Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Minecraft

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Minecraft
Jeff Bernard
Member #6,698
December 2005

At first I thought the cave was randomly generated, but then the guy started digging. So is that the gist of what you do? Do you have to dig out the entire world, or are parts of the cave already existent?

--
I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

The levels are randomly generated (Or at least "generated"...). There are some voids underground that exist for you to discover, but they're relatively small from what I've seen (albeit I haven't gone deep).

verthex
Member #11,340
September 2009

bamccaig said:

The levels are randomly generated (Or at least "generated"...). There are some voids underground that exist for you to discover, but they're relatively small from what I've seen (albeit I haven't gone deep).

I just read what you said and I yawned! ;)

why not make a game about the residents of washington dc digging themselves out of 6 feet of snow, that would be funny. Then they could use John Deere brand snowmobiles and clean up the streets. Infact google street view might be useful after all.

Or how about a game with rabbits trying to steal a farmers carrots by digging from underneath?

Jonatan Hedborg
Member #4,886
July 2004

I just found a huge underground cave filled with monsters, gems and lava :)

Of course, this game is under construction, so there's not that much to do yet. I'm hoping for some role-playing/roguelike elements (stats, advancement, a goal) :)

verthex
Member #11,340
September 2009

The game sort of reminds me of vagrant story. Most of it takes place in a cave or some dungeon with semi-random encounters and bosses. I heard it never went beyond expectations after it was released. Im just wondering how a walk through would be made for a game thats randomly generated, it would make conversation rather dull when no one could relate any battles to someone else playing the same game because half of it is different for each player.

mEmO
Member #1,124
March 2001

bamccaig said:

Am I expected to just experiment with materials to craft stuff?

Take a look at this: http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Crafting

---------------------------------------------
There is only one God, and Connor is his son!
http://www.memocomputers.com
Happy birthday!

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

@mEmO: Thank you so much! :D I tried searching Google and their forums, but I couldn't find anything useful... Following the advice of a YouTube video, I managed to craft sticks or something once, but I couldn't get it to work again... :P The Wiki article looks like it will help a LOT. ;D

Billybob
Member #3,136
January 2003

No, seriously, you guys are paying $10 for a game that isn't finished? And it's written in Java? Plants vs. Zombies was like $10. Left 4 Dead was $10 on sale. World of Warcraft is free (for the first month or two). ... Am I missing something?

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

It's more of a sale price actually. Once the game is finished, it's supposed to be $20. Once it hits beta, it will be between the current and final price from what I read. I haven't bought it myself as the computer I would like to play it on can't play it.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

GameCreator
Member #2,541
July 2002

decepto, welcome to the brother squid-hood.
Billybob, I can't try it here at work but it looks like the single-player is free.

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

The free versions (including multiplayer it seems) is an older version. You don't have the menu shown in the video, so you can't make new stuff.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

verthex
Member #11,340
September 2009

...and for $15 you can get a finished used copy of vagrant story which is a lot more advanced than micecraft will ever be even if they spend 5 more years developing it.

Memo said:

There was a gameboy advance game a while back with simcity type gameplay and you could mine, create new machines and technologies from materials, and conquer new areas with those resources, this game would only be different in a way if it was an RPG, which for 10 dollars does not look too promising (for that genre). I think its a rip off.

yes I did say micecraft!

Sirocco
Member #88
April 2000

I'm happy to have made a contribution to one of the more noteworthy threads in Allegro.cc history ;)

{"name":"kehtooloo.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/c\/c\/cc2d264a04d1515dc888846e42749744.jpg","w":258,"h":283,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/c\/c\/cc2d264a04d1515dc888846e42749744"}kehtooloo.jpg

-->
Graphic file formats used to fascinate me, but now I find them rather satanic.

decepto
Member #7,102
April 2006

verthex said:

..and for $15 you can get a finished used copy of vagrant story which is a lot more advanced than micecraft will ever be even if they spend 5 more years developing it.

I think you're underestimating this game by comparing it to a gameboy title or Vagrant Story. Can you create Turing Machines in Vagrant Story?

--------------------------------------------------
Boom!

verthex
Member #11,340
September 2009

decepto said:

Can you create Turing Machines in Vagrant Story?

Nope, but how would that make the game interesting. I can only imagine that giving the game a puzzle aspect which is something every rpg has.

Billybob
Member #3,136
January 2003

decepto said:

Can you create Turing Machines in Vagrant Story?

Can you create Turing machines in Minecraft!?

verthex
Member #11,340
September 2009

I'm pretty sure that some games have an abacus like Myst maybe. I dunno.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Minecraft ate my entire night last night. Literally, I stayed up until seven this morning.

EDIT:

I also can't get my inventory to open in Survival mode. All the other controls work fine.

decepto
Member #7,102
April 2006

Billybob said:

Can you create Turing machines in Minecraft!?

Yeah! Browse through the minecraft forums. People are building all sorts of contraptions. With the different block mechanics, it's possible to create all the basic logic gates.

--------------------------------------------------
Boom!

Elverion
Member #6,239
September 2005

verthex said:

I'm pretty sure that some games have an abacus like Myst maybe. I dunno.

{"name":"Don_Vito_ABACUS_by_rpglord.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/5\/3\/538792b94813026ae02f8768adca3928.jpg","w":320,"h":240,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/5\/3\/538792b94813026ae02f8768adca3928"}Don_Vito_ABACUS_by_rpglord.jpg

--
SolarStrike Software - MicroMacro home - Automation software.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I can't figure out how to use the workbench, so I can only make sticks and torches (and I can't get the torches to work :P). :-/

The latest build also seems to be unstable. :( Apparently that will be fixed "today or tomorrow" though. :)

Jonatan Hedborg
Member #4,886
July 2004

Bam: You use the torches by equiping it and clicking the right button. You place it on a wall.

You also use the work bench by right-clicking on it.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

This is like first person Dwarf Fortress with quite a bit less depth to it. And yes, you can create Turing machines in Dwarf Fortress :P

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Is there a way to heal yourself? I tried to box myself in a "cave" over night with the 2 torches you start with (because monsters spawn in darkness), but like suddenly this crazy green thing BURST THROUGH THE WALL and attacked me. It died somehow (I don't know how I could have killed it with a flower), but it left me with like 2 1/2 hearts (out of about 8 or 10) remaining and I have yet to figure out how to restore health... :-X

Go to: