Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Vancouver Meetup?

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
Vancouver Meetup?
Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

I'm going to be in Vancouver for about a month in a couple weeks. Anyone want to meet up?

I'll be staying some place in Port Moody.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Goalie Ca
Member #2,579
July 2002

Well seing how during half of the next month there will be olympics, I'd say you have to get your asses all down to granville island or robson square.

-------------
Bah weep granah weep nini bong!

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

I really couldn't care less about the olympics. I haven't watched a single event in a decade or more.

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I'm sick of seeing all of the commercials with Canadian Olympic athletes claiming they're going to get gold (and have to) because it's hosted in Canada. >:( That just pisses me off. I hope to see them all fail under the pressure and then have the Internet combine the before and after shots for lols at their expense. Our athletes should be humble, not arrogant. Those commercials are proof that Canadians are assholes after all; just assholes without a decent military.[1]

References

1. Referring to Canada's image of being peaceful when compared to the big bad USA. ::)
Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

Hey bamccaig,

I think I speak on behalf of all Canadians when I say GTFO! Otherwise you're just a big fucking hypocrite. Don't say "it ain't that easy" either, because if it were really bad here, you wouldn't care, you'd leave anyway.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

It isn't easy to get American citizenship. It takes years and that's if you're lucky. The easiest way is through marriage or employment. It's also not cheap. AFAIK, you can't legally work in the USA without citizenship.

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

Either leave or STFU.

Goalie Ca
Member #2,579
July 2002

I really couldn't care less about the olympics. I haven't watched a single event in a decade or more.

Neither do i! But since they are shutting down the transportation and universities and pretty much the whole city, we at least might as well see the free concerts. Security alone costs $1 billion so might as well indulge in what little there is for me before the bill comes in.

edit: so is anyone else in vancouver or nearby other than me and tomasu?

-------------

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

StevenVI
Member #562
July 2000

I'm in Florida, just a country away.... ;)

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

You saying you wouldn't drive to Vancouver to meet up with a few people for coffee or something? You SELFISH BASTARD!

Yodhe23
Member #8,726
June 2007

Looks fondly across the pond at the former new england colonies....

"Ah bless 'em."

www.justanotherturn.com

SonShadowCat
Member #1,548
September 2001

bam said:

AFAIK, you can't legally work in the USA without citizenship

Wait...what? Not everyone in the US is a citizen( I'm talking about the ones here legally) and they can still work without the fear of being deported or arrested.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Yeah, they have visas, and the US doesnt give many of them out.

And for some reason windows is being STUPID again. Its changed my keyboard layout on me, and I cant type apostophes or any kind of brackets or braces. bloody annoying.

Starting to remember again why I dont use windows.

edit: and I removed the stupid multilingual keyboard options in the settings, still wont let my type those characters. stupid.

--

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

Bamccaig said:

AFAIK, you can't legally work in the USA without citizenship.

I've known a few people who would disagree, from personal experience. Someone bring me back a tea, milk and one sugar please?

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Wait...what? Not everyone in the US is a citizen( I'm talking about the ones here legally) and they can still work without the fear of being deported or arrested.

I did a little bit of reading online after posting that. It seems you don't need to be a citizen, but non-citizens do need to apply for permission (I suppose a work visa) and be approved (this as a way of deterring illegal aliens from coming to the USA to work). By the sound of it, you need an employer to do this application process for you. I don't know if they just give you permission without having a job lined up. I would like to do contract work if I could because I don't enjoy working for people that aren't as obsessive about cleanliness and correctness as I am. That said, I'd also be happy to work for a company that is. Or Hell, one that pays me well regardless. :P

Additionally, your time in the USA as a non-citizen is limited, even if you do have permission to work there. I think after so much time (5 or 6 years, IIRC) your permission to work in the USA expires and non-citizens are required to leave the country for at least a year before they can apply again. So if you actually intend to stay there indefinitely, you have to get citizenship. Or at least, if you intend to work there. I don't know if this applies to the unemployed?

???

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

bamccaig said:

this as a way of deterring illegal aliens from coming to the USA to work

Actually it seems to be a great way to make for more illegal aliens. Its far easier to just walk over, and start working, rather than deal with the months of waiting and piles of paperwork for a visa you probably won't get.

--

Mokkan
Member #4,355
February 2004

My girlfriend's mom is Canadian, and she legally lived and worked in the US for 30+ years with no citizenship (she just got it last year or so). I believe she had a green card.

EDIT: This topic is going way off-topic :o. Vancouver is about 300 miles north of me. I might be able to go up there in the near future... never been to Canada.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Mokkan said:

This topic is going way off-topic :o

Yeah, douche's tend to do that ;)

--

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

bamccaig said:

Additionally, your time in the USA as a non-citizen is limited, even if you do have permission to work there. I think after so much time (5 or 6 years, IIRC) your permission to work in the USA expires and non-citizens are required to leave the country for at least a year before they can apply again.

I know plenty of people who have lived and worked in the US longer than that without being a US citizen. Maybe you need to apply for a green card though.

Quote:

So if you actually intend to stay there indefinitely, you have to get citizenship. Or at least, if you intend to work there.

No you don't. Although if you intend to stay somewhere indefinitely you might as well apply for citizenship there.

Quote:

I don't know if this applies to the unemployed?

Aren't the unemployed left out do die?

Anyway, I could go on about why I vastly prefer Canada to the US, which are essentially the same reasons I prefer Europe to Canada, but that's not really the point of this thread though, is it?

I'm nowhere close to Vancouver, so I won't be joining any meeting there. I'll probably be in Edmonton later in the year though.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Evert said:

I'll probably be in Edmonton later in the year though.

What the heck for? ;) Really though this city's main nickname is Deadmonton.

But if you're willing to meet up when you're out here, so am I.

--

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

What the heck for? ;) Really though this city's main nickname is Deadmonton.

That may be, but there's a university there that has some people I know and should come and visit. In other words, for work.

Quote:

But if you're willing to meet up when you're out here, so am I.

Sure.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Evert said:

That may be, but there's a university there that has some people I know and should come and visit. In other words, for work.

Probably the only (two?) valid reasons to visit Edmonton. :)

Quote:

Sure.

Well before you get out here let me know when/where :)

--

Goalie Ca
Member #2,579
July 2002

well I'll be around here for the next month if anyone is coming.

-------------

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Quote:

Deadmonton

Oh, that's just clever. Almost as much as Winter-peg, Mani-snow-ba.

I should find a way to meet the moose; we're not that far anymore. Last Allergo.CC'er I met in person was Derezo; how many years ago was that now?

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

1   2 

Go to: