Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » More Minecraft!

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
More Minecraft!
bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Awesome! Thanks! It looks like you can even set it and walk away and it'll continue to work and leave the loot there for you to collect! :o

Does armor/clothing do anything practical yet? Me is now wearing an iron helmet, vest, and pants! :D

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

I think armor does some damage reduction, but I'm not sure. Some sources say it prevents all damage, but I know that to be untrue (at least with fall damage).

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

It can be fueled with coal or wood, and maybe a couple of other materials, and will smelt stuff for you.

To expand:

One piece of coal yields 8 iron bars
One piece of wood yields 2 iron bars

What I usually do is make 4 furnaces and stack them 2x2 in a room near my mine shaft (or at the start of a large tunnel network) and wait until I have at least 32 iron ore before returning (on a set of 4 metal pickaxes I can usually take in more than 64). Then I divide my haul so that each furnace will have a multiple of 8 ore with the remainder staying in my inventory. While the ore is being smelted I take bars from a chest and make 4 more pickaxes and 8 more metal shovels (which are incredibly usefull for clearing out sand pockets in shafts and caves).

I have underground farms for trees, wheat, and pigs (thanks to the pig spawner I picked up in a dungeon) so I never need to venture up to the surface.

Billybob said:

I got tired of mindlessly digging under my base hoping for the occasional iron deposit. No iron means no railroads, which is no fun.

That happened to me on a map a while back. It seemed like I was only to find one or two blocks of iron per cave. I think it was actually a bug where the caves & tunnels were being generated after the ore, so large chunks of the vein were missing... I haven't run into that problem in recent updates though.

You can use Cartographer to make a top down view (or isometric view) of your explored world. You can then use cartographer to generate an ore map showing all coal,iron,gold, and diamond deposits and combine the two to show you exactly where everything is.

=================================================
Paul whoknows: Why is this thread still open?
Onewing: Because it is a pthread: a thread for me to pee on.

Jonatan Hedborg
Member #4,886
July 2004

thanks to the pig spawner I picked up in a dungeon

say what?

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

{"name":"makin-bacon.png","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/0\/5\/05f5e076972856c8e91e87816d4d199a.png","w":280,"h":280,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/0\/5\/05f5e076972856c8e91e87816d4d199a"}makin-bacon.png

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

What I usually do is make 4 furnaces and stack them 2x2 in a room near my mine shaft (or at the start of a large tunnel network) and wait until I have at least 32 iron ore before returning (on a set of 4 metal pickaxes I can usually take in more than 64). Then I divide my haul so that each furnace will have a multiple of 8 ore with the remainder staying in my inventory. While the ore is being smelted I take bars from a chest and make 4 more pickaxes and 8 more metal shovels (which are incredibly usefull for clearing out sand pockets in shafts and caves).

I have underground farms for trees, wheat, and pigs (thanks to the pig spawner I picked up in a dungeon) so I never need to venture up to the surface.

I am just starting out and I'm always disorganized when I do that. I don't even have a mine. Just a "camp" whose surface is littered with torches. I've been just finding surface-showing ores to mine for now and barely venturing underground. It's working out so far, but again it's very disorganized. I'll probably want to venture away from this camp and forget all about it eventually.

That happened to me on a map a while back. It seemed like I was only to find one or two blocks of iron per cave. I think it was actually a bug where the caves & tunnels were being generated after the ore, so large chunks of the vein were missing... I haven't run into that problem in recent updates though.

I was thinking the same thing was happening to me. I'd find a couple of blocks of iron, for example, but there'd nothing else around it. I'm not saying that's unrealistic or that every deposit should be huge, but it gave me the impression that the caves were carved out after the ore was mapped, and it just so happened to take most of the ore with it... Of course, I haven't gone deep yet (I've basically only been digging into "moutains") so there's always a chance that I'll find more later on. I've actually had no trouble finding lots of coal, but that's not very rare, I don't think. I did end up finding a decent stash of iron, but that's all so far. I used it to build armor.

You can use Cartographer to make a top down view (or isometric view) of your explored world. You can then use cartographer to generate an ore map showing all coal,iron,gold, and diamond deposits and combine the two to show you exactly where everything is.

That would be super useful, though I think it would also ruin the game somewhat... It would make it a lot easier to mess around with tracks and minecarts though. Perhaps Notch should introduce some way to detect certain ores. Maybe with sticks or something. :P

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

Quote:

thanks to the pig spawner I picked up in a dungeon

say what?

A while back Notch added dungeons, square-ish cobblestone rooms with mossy cobblestone floors that contain a monster spawner. (skeleton, spider, etc) and a chest with goodies. The monster spawner is a blue cage with a miniature monster spinning around inside. Every so often a full sized monster will pop out of the cage. After killing all the monsters you can mine the spawner with a pickaxe, except it turns into a pig spawner. Pigs randomly pop out of it. I have room with such a spawner as well as furnace :D

bamccaig said:

That would be super useful, though I think it would also ruin the game somewhat... It would make it a lot easier to mess around with tracks and minecarts though. Perhaps Notch should introduce some way to detect certain ores. Maybe with sticks or something.

Indeed. I only used the trick a handful of times to locate dungeons, just to experience the content. All new maps I only use Cartographer for making nice Overhead maps. Notch also made an isometric preview generator <a href="http://www.minecraft.net/infdev/preview.jsp>here</a>

Billybob
Member #3,136
January 2003

decepto said:

Seriously though, you're a great writer.

Thank you! That made me smile :)

That happened to me on a map a while back. It seemed like I was only to find one or two blocks of iron per cave.

That's a shame :( Luckily new areas are generated on the fly so I guess if I wander off, like I did on my adventure, I'll find the normal amount of iron.

The cartography program was useful for finding a dungeon, but since it's top down the ore map was fairly useless. It needs a density mode of some kind, so I know what areas have the most iron.

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

Billybob said:

The cartography program was useful for finding a dungeon, but since it's top down the ore map was fairly useless. It needs a density mode of some kind, so I know what areas have the most iron.

Funny you mention that...

When Cartographer was first released and I did my first ore map I got to thinking that since Cartographer can make a slice map (ie. a slice of the world 1 block thick) it would definitely possible to go layer by layer and parse out the x,y,z locations of all ore veins. Once one has the 3D coordinates of all the veins, they could import said coordinates into a GIS application (such as Esri's ArcMap) and use the spatial tools to pinpoint on the map the precise best spot to start digging (ie, most concentrated pockets where all types of ore are relatively close to each other).

We actually use GIS to accomplish similar tasks where I work (except we use it for stuff like watermain breaks, crime maps, vulnerable persons locations etc).

Myrdos
Member #1,772
December 2001

Billybob: Damn it, now I want to buy this game.

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

Hmm actually, GRASS GIS could probably accomplish that for free... (ArcMap is very expensive $$$).

Billybob
Member #3,136
January 2003

it would definitely possible to go layer by layer and parse out the x,y,z locations of all ore veins

Cartographer is open source, to the best of my knowledge, so you could take part of its code to rip the coords directly, instead of parsing generated images. :)

I'd enjoy some kind of hack/app that would give a "hot/cold" kind of indication when moving around Minecraft looking for ore. A map or compass seems too much like cheating, but having a detector would allow me to still adventure and explore with less of the mindless digging.

I wonder if you can hot-load code into a Java program ...

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Haha, I love those. I get stacks of ores. Iron, gold, Redstone, and even some diamond.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Just dig up. Or die and respawn outside, but that would cost you everything you're carrying.

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

bamccaig said:

Plus, I'm now completely lost...

I hate it when that happens. Now that signs are can be placed on walls, I hope to remedy the problem by walling off cave branches with a dirt door (since the fancy wooden doors don't stack) and placing a signs detailing how explored the branch is and which direction the exit is in...

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Using signs for that would be a good idea, but usually what catches me is that it's dark deeper into the cave so I'm afraid of getting ambushed so instead I rush in and pepper the walls with torches... Then I find more dark ahead and just keep going... Before I know it, I've gone in tons of circles, deeper and deeper, in all directions, and I have no idea how to get out... Following the torches only kind of helps because there are some big rooms and paths that circle back on themselves. :-/ Tunnelling up is a possibility, but there's always the possibility too that I dig up into water and drown (not to mention, flood my very ore rich cave). :P

With the infinite levels, does that count for up and down as well (into the sky and into the ground?

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

It doesn't count up and down.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Infinite does not count up and down, though, Notch may expand the depths at a later date.

bamccaig said:

but there's always the possibility too that I dig up into water and drown (not to mention, flood my very ore rich cave).

Build a natural air lock. Dig up, and every so often while still digging forward, dig down and then sharply back up. If water breaks in, it will stop at the dam.

Given Clonk Planet as an example, and the green being acid, note the left red circle on this picture.
AdvTutMatError.png

Dig up, down for a moment, then continue up. In Minecraft, you'd only have to dig down two steps or so, go forward a few then up again.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Billybob
Member #3,136
January 2003

Quote:

You can do that?! Awesome!

Correct. Water won't flow upward. There are no pressure physics. Personally, though, I just risk it and dig straight up ;)

CursedTyrant
Member #7,080
April 2006

Apparently he just added a new splash screen and snow.

---------
Signature.
----
[My Website] | [My YouTube Channel]

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I've actually found some dry caves under water. On the map I'm currently playing, I saw something dark under water. Investigation revealed a cave. I was curious if I'd have time to see if there were any precious metals inside before my oxygen supply was expended. Instead, I discovered that the water didn't flow into it at all. I fell into the cave and could see the water flowing at the entrance, but never coming inside. It was actually kind of cool. It would be a cool place to make a "base", actually, albeit unstable and you'd have to be careful not to touch the outer wall. :P

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

How are you coming on finding your way out?

Once you get out, go back in and place signs all over to guide you next time you go mining down there.

EDIT:

Snow maps! A random chance when generating a new map to get a snowy wonderland! It's awesome.

Go to: