Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Vancouver Meetup?

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
Vancouver Meetup?
Evert
Member #794
November 2000

Neglected to say, it's not as though Hamilton is the place to be.[1]

I should find a way to meet the moose; we're not that far anymore.

Funny how perceptions of distance are culturally determined. Although I suppose that on the scale of Canada it really isn't all that far.
If you time your visit around the time I'm in Edmonton (not that my travel plans are set at this point) we can make it a proper meetup. :D

References

1. In terms of clever names, Hamilton is sometimes referred to as "the steelshitty".
23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

It won't be anytime soon; I have no means to get to Edmonton right now. But it's only like a three hour drive.

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

I respect Edmonton for being a real Canadian city. It's not like all those other ones that just set up camp as close to USA as possible. >:(

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

It won't be anytime soon; I have no means to get to Edmonton right now. But it's only like a three hour drive.

About two and a half actually. Or two if you speed like most people on Highway 2.

Also, if you do come up, and have to take the bus, I suggest RedArrow over Greyhound. They use Motor Coaches rather than shitty cramped buses, they have laptop power ports (if you ask when booking), and free beverages (and digestion cookies!). It is a little more expensive. It depends if you think your comfort is important enough ;D (for me, it usually is).

Evert said:

Funny how perceptions of distance are culturally determined. Although I suppose that on the scale of Canada it really isn't all that far.

Do you find 250Km is all that far? The major highway connecting the two cities is pretty much a straight drive through prairie.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Do you find 250Km is all that far? The major highway connecting the two cities is pretty much a straight drive through prairie.

I was assuming 23 was in Winnipeg[1], which made it a bit more than 250 Km according to Google Maps. ;)

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

Do you find 250Km is all that far?

I come from a country where driving 250km pretty much gets you across the border into the next country.
So yes, by that metric, it's far. ;)

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Evert said:

So yes, by that metric, it's far. ;)

Edmonton is fun that way, its 250KM to the nearest large(ish) city. If you want to get to a border (any border) its more like 500-800km. Edmonton is kind of right in the middle of Alberta, go any direction and it takes a while to get anywhere.

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Johan Halmén
Member #1,550
September 2001

{"name":"14342_348815420220_339442025220_9852090_7856167_n.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/a\/d\/ade588a21855aaaff0b95f080804b3c3.jpg","w":449,"h":604,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/a\/d\/ade588a21855aaaff0b95f080804b3c3"}14342_348815420220_339442025220_9852090_7856167_n.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Years of thorough research have revealed that the red "x" that closes a window, really isn't red, but white on red background.

Years of thorough research have revealed that what people find beautiful about the Mandelbrot set is not the set itself, but all the rest.

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

Last Allergo.CC'er I met in person was Derezo; how many years ago was that now?

It was quite some time ago. More than 3 years at least.
I'd like to meet up with some A.cc'ers again, but alas, I have gone crazy :(

;)

Vancouver is too far... and the olymics got old a few centuries back.

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Derezo said:

Vancouver is too far... and the olymics got old a few centuries back.

I'm mainly going to see my Niece(s) and my Aunt. :)

And of course to help my sister out while she's battling the last month of pregnancy.

--

van_houtte
Member #11,605
January 2010

try not to eat her young ones :-*

-----
For assistance, please register and click on this link to PM a moderator

Sometimes you may have to send 3-4 messages

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Pardon, your freudian slip is showing

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

So it's just Goalie Ca and me? I had figured thered be more a.ccers in vancouver than that.

append:

Made it safely to Port Moody. Anyone who wants to meet up let me know. :)

--

1   2 

Go to: