Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Bad translator

Credits go to Arthur Kalliokoski, bamccaig, Bob Keane, ImLeftFooted, ixilom, MiquelFire, Neil Black, NewGuy, Ron Novy, someone972, and weapon_S for helping out!
This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
Bad translator
m c
Member #5,337
December 2004

Megabytes are where I keep my Data.
Bytes of time, where I am

(\ /)_____#_____####__#
(O.o)¯¯¯#¯¯¯¯¯#¯¯¯#¯¯#
(> <)__####__####__####

becomes:

(\ /)_____#_____####__#
   ()¯¯¯#¯¯¯¯¯#¯¯¯#¯¯# Light
(> <)__####__####__## #

I'm the juggernaut, bitch!
I am a dog attack!

Scorpions are predatory arthropod animals of the order Scorpiones within the class Arachnida
Scorpio man, arthropod and hunger

Wild killer whales are not considered a threat to humans, although there have been cases of captive killer whales killing or injuring their handlers at marine theme parks
This is a killer of wild animals in danger of humanity, but the orca in captivity as a marine park, is killed or injured

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

Jakub Wasilewski
Member #3,653
June 2003

What would really be interesting to see is performing the exact same thing (translating a sentence back and forth X times) with real, human translators to see whether they fare significantly better than computers at this or not.

---------------------------
[ ChristmasHack! | My games ] :::: One CSS to style them all, One Javascript to script them, / One HTML to bring them all and in the browser bind them / In the Land of Fantasy where Standards mean something.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

What would really be interesting to see is performing the exact same thing (translating a sentence back and forth X times) with real, human translators to see whether they fare significantly better than computers at this or not.

I fully support this study, so long as I don't have to contribute to it in any way beyond expressing my support for it.

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

Heh, we're a pretty international community. We could play a game like that, but I wouldn't know how to organize it.

I mean, we'd need 2 different people that speak the same language, so one single person doesn't make "fake" translations from English to X Language and back. They'd be biased to turning it to the original phrase. (As long as the original phrase remains a secret to all other participants, to keep the suspense)

I approve Jakub's idea. :) Would anybody like to participate?

TranslatorHack 2010, a human translation chain in a.cc.
My games: [GiftCraft] - [Blocky Rhythm[SH2011]] - [Elven Revolution] - [Dune Smasher!]

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Dario ff said:

Would anybody like to participate?

I would, but I only speak one language. :(

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Does the bad translator site use a specific sequence of languages? If so, we'd need to recreate that.

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

Dario ff said:

Would anybody like to participate?

Sure.
Apart from Dutch and English, I shouldn't have too much trouble translating a sentence from German or French.

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Actually, if the phrase is something very simple, and involves food and/or beverages, I can probably translate it from French.

weapon_S
Member #7,859
October 2006

Ooh, I'd like to participate.
Dutch, English, Japanese.[1]
I'd suggest first tallying the translators and then writing down a roster.
It would be ideal if a translator only showed up once in the roster, but I think we would get a very short chain then.

Does the bad translator site use a specific sequence of languages? If so, we'd need to recreate that.

OK, it starts out with Afrikaans :P

References

1. Don't worry I will use a dictionary, contrary to when I usually post here
LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

weapon_S said:

OK, it starts out with Afrikaans

Could you or our other Dutch posters translate from Afrikaans at least?

weapon_S
Member #7,859
October 2006

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

LennyLen said:

Could you or our other Dutch posters translate from Afrikaans at least?

Yes.

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

I fully support this study, so long as I don't have to contribute to it in any way beyond expressing my support for it.

Becomes (after 54 translations):
No common problems.

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

Dario ff
Member #10,065
August 2008

The order of the languages would be alphabetic.

Well, this is what I have in mind:
1) List up all participants, their languages of choice, etc.
2) Count and order the languages, and assign them to each person.
3) It'd all be a PM(or email) chain. I would send to each of you who you're expected to pass the phrase to, and their task.
4) Send the original phrase to the first translator, and the chain would start.
5) When the chain comes back to me, I'll post the final result.

Maybe I should start a new thread to organize things better.

I don't know how we could get to an agreement for saying which phrase to translate. Should it be a full paragraph? A single phrase?

An example. Of course everyone is assumed to know English :P.
Mr. A - Dutch
Mr. B - Dutch
Ms. C - French
Ms. D - French

• A receives the phrase. He translates it to Dutch, and he sends it to B.

• B translates the phrase back to English, and sends it to C.

• C translates to French. He sends it to D.

• D translates it back to English. He sends it to me, and I post the final result.

Any suggestions?

TranslatorHack 2010, a human translation chain in a.cc.
My games: [GiftCraft] - [Blocky Rhythm[SH2011]] - [Elven Revolution] - [Dune Smasher!]

1   2 

Go to: