!
Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

Snow maps! A random chance when generating a new map to get a snowy wonderland! It's awesome.

I cheated and hacked my level.dat file to have

SnowCovered:1

I'm kinda getting tired of constantly starting new worlds to get all the new content>:(

bamccaig said:

I was curious if I'd have time to see if there were any precious metals inside before my oxygen supply was expended.

You can take an empty bucket with you under water ... fill it when you are running out of air/health which will make temporarily make one block void of water just long enough to refill your air meter. Supposedly (according to the forum post I got that from) you can then dump the bucket and refill when you are running low again...

=================================================
Paul whoknows: Why is this thread still open?
Onewing: Because it is a pthread: a thread for me to pee on.

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Just curious how "online" this game is. Can I play it from home and work and develop the same world, or would it be two separate games on two separate hard drives?

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

It used to have online saving, from what I understand. I think it got to be too much, what with thousands of people making multiple maps each. So now it's saved locally.

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Can I buy it once and use it on multiple computers, then?

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Yes. There's an in-browser version and a downloadable client. You can use either on any computer. If you want to play on your saved maps, though, you'll need to carry them in a flash drive. And currently the infinite map saves have a huge number of files, so that's kind of unwieldy.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Yes. You login using your credentials (sort of like Steam) and can play. Even the local version (you can download an auto-updating copy now for offline play) works that way. As for playing the same world on multiple computers, it should [theoretically] work fine if you make backups of your configuration and share it between machines (though no guarantees that the save format is platform independent). On Windows, this is %APPDATA%\.minecraft. On *nix systems, I'm guessing it would instead be $HOME/.minecraft. I'm not 100% sure that it works still, but months ago it worked fine to share save files to explore each others' maps. At that time, it was a single file. Now there seems to be a directory full instead.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Pigs spawn like crazy inside my mine. I have so much ham I'm having to make extra chest just for holding it.

At least I'll never have to worry about food.

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

I can confirm that under Windows it's just a matter of copying the world directory (from your APPDATA directory like bamccaig said) from one machine to another. The World file sizes are usually pretty small and grow larger depending on the area you explore.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I'm kinda getting tired of constantly starting new worlds to get all the new content>:(

You're playing a public alpha of a game. :P Choose your battles man.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

Quote:

You're playing a public alpha of a game. :P Choose your battles man.

I'm aware of that ;D I didn't mean to sound like I was complaining, although I'm not sure why I stuck an angry smiley at the end (it should have been a winky smiley).

I'll happily generate a new world when I absolutely cannot fudge the new feature/content in easily. In the case of the snow, it was just a matter of changing one number in the data file.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

You can now throw snowballs, and craft snow into blocks and build with it!

Also, Notch is apparently making good progress on survival multiplayer. :D

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I save and quit and then execute this every 10 - 15 minutes. :o

/cygdrive/c/Users/bamccaig/bin/mcb.sh#SelectExpand
1#!/bin/bash 2 3cd /cygdrive/c/Users/bamccaig/AppData/Roaming/ && \ 4 tar -czf ~/minecraft-`date +%s`.tgz .minecraft/

In the case of the snow, it was just a matter of changing one number in the data file.

<cough>Which number?</cough>

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

In the root of the world save, there's a file called level.dat

Use NBTEdit to change it.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Billybob
Member #3,136
January 2003

I cheated and hacked my level.dat file to have

SnowCovered:1

bamccaig said:

I save and quit and then execute this every 10 - 15 minutes

Minecraft Time Travel!! 8-)

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

You want me to download and execute a binary-only program? :o Somebody binary-diff it to get the offset and number. :P

Oscar Giner
Member #2,207
April 2002

bamccaig said:

You want me to download and execute a binary-only program?

If you play minecraft you already did I guess :P (yes, even if it's a jave aplet it actually gets downloaded, and yes there are viruses written in java, and also yes there are viruses that work inside java applets that exploit java vulnerabilities).

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Yeah, but Minecraft is different. It's a successful video game project that is paid for. There's no reason to be malicious with it. There's also decent reason to not open source it (at least, not right away). However, a tool that merely opens the level file and modifies its values is of little use in binary-only form and is a very good candidate for malicious code (the developer could be unknown to the community, etc.). It turns out that the library apparently is open source, which makes it even more baffling (and perhaps alarming) that the program isn't. I ran it anyway though (after being sufficiently confident that it's probably maybe safe). >:(

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

You want to be a Linux zealot just as bad as you want to be American, don't you? They're the only ones who think binaries are useless and that everything should be free source code on a silver platter.

CursedTyrant
Member #7,080
April 2006

@bamccaig: You could've just used Sandboxie if you were concerned about malicious code.

EDIT: nevermind, you're probably not running it under Windows.

---------
Signature.
----
[My Website] | [My YouTube Channel]

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

He has tons of stuff right on his hard disk to check for malicious code.

[EDIT]

Of course since Linux file permissions actually work properly, that's a big help.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

BAF said:

You want to be a Linux zealot just as bad as you want to be American, don't you? They're the only ones who think binaries are useless and that everything should be free source code on a silver platter.

I tolerate binaries if they're coming from a trusted source. Bonus points if the author is willing to take accountability to any damages that may result from the execution of the binary. Funny though that even Microsoft with its billions requires you to agree to relieve them of any accountability for what the software may do to your system or data.

A random screen name on the Internet isn't trusted in my book. Especially on a platform famous for vulnerabilities and security holes. If you're not trying to sell it then there's little value in withholding the source code. Unless of course you're a horrible programmer afraid of getting torn to pieces by the Internet for your horrible code. Or I guess if it is malicious and you hope to sniff personal information, like passwords or credit card numbers.

@bamccaig: You could've just used Sandboxie if you were concerned about malicious code.

EDIT: nevermind, you're probably not running it under Windows.

I am in Windows right now actually. I've been running Seven at home pretty exclusively since I got it. Mostly because of games though. I never know when I want to jump into Counter-Strike or other Steam games and it's a pain to have to reboot for it.

I do non-graphical programming on my VPS (Debian-based) and Cygwin allows me to pretend I'm using a decent OS most of the time. There are still the occasional hiccups, etc., which still make it annoying.

Billybob
Member #3,136
January 2003

VirusTotal for future reference.

I took a whole truckload of TNT, set it all up in one place, and let it blow. MANNNN was that a big hole. 8-)

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Billybob said:

VirusTotal for future reference.

That's a cool concept, but it still requires trusting a third party that has nothing to gain by being honest with me. :)

Billybob said:

I took a whole truckload of TNT, set it all up in one place, and let it blow. MANNNN was that a big hole. 8-)

I'm still waiting to see if TNT ever becomes really feasible as a mining technique. The most I've ever had at a time is one block, IIRC. It's hard collecting the powder. :-/

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Of course since Linux file permissions actually work properly, that's a big help.

Really? That's not surprising though, Linux file permissions are so limited that even a monkey could code them to work properly. Windows permissions work too, and they are much much more flexible.

bamccaig said:

Funny though that even Microsoft with its billions requires you to agree to relieve them of any accountability for what the software may do to your system or data.

That's standard practice. Can you should me anybody who actually does take responsibility for damages?

Billybob
Member #3,136
January 2003

bamccaig said:

I'm still waiting to see if TNT ever becomes really feasible as a mining technique. The most I've ever had at a time is one block, IIRC. It's hard collecting the powder.

Agreed. Not only that, but even when you do have TNT it isn't that much faster than using a diamond pic-axe. You have to dig in a few blocks, place, activate, and run away. Then you have to go back, cleanup, place new torches, and repeat. You can't blow up a whole bunch at one time because a lot of the material gets lost. So, end result is that it's useless. :(

It'd be cool to build some sort of mining machine that used TNT automatically :P But I can't think of any way to do it with the current mechanics.

Go to: