Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » E3 2010

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3   4 
E3 2010
bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Introducing Koniesis! \o/ No, wait,... /o\ Those idiots called it Kinect. :-/ Then again, what can you expect from a company that named a video game console "360"...

I haven't seen much yet, but my colleague tells me that all of the Kinect demos are weak casual games (which seems true based on the first demo I saw, a completely stupid use of the peripheral if you ask me).

I am told that Nintendo's only offering is the 3DS, which may or may not be cool, but I don't know.

I am excited to see what Sony has to show (on top of Portal 2 and Steam for the PS3).

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

bamccaig said:

I haven't seen much yet, but my colleague tells me that all of the Kinect demos are weak casual games.

Define "weak". I don't play them, but it's where the market is right now, like it or not. And by casual game standards, they look pretty strong to me, price aside.

Still not going to play them though. ;D

Quote:

I am excited to see what Sony has to show

Probably the Move. Casuals win again!

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Define "weak". I don't play them, but it's where the market is right now, like it or not. And by casual game standards, they look pretty strong to me, price aside.

It's E3. I highly doubt casual gamers are showing up to it (that would be somewhat of a contradiction). This was essentially the first real taste of Kinect and I'm sure the audience was full of hardcore 360 gamers. Instead of seeing something they would like, they saw a guy allegedly manipulating some flashy "cursor" to ... I don't even know what. It was such a casual game I couldn't even figure out WTF it was. You couldn't even really gauge how well the technology worked because the guy controlling it was in the dark and the screen was all just flashy, casual blah.

Probably the Move. Casuals win again!

How is Move casual? My colleague said that Sony is demonstrating more hardcore games with Move. Allegedly Dead Space (update) and Dead Space 2, for example, will support the Move (though to my knowledge they were not shown at E3). Unlike Microsoft, however, Sony is apparently supporting both controller-based play and Move, so if you prefer the SIXAXIS or Dual Shock 3 then you can still use them (allegedly, BD makes this possible). My colleague said that Microsoft is picking and choosing.

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

bamccaig said:

It's E3. I highly doubt casual gamers are showing up to it (that would be somewhat of a contradiction).

What does that have to do with anything? It's a press conference. This is what Microsoft is working on. This is there next big push. What else would they show? A bunch of stuff they're NOT working on? To not hype their "next big thing" would be suicidal ...

Quote:

How is Move casual?

Honestly, I don't know that much about Move. It just screams "Wii wannabe" to me from the few videos I've seen. I'm open to being corrected on that.

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Honestly, I don't know that much about Move. It just screams "Wii wannabe" to me from the videos I've seen. I'm open to being corrected on that.

Firstly, the Move doesn't need to want to be Wii. It's better. Way better. Nintendo never really delivered on the motion controller front. The Wiimote kind of works, but it doesn't work at all well. Even with the Wii MotionPlus extension, I've heard that it's not good enough to make you feel like you're in control.

Secondly, PlayStation is a hardcore platform (with support for casual gamers). Here's a demo featuring a "street fighting" game and SOCOM 4.

video

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

I see the whole point of the 'casual' entry point is to attract non-gamers, which the wii has shown to be a big earner. You can see this by the move from the 'no-frills' interface of the original 360 to the 3D and Avatar based system and now onto the 360 slim with wireless.

Once you have a captive market with the novelty games you then move onto the 'proper' games.

Microsoft have always been embrace and extend, never to innovate.

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

wii:0356-1384-6687-2022, kart:3308-4806-6002. XBOX:chucklepie

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Okay, granted I watched that with the sound off, but all I saw was Wii Boxing with better graphics, and some guy who plays SOCOM on the PS3 remarkably like I play Metroid on the Wii. I'll grant that the fighting might have better motion response than its Wii counterpart, but I live with a black belt and most of my friends train in martial arts, so all these games are casual to me. :)

EDIT: Had to be done.

{"name":"903426984_Tg2it-L.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/a\/e\/aea7e076145bcab86b99885378156ffd.jpg","w":800,"h":401,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/a\/e\/aea7e076145bcab86b99885378156ffd"}903426984_Tg2it-L.jpg

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Sirocco
Member #88
April 2000

bamccaig said:

Firstly, the Move doesn't need to want to be Wii. It's better. Way better. Nintendo never really delivered on the motion controller front. The Wiimote kind of works, but it doesn't work at all well. Even with the Wii MotionPlus extension, I've heard that it's not good enough to make you feel like you're in control.

Secondly, PlayStation is a hardcore platform (with support for casual gamers). Here's a demo featuring a "street fighting" game and SOCOM 4.

This entire post brought to you by Kool-Aid™.

-->
Graphic file formats used to fascinate me, but now I find them rather satanic.

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

I'm kind of excited. For the first time in my life I have been fortunate enough to own all the latest generation consoles. I'm stoked for the new game lineup coming from Nintendo, I can't wait for Move and Portal 2 (although I may get Portal 2 on PC) and the whole Kinect thing will probably turn out to be pretty neat too.

=================================================
Paul whoknows: Why is this thread still open?
Onewing: Because it is a pthread: a thread for me to pee on.

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

Pricing wise for motion control, Kinect Wins ($150 for four players), Wii is second (Wii mote+plus $50 + Nunchuck $20 per player, so $70. Buying a new system only requires 3 more controllers sets) and the expected price for a complete Move thing for one player is $150... Not sure how much of that is the Eye, but if you just buy a PS3 now...

You know, the PS3 is for folk with money to burn. 360 only gets close because of the paid online service (which I think I hear PS3 is offering too, but what you have now is still free, you can just get more demos (or get them sooner) and discount on the store)

My choice of gaming makes both 360 and PS3 not worth the money to me. The games I want are normally either on the PC and/or Wii anyway.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Portal 2 looks sick. So does Metroid: Other M. I might have to buy a Wii just to play Metroid.

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

ngiacomelli
Member #5,114
October 2004

Portal 2 looks wonderful. A little disappointed we didn't see more from Valve (I was holding out for a Half-Life 2: Episode 3 announcement), though.

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

At least we now have game play footage of Portal 2. Might need a new video card...

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

mEmO
Member #1,124
March 2001

Can someone explain to me why they feel the need to market this new display technology as "3d"? It's just confusing. It bothers me to the point where I've made it my agenda to intentionally confuse any mention of it with references to conventional 3d graphics in general, and make mocking and sarcastic comments about how they've finally gotten past Wolfenstein 3d.

---------------------------------------------
There is only one God, and Connor is his son!
http://www.memocomputers.com
Happy birthday!

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

Seems portal 2 is now a mainstream game and not a series of puzzles. I think I prefer the latter.

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

wii:0356-1384-6687-2022, kart:3308-4806-6002. XBOX:chucklepie

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

I was actually expectant of any news regarding Sonic 4. ^_^ Sega at least decided to actually delay this game for improving it!

EDIT: Anyone saw anything about MK9 other than the trailer?

TranslatorHack 2010, a human translation chain in a.cc.
My games: [GiftCraft] - [Blocky Rhythm[SH2011]] - [Elven Revolution] - [Dune Smasher!]

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Pricing wise for motion control, Kinect Wins ($150 for four players), Wii is second (Wii mote+plus $50 + Nunchuck $20 per player, so $70. Buying a new system only requires 3 more controllers sets) and the expected price for a complete Move thing for one player is $150... Not sure how much of that is the Eye, but if you just buy a PS3 now...

You know, the PS3 is for folk with money to burn. 360 only gets close because of the paid online service (which I think I hear PS3 is offering too, but what you have now is still free, you can just get more demos (or get them sooner) and discount on the store)

My choice of gaming makes both 360 and PS3 not worth the money to me. The games I want are normally either on the PC and/or Wii anyway.

According to Wikipedia, about USD$50 for the Move controller, USD$30 for the navigation controller, and IIRC I got my PlayStation Eye for a mere CAD$40 (probably two years ago, now). I'm sure the PlayStation Eye is shared by as many players as are supported so you should only need one of those. Besides, the PlayStation Move actually tracks your movements. It doesn't pretend to like the Wii. I'd be happy to pay extra for that, though I'm not convinced that you will be. Additionally, there are supposed to be kits to buy the whole package (and a game) for about USD$100.

The Wii is such a joke and always has been. The very first time I tried it I was bored of it within minutes. It doesn't track my movements and isn't fun.

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

Why are they advertising Shovelware for Kinetic? If they had shown it being used in something like Halo or GOW as an alternate control, it would've had a much better reception. It's not like "casual" audience are a synonym for crappy family games. :-/ Many "casual" people prefer playing games like GTA IV.

TranslatorHack 2010, a human translation chain in a.cc.
My games: [GiftCraft] - [Blocky Rhythm[SH2011]] - [Elven Revolution] - [Dune Smasher!]

Sirocco
Member #88
April 2000

Dario ff said:

Why are they advertising Shovelware for Kinetic?

I'd say the answer to that is lag. Even a tiny bit of lag would totally kill it as a control scheme for an FPS. That's pure speculation based on videos I've seen of Kinect units in action.

There's a good reason two of Microsoft's Entertainment Division head execs were given the boot a few weeks ago, and I'd say Kinect is a large part of that. The rest being HP's giving Win 7 mobile the boot in favor of Palm's offering, and tepid responses for Zune HD and Kin.

-->
Graphic file formats used to fascinate me, but now I find them rather satanic.

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

Prices from Best Buy at this post time.

Let's see how much the hardware for playing consoles are. The targets are dumb cheap parents (*A*) who know nothing about games, so they'll buy the system, and if they need to, a game, then maybe get their kids a game at the times they would get their kids gifts.
The other is a gamer (*B*) who is cheap, and wants to avoid spending too much money.

So we'll start with both not having anything, and just want something to get started. In both cases, they may have to stick with the game they chose for a year, even if it's crappy. In the long run, they intend to buy everything needed to enjoy 4 players in all the ways you control the system. Price of games will not be included in the factor at all, as both targets would just buy from the $20 bin when they get a new game.

360: (with two games)

• Arcade $150

• Elite $250 if they want the hard drive and not have to worry about buying it later.[1]

PS3: $300 + Game (Dumb cheap parents will not consider this option... Ever)
Wii: $200 (with 1.5 games)

A sees 360 Arcade as the best deal. B May know enough about the 360 to know the arcade is missing the HD, and the Elite is the perferred way to buy the 360. Money wise, he'll go with the Wii. The PS3 is out for the fact the cheapest system is the highest of the three, and doesn't come with a game.

Okay, so let's say, both targets wants to include all the stuff for four players locally. Let's see the extra prices (and the total they have to spend off the bat)

(Note: No 3rd party. We'll assume both have knowledge the 3rd controllers may not be as good as the 1st party ones)
360: +$40*3 = $120, +$50*3 = $150 wireless

• Arcade Total $270/$300

• Elite Total $370/$400

PS3: +$55*3 = $165, $465 total
Wii: WiiMote w/Plus +$50*3 = $150, Nuncuk +$20*3 = $60, $410 total

360 is a bit complex all of a sudden. 360 has both the wired and wireless option for more price points (4!).

360 is still winning. With the wireless (that only B will consider actually, because of where he might setup the system at may cause too many issues with wires) 360 Elite ALMOST match the Wii's price. A now has a reason to consider the 360 all of a sudden.

Now, for having all the ways to control the system now (Two sets of points, without the online 'only' stuff, and all, both 1 and 4 player pricing, online 'only' being 1 person only, also ignoring games require special controllers, like Rock Band for example)
360:

• Media Remote: $20

• Play and Charge: $20 (*4 = $80)

• Messenger Kit (online): $30 (Note: can't seem to get keypad alone...)

PS3:

• Remote: $25

• Eye: $40

• Bluetooth headset (online): $40

• Keypad (online): $40

Wii:

• Classic Controller: $20 (*4 = 80)

• Wii Speak (online): $30

360: (1p/online|4p/online)

• Arcade wired: $(310/340|370/400)

• Arcade wireless: $(340/370|400/430)

• Elite wired: $(410/440|470/500)

• Elite wireless: $(440/470|500/530)

PS3: $(530/610)
Wii: $(430/460|490/520)

... 360! DAMN YOU! >:( (Damn you A.CC for scrolling this text window to the top of the post window when I inserted the smiley)
PS3 is really getting too high. NOTE: It doesn't add anything that requires the 4 player vs 1 player price point. But, it's lowest is 360's highest! Damn.
For B is suddenly the Wii is winning... Err... But like the last stage, it's close... For A, 360 still wins...

Let's clean this mess up. We'll take the highest price point, and add the stuff that's coming soon, using pricing we know about (bam as my source for PS3 stuff):

360: +$150 for Kinect (wired/wireless controllers)

• Arcade: ($550/$580)

• Elite: ($650/$680)

PS3: $50 for main controller, $30 for nav controller (1p/4p)
Eye now: ($690/$930)
Eye with Move ($100 bundle): ($700/$940)

Wii has NOTHING new for this stage. It wins. With the move Bundle, to be fair, even though it costs more, it DOES come with a game you would have to pay extra for without it. Actually, considering you have to pay extra for a game UNTIL the move bundle comes out, the PS3 is not for people who are cheap.

Note, there are factors I have left out that could swing the price in favor for some of the systems. A may end up getting the 3rd party controller for the 360 to knock that price down. Oh, and let's not talk about 3D TV's with the PS3.

References

1. No pro model that isn't refurbished... Hmm

---
MiquelFire.red

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

bamccaig said:

It's E3. I highly doubt casual gamers are showing up to it (that would be somewhat of a contradiction).

A hell of a lot of game developers do show up to it though. And they want to make money off casual gamers.

bamccaig said:

The Wii is such a joke and always has been.

The PS3 is such a joke and always has been. The very first time I tried it I was bored of it within minutes. It doesn't have characters with big googly heads and isn't fun.

See, it works both ways. Fun is an opinion thing. Personally, I don't find any consoles fun, but that doesn't make them a joke.

IonBlade
Member #3,521
May 2003

;D console wars on a.cc. They're all good. Pay for what you like, no one is shoving it down your throat and forcing you to buy it.

Someone asked about the new Mortal Kombat: some footage is floating around from ScrewAttack of the fatalities in the game, I've seen it, and damn they made me cringe, they're going as realistic as possible, unlike the last few MK games. Each character has their own individually modeled internal organs and skeletons which are actually present inside the characters during the fight, ;D - and they can be broken/destroyed before the fight is even over. There are also some interviews with Ed Boon discussing the gameplay and such.

------

"I've got to choose my words carefully so that I'm not misunderstood, but I think there are fewer developers around today who think about making a good game. As a creator, I find that sad..." - Hideo Kojima

axilmar
Member #1,204
April 2001

Is anybody else not thrilled by motion sensing systems? I'd prefer not to have a workout when I want to relax, playing a video game.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

axilmar said:

Is anybody else not thrilled by motion sensing systems?

Yea, seriously. It looks to me like a cheap gimmick, not an actual revolution in gameplay (like they make it out to be). It's just going to make you look goofy and feel silly.

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

axilmar said:

Is anybody else not thrilled by motion sensing systems? I'd prefer not to have a workout when I want to relax, playing a video game.

Some time ago I've said that if I was going to buy a console it'd be Wii. It certainly is intriguing way to control a game. But since then I was able to see people playing it and was offered a chance to play DDR. I must say that these control schemes, while intriguing are totally gimmicky. I'd rather take out my bike then making a jerk of myself in front of the TV.

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

1   2   3   4 

Go to: