Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » The Depot » Volleyballegro

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Volleyballegro
Slartibartfast
Member #8,789
June 2007

Hi, this is my latest Allegro project, a volleyball game based on the ancient Arcade Volleyball and inspired by Slime Volleyball.
I am of course bragging that I actually managed to finish something, and seeking feedback (mostly improvement suggestions, but bug reports are welcome as well)

Since the code is horribly horrible right now (I quickly hacked it over the weekend, I don't actually have any free time in my life :X), I'm only attaching an executable. The attached .zip includes a.out for Linux and a.exe for Windows and the resources needed to run the game (including the .dll files needed in Windows, and a liba.zip file for the Linux libraries in case they are needed :X)

Download

Keys:
1 - hold to increase motion blur effect
2 - hold to decrease motion blur effect
3 - randomly coloured background
4 - image background
9 - toggle left player AI
0 - toggle right player AI
w - left player jump
a - left player left
d - left player right
left - right player left
right - right player right
up - right player jump
ESC - close the game

caveats: I'm not sure why, but occasionally the game fails to load ball2.tga so the ball is invisible. Most random issues can be resolved by restarting the game.
There's no sound because I could only get Allegro 4.9.18 to work with OSS and only crappily, so for now there's no sound on either platform. (if someone has managed to get sound to work correctly on Ubuntu please send a code example my way).

Obligatory screenshots:

{"name":"601292","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/b\/fb05bf8d4be4938ba8129d0138757cd2.jpg","w":1280,"h":800,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/b\/fb05bf8d4be4938ba8129d0138757cd2"}601292

{"name":"601293","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/a\/9a689a37c7fdb17ef670f9a3e90301ee.png","w":1280,"h":800,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/a\/9a689a37c7fdb17ef670f9a3e90301ee"}601293

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

I must say, I enjoyed it a lot. The fast and responsive controls, I thought it would be hard to hit the ball but its really very easy to control everything. The AI is a bit hard to beat but it gets easier once you get the hang of it.

A really good game. Simple and very fun. Can't wait to have someone over to try it with.

In capitalist America bank robs you.

wiseguy
Member #44
April 2000

I couldn't get this to download properly for some reason...

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

I only have two complaints: One, the AI could be smoothed out so it's not so jittery (and possibly have some difficulty setting), and two, I don't have any friends to play with :(.

Striker
Member #10,701
February 2009

Really good game. Right thing for a short break.

Improvements i could imagine: some nice girls as player sprites, different backgrounds and sounds.

Slartibartfast
Member #8,789
June 2007

Here's a new a.exe and a.out (called b.exe and b.out) for the latest version.
Sound is still out because after a finite number of sounds it will crash. I won't have time to work this out until the weekend since it requires more time than just the fiddling I can do over the week.

But this latest version introduces three new elements:
1) Names for the blobs, everyone kept getting confused because of the "Player 1:3" thing.
2) Press the LSHIFT and RSHIFT keys to slow down the blobs (obviously LSHIFT slows down the left blob and RSHIFT the right blob).
Since the AI can now make use of the slowdown keys it will no longer jitter (other than the robotic motion it naturally does)
3) Pressing M triggers slow-Mo Mode, which will: I) slow down the game [you can adjust slowness with U and J] II) slow down time when the ball approaches a player (but not an AI). If you want an easier difficulty just halve the progress of time and it will be much easier to keep your goal clean.

ImLeftFooted
Member #3,935
October 2003

Ahhh, I remember playing this game in highschool when the teacher wasn't looking.

It was epic -- everyone played it.

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

Yeah, it was called "Arcade Volleyball", a classic.

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

This game definitely needs Power-ups! Make them spawn randomly in some part of the map, and a skilled player that aims the ball towards it will get rewarded with something fun.

TranslatorHack 2010, a human translation chain in a.cc.
My games: [GiftCraft] - [Blocky Rhythm[SH2011]] - [Elven Revolution] - [Dune Smasher!]

kazzmir
Member #1,786
December 2001

Ah I finally figured out how to score points on the AI. Bounce the bow fairly low and softly over the barrier, jump into the air right as the AI jumps into the ball (so you spike the ball), the ball will hit you and go under the AI thus scoring a point.

Other than that there doesn't seem like a way to get a point.

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

I can't play well with my friend because the WASD set blocks with the Arrows set with only pressing a few keys, which turns into something really unfair with my keyboard. Any chance to remap the keys or play with a joystick?

I wouldn't mind doing that myself if you release the source. Please? :)

TranslatorHack 2010, a human translation chain in a.cc.
My games: [GiftCraft] - [Blocky Rhythm[SH2011]] - [Elven Revolution] - [Dune Smasher!]

Slartibartfast
Member #8,789
June 2007

Dario ff said:

I can't play well with my friend because the WASD set blocks with the Arrows set with only pressing a few keys, which turns into something really unfair with my keyboard. Any chance to remap the keys or play with a joystick?

I wouldn't mind doing that myself if you release the source. Please? :)

I intend to tidy the code up over the weekend* and once it is not overly ugly I will release it.

Remapping keys is designed to be easy, except that creating an interface for remapping keys takes some time :S

*-weekend = Friday+Saturday

Go to: