Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » More Minecraft!

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
More Minecraft!
Billybob
Member #3,136
January 2003

Apparently some people have made Mob traps that automatically trap and kill mobs, and then put their loot in a convenient location for collection. Reference

I think I might build one and use it to collect a bunch of the gun powder stuff for making TNT. That way I can blast away mountains quickly 8-)

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

I think I'll incorporate one of those mob traps into my base.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Minecraft (read: Java) crashed hard. :( Who knows what progress I lost.

** EDIT **

Not bad actually. It seems my inventory was saved, but the state of the cave I was opening up was not. So I got the coal and stone, but it's all back again so I can mine it again! \o/ A gift from the gods!

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Ha! Lucky.

I found a butt-load of iron earlier. Dozens of ores in a cave right next to my spawn point.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

It would certainly be a lot more fun to play this multiplayer. The nights when you're out of a particular resource (i.e., torches) and have to wait for morning are long and lonely... :(

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Yeah, but then you'll get griefers in survival mode.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

My anti-griefing measure? Lava buckets. Pour them down on their heads! MUAHAHA!

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

The minecraft forums have soooo many posts about people's various anti-griefing methods.

As much fun as survival multiplayer sounds, I can't see myself joining a random server and playing with complete strangers. The risk of being griefed/robbed is just too high and I could see myself getting very frustrated very quickly.

I'd definitely join a private allegro server though. Or one where I knew other people didn't have any problems.

Of course, who knows if Notch has already made plans to eliminate griefing/stealing.

=================================================
Paul whoknows: Why is this thread still open?
Onewing: Because it is a pthread: a thread for me to pee on.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Yeah, I was thinking more of playing with friends or acquaintances on a private server, not random people on some public server. Though if the maps are sufficiently large then I would imagine that it should be possible to dig yourselves under ground and try to stay hidden from the griefers. I've never played multiplayer before, but I assume you can still make weapons and battle them. What should happen when you die on a multiplayer server is you are completely disconnected and have to start out all over again on another server. :)

Jonatan Hedborg
Member #4,886
July 2004

It would be nice with a "fortification" tool. You use it on a block to make it a lot harder to harvest/destroy.

It would also be cool to have "selected" torches create light (I realize this is probably a performance issue). Traveling at night is a PITA.

I can imagine playing MP with friends on a private server, but never with random strangers.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

It would be nice with a "fortification" tool. You use it on a block to make it a lot harder to harvest/destroy.

Obsidian walls. Even with a diamond picaxe, that stuff takes forever to dig through.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

According to the Wiki, it's only 15 seconds with a diamond pickaxe... :-/ And with TNT, you can blow through a single layer. Besides, that would probably mean you had to spend that time to mine it first. So the griefers would be doing just as much harm taking their time to break it down. Plus, it's apparently not available in generated maps yet so you might as well just call it magic. :P

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

With the lava and water springs there's a way you can make a mold and pour obsidian (water on top of lava turns the lava into obsidian). This would let you make a nice, thick wall fairly easily.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Billybob
Member #3,136
January 2003

I got tired of mindlessly digging under my base hoping for the occasional iron deposit. No iron means no railroads, which is no fun. With the hopes of finding a cave system full of iron, I loaded up with pic-axes, shovels, food, weapons, torches, and wood. I left my valuables at home, packed my bags, and set out at dawn for a long expedition into unknown lands. I would be travelling far and wide in search of iron, surviving alone in the wilderness with nothing but darkness and hissing explodie guys to comfort me. 8-)

After a long day of treking I had seen many mountains, plains, forests, and a few promising but ultimately disappointing caves. Only two or three blocks of iron to show for a full day of exploring. :( Night was falling quickly and soon all I would have is the light of my torches to help me navigate. Still, I was determined to either come home with trucks of iron, or die in a blaze of molten glory.

About half way through the night I was being chased by a pack of skeletons wielding bows and quite sharp arrows. I saw a dark hole in the ground, and with no other good options, I decided to quickly jump in and hope for the best. Down in the dark I settled down for a bit, and listened for their footsteps. It seemed like I was safe, so I began to explore my newly discovered surroundings. Off in the corner I saw a dim light. Like a moth drawn to fire, I bounced down the rocky ledges to see what was brewing down below. Through a small passage at the base of the cave I found a huge room full of flowing lava. It lit up the whole cavern with a bright red glow, warning visibly of its deadly power.

Reveal spoiler to read the rest ... (so my post isn't huge)

I was getting quite excited. Near the lava I heard the sound of running water, so with torches in hand and a keen ear I wandered about until I discovered, with great awe, a huge waterfall that dropped down further that I could see. Even with torches placed about I could not see the end of it. Feeling daring, I jumped down into the waterfall and let it carry me to the depths of the world.

Far below where I had started I found a huge system of waterfalls, all collapsing onto the rocks and forming whirlpools here and there. Carefully I navigated my way down to the very bottom where they all crashed into a small underground lake. I was bound to find iron down here! After expending many bags of torches, and mining like a madman, I had amassed quiet the nice little supply of iron. I had travelled very far through the caves, caverns, and tunnels. If I died down here, it would be almost impossible to make my way back and retrieve this treasure.

Suddenly an army of skeletons, explodie guys, and zombies came out of the darkness and began a vicious attack! OH NOES! With sharp blade, and fast feet I battled them until they were no more. I was lucky to have survived, but now I had no more meat, and my wounds were great. It was a great adventure, I had seen many wondrous sights, and now it was time to head home. I stored my treasures in a chest, and used a workbench to build as many ladder pieces as I could. With a strong pic-axe in my hand I dug up and up and up until my hands bled. The fear of digging into a lava lake was always in my mind. I had to keep digging though. Down below me was a drop that would surely kill. Gripping the ladder tightly I finished my work and came out, with great relief, into the night air.

Now ... how to get home? I looked about, and with great surprise and joy I saw in the distance a dimly burning torch. All along the way during this expedition, I put down torches, so I could find way my home. Luck was with me, because the place I had dug up from was close enough to one of these torches. I scrambled back down, grabbed my treasures, and followed the lighted path home. It took another day to make it back, but what a relief it was. I had quite a bit of iron now, but I knew there was still more in that vast jungle of rock and lava I had found. The next part of my Minecraft Journey shall be the construction of a massive railroad system to carry me to and from those underground caves I had found.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

bamccaig said:

/me has never seen a lava spring.

I've found quite a few. You can also make them yourself using buckets.

EDIT:

Youtube uploads are slow. I made a video about making obsidian, it's about a minute long, and it's estimated to take nearly an hour to upload.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Billybob, that is just an awesome story. :D I tend to avoid confrontation because I can't seem to kill without getting hit (and I never have healing items).

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

bamccaig said:

I tend to avoid confrontation because I can't seem to kill without getting hit (and I never have healing items).

Same here. Although I finally have enough iron to make decent weapons and armor. And then I used half of it making buckets. :-/

decepto
Member #7,102
April 2006

Billybob, I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Seriously though, you're a great writer.

--------------------------------------------------
Boom!

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Making obsidian in a mold:

Minecraft: How to Make Obsidian

decepto said:

Seriously though, you're a great writer.

Oh yeah, that was some awesome writing!

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I just can't wait for multiplayer. I love the features, but they don't make me want to play the game... all I want for Christmas... is some Multiplayer. I will be missing for darn near 3 weeks when that happens.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Further experimentation has shown that an 8x2 area can be turned to obsidian with a single spring of water.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I want to smelt Iron Bars, but I need fire for that. In order to make Fire I need a Flint and Steel, and in order to make a Flint and Steel I need an Iron Bar... Surely you see where I'm going with this. What am I missing? Or do I have to go find some lava for this?

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

bamccaig said:

I want to smelt Iron Bars, but I need fire for that. In order to make Fire I need a Flint and Steel, and in order to make a Flint and Steel I need an Iron Bar... Surely you see where I'm going with this. What am I missing? Or do I have to go find some lava for this?

Make a furnace (on a crafting table put stone blocks everywhere except the center). It can be fueled with coal or wood, and maybe a couple of other materials, and will smelt stuff for you.

Go to: