Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » E3 2010

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3   4 
E3 2010
CursedTyrant
Member #7,080
April 2006

bamccaig said:

Many more people think that FarmVille is great. ::) That makes people stupid. It doesn't make the game good.

Wait... what? ??? So the fact that some people find FarmVille (which I personally dislike) fun and addictive to play, makes them stupid? Just who the hell decides if a game is good, you? If they find a particular game fun, it doesn't mean they're stupid, it just means they find that particular game fun, and it's all the better for them, because they have something they like.

Seriously, what the hell?

---------
Signature.
----
[My Website] | [My YouTube Channel]

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Wait... what? ??? So the fact that some people find FarmVille (which I personally dislike) fun and addictive to play, makes them stupid? Just who the hell decides if a game is good, you? If they find a particular game fun, it doesn't mean they're stupid, it just means they find that particular game fun, and it's all the better for them, because they have something they like.

Seriously, what the hell?

In a video posted November 9, 2009, Zynga CEO Mark Pincus says "I did every horrible thing in the book too, just to get revenues right away. I mean we gave our users poker chips if they downloaded this Zwinky toolbar which was like, I don't know, I downloaded it once and couldn't get rid of it," in regard to business practices.[1]

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Quote:

The PS3 basically works by using a camera to track bright balls with known sizes and using that to judge angle and distance from the camera, which is enough to determine 3D coordinates. On top of that, I think it has internal sensors to detect movement to further enhance the accuracy. Nothing there is surprising though. Being able to identify a human in a picture and track its limbs is new, however.

You talk about the Wii being a gimmick yet it's almost identical stuff. Only the camera is mounted on the TV instead of on the controller. I'm not seeing where it is majorly different or more accurate.

bamccaig said:

Many more people think that FarmVille is great. That makes people stupid. It doesn't make the game good.

That just makes them have different opinions. Obviously, FarmVille must be a great game, because many many people seem to love it. It is a great game for their target audience.

Quote:

I was watching a demo of an IGN representative playing Forza with the Kinect. He was passing people every 3 seconds. I don't know if the game is dumbed down because of the inferior control scheme, or if they had them driving Ferarris against Volkswagens to make them feel good about themselves and the product, but it was certainly not realistic. He wasn't doing a good job, but he was making up spot after spot. That's no simulation. It was an arcade game.

I know nothing about Forza 4. Forza 3 is very realistic, and I think it's better than GT. I played the demo of GT, and the physics didn't feel as real as they could be. And I was expecting to like GT more.

Quote:

I already admitted that. It would be fun to play around with. Causing big wrecks, etc. However, creating a realistic simulation that captures just the normal racing is a lot of work in itself. The extra stuff adds that much more time onto development. Whether or not its worth it, I can't say. I doubt it would make the game truly enjoyable to the non-enthusiast and the enthusiast probably won't waste too much time with it. I'd certainly like it to be there, but I can't fault the series for that considering everything they do so well.

Causing wrecks is fun too, but realistic crashes, no matter how much you're denying it, are very much a part of a realistic simulation. Car wear happens. Stuff breaks. Crashes happen. To think wrecks aren't a real part of racing would be like real life racers not building any safety features into their vehicles ("you don't need them if you do it right").

Quote:

If Microsoft really wanted to take a hit for it they would have spent the money to redesign the system from day 60 when they admitted the problem and then send replacements to all consumers.

It may have made more sense, may not have. I'm not going to pretend to know. But if the same thing happened with Sony, I doubt they'd just jump up and redesign, etc. Especially when you have other options. Being a professional software developer (at least I seem to think you are) you should know that you always go with the low cost/low risk options first.

Quote:

And the rest just stop playing when it heats up just in case?

Or the conditions just weren't right. Think about safety recalls with vehicles, etc. Just because there are lots of affected units doesn't mean a majority, let alone all, of them will actually experience the problem.

Quote:

It has limited processing power. Nobody doubts that except for you.

I'm not doubting that. I'm just going on the report I read that stated essentially what I said -- that the CPU overhead isn't a huge deal because its when the CPU would typically be idle anyhow.

CursedTyrant
Member #7,080
April 2006

@bamccaig: AFAIK you don't have to pay to play FarmVille (granted, certain elements can be gained faster, or stuff like that), and you don't have to let yourself be scammed. So yeah, that's not a good enough basis to call people who play FarmVille stupid in general. I know a ton of people who play it regularly, but only use what's freely available (and they don't install any kind of toolbars etc.).

---------
Signature.
----
[My Website] | [My YouTube Channel]

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

The PS3 camera has more power to it. The Wii is nothing but an infrared camera that looks for some bright spots. Doesn't mean it's will be more accurate. With just one globe, it does NOT get the angle. With bad lighting, the camera only see the globe. It it just knows how far from the camera it is, and that's it. You could pretend you're rubbing some jail bars, and the controller won't pick it up because everything tracking it won't see much (if any) movement. Actually, the Wii remote works better as a pointer from what I can see...

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Heh, you can't even call the wii's sensor a camera. Its a couple IR sensors, and three IR leds in the little plastic brick the wii comes with.

The sony idea may be more advanced, but it takes some serious cpu power to do proper motion detection on video.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

BAF said:

You talk about the Wii being a gimmick yet it's almost identical stuff. Only the camera is mounted on the TV instead of on the controller. I'm not seeing where it is majorly different or more accurate.

For one thing, the Wii can't detect precise movement. Maybe it can with the MotionPlus or maybe it can't. I've heard it can't, but others say it can. I know for sure that the Wii itself is lacking in processing power far worse than the 360 is. At E3, Sony joked that gamers want to box with important body parts, like arms and necks. :P

BAF said:

That just makes them have different opinions. Obviously, FarmVille must be a great game, because many many people seem to love it. It is a great game for their target audience.

The target audience is gullible people that are easily distracted by simple and repetitive actions that pretend to reward you. Add to that an advertising scam and you have yourself profit (and a crappy game). I can't believe you're defending FarmVille... Now it doesn't seem like such a stretch to defend Halo and Gears. :P When did consumers become more interested in retailers than themselves? Wii is good because it sells. FarmVille is good because it sells. Ugh.

BAF said:

Causing wrecks is fun too, but realistic crashes, no matter how much you're denying it, are very much a part of a realistic simulation. Car wear happens. Stuff breaks. Crashes happen. To think wrecks aren't a real part of racing would be like real life racers not building any safety features into their vehicles ("you don't need them if you do it right").

I agree with that entirely. On the other hand, we're not professional racers and I think it would be a pretty deterring experience to have done nothing wrong, but have a shaft break and send you into a wall, making the past 60 minutes of your life fruitless. I don't think it's feasible to reach that level of complexity while still maintaining realistic track performance. As a general rule, though, if you crash your car in Gran Turismo, you're probably going to have no chance of recovering or at least you'll struggle (unless you're taking a super car to a beginner level race). Again, I would very much appreciate the realism of damage and car wrecks, etc. I can get a little bit of a taste from GTA IV though. From Gran Turismo, the racing physics are more important than how spectacular the wrecks are.

BAF said:

Being a professional software developer (at least I seem to think you are) you should know that you always go with the low cost/low risk options first.

I'm a software developer, not a software salesman. I'm interested in getting it right. The money part of the deal is someone else' problem. In general, business tries to do it the cheap and "easy" way, but that usually ends up costing the user more time and money.

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

bamccaig said:

I can't believe you're defending FarmVille... Now it doesn't seem like such a stretch to defend Halo and Gears. :P

I don't like FarmVille. I'm only defending it against your ridiculous ultimatum that the game is the definition of suck. I'm pointing out that a) it is clearly subjective, and b) it is obviously a successful game.

Quote:

I think it would be a pretty deterring experience to have done nothing wrong, but have a shaft break and send you into a wall, making the past 60 minutes of your life fruitless.

It has to be done well in the game. Forza allows you to rewind the race at any point, so not only does it help you identify and block such an attack, but it also lets you keep retrying difficult corners, etc. so you can master them more easily.

Forza 3 is the first racing game I've ever played where, on simulation realism, you have to watch your tire wear and fuel consumption. For the short races, it doesn't come into play, but on endurance races, you have to keep up on tires and fill the fuel tank when you're getting low.

Quote:

I'm a software developer, not a software salesman. I'm interested in getting it right. The money part of the deal is someone else' problem. In general, business tries to do it the cheap and "easy" way, but that usually ends up costing the user more time and money.

Yes, I'm interested in getting stuff done right at work too. But when you have pressure from overhead to fix something in production, you can't just delete it and start over (which is what you're suggesting they should have done with the 360). You have to take the option that makes most sense, looking at cost and risk. And immediately admitting a problem (before you even know what is going on - bad production run, flawed building techniques, etc) and starting from scratch is nowhere near as feasible as you make it out to be.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

BAF said:

...it is obviously a successful game.

See my edit. When did consumers become more interested in retailers than themselves? It doesn't matter how much money the developer made. That doesn't define a good game... ::) It defines a successful or profitable game.

BAF said:

It has to be done well in the game. Forza allows you to rewind the race at any point, so not only does it help you identify and block such an attack, but it also lets you keep retrying difficult corners, etc. so you can master them more easily.

Who said anything about attack? In Gran Turismo, you can't "attack" as that's against the rules. If you attempt to hit other cars you're penalized. The ability to rewind and try again would be quite useful during practice runs, but I don't think it should be available during actual races.

BAF said:

Forza 3 is the first racing game I've ever played where, on simulation realism, you have to watch your tire wear and fuel consumption. For the short races, it doesn't come into play, but on endurance races, you have to keep up on tires and fill the fuel tank when you're getting low.

The original Gran Turismo on PlayStation had tire wear. I don't know for sure when it was introduced, but Gran Turismo 4 (2004-2005) definitely supported fuel as well.

BAF said:

Yes, I'm interested in getting stuff done right at work too. But when you have pressure from overhead to fix something in production, you can't just delete it and start over (which is what you're suggesting they should have done with the 360). You have to take the option that makes most sense, looking at cost and risk. And immediately admitting a problem (before you even know what is going on - bad production run, flawed building techniques, etc) and starting from scratch is nowhere near as feasible as you make it out to be.

Well if somebody was actually at fault for it then they never should have cut the corners they did. I don't see why the consumer should have to pay for their mistakes. If they didn't make mistakes then they shouldn't be concerned about addressing the problem. That wouldn't make for a very good company for anyone, employee nor consumer.

You should be able to tell management that you're not sure what's wrong and that you're going to do some testing to figure out if there is a flaw in the design. If Microsoft isn't willing to do that then I'm obviously completely right about them as a company. The alternative is that they did know what was wrong with the design and didn't want to admit it. Either way, bad for consumer (i.e., us you).

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

bamccaig said:

When did consumers become more interested in retailers than themselves? It doesn't matter how much money the developer made. That doesn't define a good game...

I don't see where you guys started talking about "good" games. This entire E3 is chasing the casual market, because that's where the money is. Nintendo is remaking all the games they always remake because it's worked for 20 years but now with more flailing, XBox 360 is trying to wow casuals over with shiny new technology, Sony is playing catchup (they're in 3rd place, right?) by ripping off the far-more-successful Wii and praying no one notices. Nothing that was shown was "good". Everything that was shown was profitable. The company I work for had staff at GDC, E3, etc. and everytime someone even mentions FarmVille, everyone's skin turns green, their voices drip with envy, and dollar signs pop out of their eyes. People want on that gravy wagon, my friends. :) Good? Screw good, just feed my pigs.

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

bamccaig said:

It doesn't matter how much money the developer made. That doesn't define a good game... It defines a successful or profitable game.

It is a good game. LOTS of people play it. If nobody thought it was a good game, nobody would play it. It may not seem like a good game to you, but I can guarantee that Gears of War, Gran Turismo, God of War, or even GTA fall into the 'good game' category in my grandmother's eyes (and she even happens to play FarmVille).

Quote:

Well if somebody was actually at fault for it then they never should have cut the corners they did. I don't see why the consumer should have to pay for their mistakes. If they didn't make mistakes then they shouldn't be concerned about addressing the problem. That wouldn't make for a very good company for anyone, employee nor consumer.

You should be able to tell management that you're not sure what's wrong and that you're going to do some testing to figure out if there is a flaw in the design. If Microsoft isn't willing to do that then I'm obviously completely right about them as a company. The alternative is that they did know what was wrong with the design and didn't want to admit it. Either way, bad for consumer (i.e., us you).

So owning up to the mistake isn't good enough now? A problem happened. Doesn't matter why or how, but it did. So of course they should address the problem and stand by their product. I'm not sure what you're arguing against.

It's not bad for me as the consumer BECAUSE I WASN'T LEFT WITH THE PRODUCT AND TOLD TO GO POUND SALT. I was left with something that may break, that had its original warranty TRIPLED just to reassure me that it would be fixed if it died. Sure I am inconvenienced, but you always take the risk of having problems whenever you buy anything. I've tried, and failed, to apply your thoughts of redesign to several other industries. Major recall on a vehicle? Scrap it, redesign it, and replace everyone's for free! Big security hole in a piece of software? Delete it and rewrite from scratch!

And how do you know what did or didn't happen with management regarding a flaw in the design? The bottom line is, they shipped consoles with a problem, and they now have to do damage control. Immediately scrapping the current design and starting over, without fully understanding the problems or attempting to address it with a lower cost, lower risk solution doesn't make sense. It appeals to the perfectionist in you, but it does not make good business sense.

If this is what happens at your work, then I wonder if you guys ever complete anything. There are always flaws in products. That doesn't mean you can constantly start over and never ship anything. That's called analysis paralysis, and when a business follows that model, things like Duke Nukem: Forever happen.

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

BAF said:

but I can guarantee that Gears of War, Gran Turismo, God of War, or even GTA fall into the 'good game' category in my grandmother's eyes (and she even happens to play FarmVille).

I wouldn't want to play any of those games. But if I had to, I probably would play FarmVille.

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Exactly. It doesn't mean any of them aren't good games. They all have a large group of players who enjoy playing it, so that's good enough for me to call it good.

Oscar Giner
Member #2,207
April 2002

BAF said:

Forza 3 is the first racing game I've ever played where, on simulation realism, you have to watch your tire wear and fuel consumption.

Any F1 simulator for PC has that :o (and other games of course, but I usually like more F1, indycar or similar types of races). And I'm particularly remembering a game that's already 12 years old, which also has dynamic weather, to name something, that neither Forza or GT (up to GT 5 that seems to have it) have. I think both games are extremely overrated, maybe because it's a genre not usually seen on consoles (racing games for consoles are usually arcade, or a mixture of arcade with simulation elements at best).

And about good/bad games, it's something really subjective. Thinking otherwise is stupid. I dislike GTA4, GT and GoW, go figure :-X. Farmville is so much better than them.

[edit]
Several edits, here and there :P

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

And about good/bad games, it's something really subjective. Thinking otherwise is stupid.

ET for the Atari 800/2600 was crap, objectively. ;)

I liked it though when I was 9.

Oscar Giner
Member #2,207
April 2002

I guess there are some extreme exceptions ;D Like Command & Conquer 4 :-X

ReyBrujo
January 2001

Personally, the Wii controller is simple, cheap and works. Most of the games don't use 1:1 because there are obstacles you cannot overcome. For example, if you are Kratos and swing your sword against a rock, you will gesture the full movement up down even though Kratos' sword bounces against the rock, thus losing the 1:1 accuracy (you expect the sword to be down when it is actually on top of the rock). Unless you give him a light saber (or make his sword so sharp he can kill anyone with a single stroke, which I hope we agree would be kind of dull), there are times when even if your controller can process 1:1 movement, it will be lost.

Nobody wants to have his Kratos beheaded because suddenly you answered the phone and with the movement the controller pointed at your head for a second.

Sony improved the Wii controller concept (while Microsoft changed it, personally players still want to hold onto something when playing to get physical rewards like sounds or vibration), however I doubt we will see games that couldn't have worked in a Wii (talking purely about the input method, and not the output like graphics, sounds, etc).

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」
Mitsuko's last words, Battle Royale

Ben Delacob
Member #6,141
August 2005

Wikipedia on Dead Space said:

The player takes on the role of an engineer named Isaac Clarke, who battles a polymorphic, virus-like, alien infestation which turns humans into grotesque alien monsters called "Necromorphs", on board a stricken interstellar mining ship named the USG Ishimura.

Bam, please consider how games you find "adult" may be made of material ideally suited for teenage boys. Many actual adults would find this content shamefully childish. There's nothing wrong with it, though, and you know it. Apply the same lack of judgment for playing video games that you hold for yourself to others.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

ReyBrujo said:

Nobody wants to have his Kratos beheaded because suddenly you answered the phone and with the movement the controller pointed at your head for a second.

Speak for yourself. :D If you don't want to be beheaded then you should have paused the game. :P

Bam, please consider how games you find "adult" may be made of material ideally suited for teenage boys. Many actual adults would find this content shamefully childish. There's nothing wrong with it, though, and you know it. Apply the same lack of judgment for playing video games that you hold for yourself to others.

I think you're going to have to explain how anyone would find that "childish".

Sirocco
Member #88
April 2000

ReyBrujo said:

Sony improved the Wii controller concept

I don't call fastening a glowing ball at the end of the controller a significant improvement. I'd call that a major step backward, especially when one wants to play at night.

-->
Graphic file formats used to fascinate me, but now I find them rather satanic.

1   2   3   4 

Go to: