Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » [NES] I just bought an NES on eBay! \o/

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
[NES] I just bought an NES on eBay! \o/
Sol Blast
Member #9,655
April 2008

That's just silly; neither of those has vowels.

Yes, that was the joke.

Also, getting a NES would be brilliantly nostalgic, and i don't even own a PSP. I just wanted an excuse to make that joke ;D.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

I have an original (NA) NES, SNES, n64, and GameBoy. All work pretty well.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Thomas Harte
Member #33
April 2000

I have to admit to having no idea when they introduced the top loaders or how prominent they were; if you have an original NES then have you had to do any maintenance work on the cartridge contacts?

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

We've got an NES at our camp that sort of works (the damn power light keeps flashing unless you turn it off and on very rapidly). Our SNES and N64 are currently in my closet. I've also got an original gameboy from 1989 that still works :).

The N64's controllers are hosed though. The analog stick on both controllers are worn pretty loose. I read that they can be fixed but it's usually easier to just find a new controller :'(

if you have an original NES then have you had to do any maintenance work on the cartridge contacts?

There was a cleaning kit you could buy that was supposed to help with the lockout problem (which is what I believe my NES is suffering from). AFAIK it was still quite possible that the contacts in the NES would eventually get bent/pushed back making the console fail as well.

=================================================
Paul whoknows: Why is this thread still open?
Onewing: Because it is a pthread: a thread for me to pee on.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

I have to admit to having no idea when they introduced the top loaders or how prominent they were; if you have an original NES then have you had to do any maintenance work on the cartridge contacts?

I think we once used a rental cleaner cartridge a decade ago. Other than that we just blew in it.

What causes the most fuss right now is one of the games petty much needs the game genie attached in order for it to boot at all. No amount of sliding the game to one side or another, or blowing in either part will help.

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I noticed that like all of the NESes on eBay have gold cartridge connector upgrades or something... :-/ I don't think the one I'm getting (assuming PayPal hurries the fsck up!) has them, which is good because I think I'd rather get an unadulterated one and upgrade it myself if I'm so inclined. If it does have it, oh well, hopefully it means more reliable booting. :)

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

{"name":"Consola_NES_2.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/0\/f04e813ea8883f13470c9fe86f0d2d61.jpg","w":800,"h":600,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/f\/0\/f04e813ea8883f13470c9fe86f0d2d61"}Consola_NES_2.jpg

The official top loading NES was released in 1993 and worked flawlessly. Because of that, they still commonly sell for over $70 on eBay.

Although sneaky Nintendo made sure the Game Genie wouldn't fit in it.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I saw a few of those on eBay and didn't want one no matter what the price... :-/ It just wouldn't bring back the memories of the original. :) Also, it looks ridiculously stupid to me... :-/

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

I had never actually even seen one of those till I started watching AVGN. Ours just kept working and working..

--

ReyBrujo
January 2001

Got my SNES with a yellowish hue. It still works, but I am afraid some of my battery games are already done for (although I tried Zelda: A Link to the Past a year or two ago and it still had it). My GB still works, although there is a pixel row that no longer turns on near the right (around 5 or 6 pixel rows from the side). And my original Nintendo DS is dying too, a full battery recharge only lasts for around an hour and a bit more. And now that I use it for homebrew (mostly Comic Book DS) it goes down even faster.

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」
Mitsuko's last words, Battle Royale

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

ReyBrujo said:

And my original Nintendo DS is dying too, a full battery recharge only lasts for around an hour and a bit more. And now that I use it for homebrew (mostly Comic Book DS) it goes down even faster.

you can replace the battery yourself...

--

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

You can replace a NES battery too ... just use a CR2032 and tape it back together.

ReyBrujo
January 2001

I guess I could, if I were able to find a replacement. But with the original phased out 3 years ago, it is harder to find them.

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」

Thomas Harte
Member #33
April 2000

Sorry, bamccaig, mine arrived this morning. And the PSU is a switching model, so a dumb plug adaptor is all I need. Will try to work a trip to the shops into my day...

{"name":"598859","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/0\/8\/08fbb54bbcbbfd8042ddd9b852842194.jpg","w":400,"h":300,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/0\/8\/08fbb54bbcbbfd8042ddd9b852842194"}598859

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

What if you have neither? (a paypal balance transfer takes as long as an echeck payment, its the same thing infact)

Transferring from a credit/debit card or from paypal balance is instantaneous. The only time you have to wait is if you're doing an echeck or bank debit (basically the same as an echeck) because they don't clear right away.

Also, if you don't have either, thats your own fault. At least in the US, anyone with a checking account can get a debit card which can be used thruogh the ATM network or Visa or MasterCard.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

BAF said:

Transferring from a credit/debit card or from paypal balance is instantaneous.

Again, if you had one, you'd use it with pay pal, not make echeck transfers :)

Quote:

At least in the US,

Not everyone is from the US you know.

Quote:

The only time you have to wait is if you're doing an echeck or bank debit (basically the same as an echeck) because they don't clear right away.

Which take a couple business days max. Even checks in Canada only take that long now. not the 8 business days PayPal holds echecks for.

--

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

BAF said:

Transferring from a credit/debit card or from paypal balance is instantaneous.

For foreign transactions?
Remember, a Canadian bank transferring money to a PayPal account is an international transaction.

Thomas Harte
Member #33
April 2000

On my own parallel version of the thread, I've discovered that Star Wars seems to be a really good game. And I'm explicitly not a fan of the films.

kenmasters1976
Member #8,794
July 2007

I liked Crystalis on the NES. Later it was ported to the GBC, but they had the brilliant idea of changing the story making it worse.

The NES version was really good back then.

ReyBrujo
January 2001

The Star Wars game was the #1 NES game until Super Mario Bros 3 appeared. And when Empire Strikes Back came, it went to #2 below SMB3, so we are talking about high quality games.

If you manage to find an Elite NES cartridge, don't doubt it, even Ian Bell mentions it is the best version.

Still got some old magazines ('91-'95) in case you want more suggestions.

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」

kenmasters1976
Member #8,794
July 2007

ReyBrujo said:

Still got some old magazines ('91-'95) in case you want more suggestions.

Club Nintendo, maybe?.

ReyBrujo
January 2001

Got some Club Nintendos (although I gave away many of the earliest ones to people who needed the guides). Also, Spanish magazines like Hobby Consolas and similar. These arrived 6 months later here, but without internet was the best I could wish for.

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」

Thomas Harte
Member #33
April 2000

ReyBrujo said:

If you manage to find an Elite NES cartridge, don't doubt it, even Ian Bell mentions it is the best version [www.iancgbell.clara.net].

I have one. Sadly it's because I spotted it at a car boot sale years ago and bought it just in case (for £2 or something else negligible). It should still be in my mother's garage. Sadly I won't be able to use it, since the NES compatible I've invested in is strictly NTSC and my quick bit of afternoon research reveals that it displays incorrectly on NTSC machines.

EDIT: on that same topic, Nintendo seem to have mildly adapted the Mario titles for the PAL market, rather than just chucking the same code on a cartridge and ignoring the speed and display size differences. I think all they've done is adjusted the tempo of the music so it would sound the same, but that means that I'm now playing with tunes that play 20% too quickly...

ReyBrujo
January 2001

Oh, yeah. A pity there was no NTSC version, I have always had a soft spot for it. A few games I still got are Kick Master (which was really awesome with the multiple powers you could call with SELECT and the whole RPG element--obtain experience to learn new kicks and increase your mana to call powers more often). If you like side scrollers, this is a very good one.

{"name":"kickmaster01.png","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/9\/996715947acef753631a682d3b74af84.png","w":256,"h":224,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/9\/996715947acef753631a682d3b74af84"}kickmaster01.png

Another excellent game is Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, the NES/GameBoy version of the Kevin Costner movie, it is extremely long, covers all the movie (from the escape to the final battle), and has several types of gameplay: the main top-down view (which was used during most of the game, you could attack with it):

{"name":"gfs_46974_2_1.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/2\/a\/2a7c9869a475db39e806a176b30f99dc.jpg","w":800,"h":600,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/2\/a\/2a7c9869a475db39e806a176b30f99dc"}gfs_46974_2_1.jpg

the duel view (when you attacked someone "special" in the plot, and bosses):

{"name":"gfs_46974_2_2.jpg","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/c\/e\/ce620cc0a9bbd5b5c6822ac115aa7c7a.jpg","w":800,"h":600,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/c\/e\/ce620cc0a9bbd5b5c6822ac115aa7c7a"}gfs_46974_2_2.jpg

the horse races (this one stolen from Something Awful):

{"name":"splat.gif","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/0\/5\/051e4b47845bbf18790492a733a37ead.gif","w":256,"h":224,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/0\/5\/051e4b47845bbf18790492a733a37ead"}splat.gif

and the strategy battles (where you fight along all your partners, like during the wood city attack, this view is so far overhead that all the characters are probably 4 or 6 pixels tall). I really enjoyed it the many times I have played it (plus there are a lot of secrets, even got item management, since you had limited spots where to store it all).

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」

Schyfis
Member #9,752
May 2008

Sirocco said:

Yes. My Illusion of Gaia manual specifically states to hold in the reset button while powering off the console.

I just read mine cover to cover, but I didn't see any warning like that. What page is it on? (If it matters, I have the Nintendo Power "Explorer Handbook" version of the instruction manual.)

________________________________________________________________________________________________________
[freedwill.us]
[unTied Games]

Go to: