Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » The National TEA party

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3 
The National TEA party
Erikster
Member #9,510
February 2008

Cat! I'm a kitty cat. And I dance dance dance, and I dance dance dance.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

I imagine most of them probably paid their taxes. Right after they polished their guns and considered assassinating Obama for their own delusional reasons.

Glen Beck was the only person who actually made a semi-logical point for these "protests": the tax code is too complex and people don't understand it. But I think 99% of the people were there for other reasons.

This is what America is like people. I wonder if people are this easily lead to delusion in other countries, too. :-/

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

This is what America is like people

What?

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

This is what America is like, people.

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

So Americans (U.S. citizens?) give warning before they press the political reset button (aka trigger) ?

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

It's a minority of Americans with unfocused anger. Mostly, I see that these people are unknowingly projecting their anger onto the wrong targets. I'm glad it didn't turn into anything violent.

--

Kitty Cat
Member #2,815
October 2002

--
"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will pee on your computer." -- Bruce Graham

Bob
Free Market Evangelist
September 2000

I don't get it. The tea tax was repealed with the Taxation of Colonies Act of 1778.

--
- Bob
[ -- All my signature links are 404 -- ]

Goalie Ca
Member #2,579
July 2002

I get it, the edumacation system was repealed in 2002.

-------------
Bah weep granah weep nini bong!

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Bob said:

I don't get it. The tea tax was repealed with the Taxation of Colonies Act of 1778.

The whole thing is misplaced. In this case it's anger and fear shrouded as patriotism. Similar references include "what our founding fathers wanted!" and "Lincoln stood for liberty, you can't take that away from us!"

They also say TEA stands for Taxed Enough Already as they go around protesting taxes. One of their arguments is "Obama wants to raise our taxes even more!" even though they'll be paying less under his plan. I also saw a clip of a guy angry at Obama, calling him a "fascist". The reporter asked "how is he a fascist?" and the guy could only respond with "because he is! He's a fascist!"

Hey Bob, you're in Texas. You're probably seeing some of the most of it. Your Governor implied Texas was could secede. :o:o
::)

--

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Here in Illinois, we was could secede too.

Bob
Free Market Evangelist
September 2000

Mark said:

even though they'll be paying less under his plan

Unless you're a defense contractor or a bank, you're already paying more in taxes. Taxes aren't just the nominal amount taken from your paycheck or the additional small amount you pay when you buy things.

It's not very well understood theoretically, but measurements show that Ricardian Equivalence is largely true over the long term.

You're probably seeing some of the most of it. Your Governor implied Texas was could secede.

It can't. Texas could have split itself into 5 independent states, and those states could have decided to not join the Union. However, that agreement was:
a) only valid before the Civil War. A new agreement had to be remade when Texas rejoined the Union.
b) still needs to be aproved by the US Congress anyway. See US Constitution Article IV section 3.

--
- Bob
[ -- All my signature links are 404 -- ]

KnightWhoSaysNi
Member #7,339
June 2006

This is what America is like, people.

There were probably less than 20 people at each of those protests.

StevenVI
Member #562
July 2000

According to the CNN article, it was a protest against bailing out failing companies, and I have not heard many people who are actually in favor of that. (Granted, I don't read this forum often...) I know that I wouldn't invest in a company that couldn't manage itself.

Why are you (the handful that have posted in such a manner) reacting negatively to people letting their voice be heard? It's better than people sitting around saying, "oh nobody will ever listen to me." The government is for all the people, not just the snobs who think they're better than everyone else.

Jonny Cook
Member #4,055
November 2003

I didn't pay my taxes, but not because of the tea party thing. It's the only second time I've ever had to pay my taxes, and I didn't pay them the first time either. I just want to keep my money. >:(

There were probably less than 20 people at each of those protests.

I know that one had 4000 and another had 6000, but that's all I know of. I'm sure many others were equally successful.

The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face.

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

You got away with that?

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

BAF said:

You got away with that?

I do every year. But I do try and FILE my taxes. I just don't make enough for them to actually TAKE any from me.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Well, I don't have to pay taxes either, I still file them though. I was referring to Jonny's post, which makes it sound like he didn't even file.

Jonny Cook
Member #4,055
November 2003

Quote:

You got away with that?

So far I have.

I found these articles rather interesting and informative on the subject:
http://www.livefreenow.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=40&Itemid=105
http://www.livefreenow.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=6&Itemid=28
http://www.livefreenow.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=42&Itemid=103

Basically they say that there is no law which requires US citizens to pay taxes, and furthermore, if you do pay taxes there's an even greater chance that you will go to jail. And the amount of people who do go to jail is surprisingly small considering the number of people who file.

Plus I don't feel comfortable paying the government so they can continue to start wars in other countries for no real reasons.

The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face.

Steve Allen
Member #5,789
April 2005

So far I have.

I found these articles rather interesting and informative on the subject:
http://www.livefreenow.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=40&Itemid=105
http://www.livefreenow.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=6&Itemid=28
http://www.livefreenow.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=42&Itemid=103

Basically they say that there is no law which requires US citizens to pay taxes, and furthermore, if you do pay taxes there's an even greater chance that you will go to jail. And the amount of people who do go to jail is surprisingly small considering the number of people who file.

Eh, might want to rethink this strategy:

Joe Banister
"The former investigator, Joseph R. Banister, 42, of San Jose, Calif., has become a hero to the tax protest movement, even though two of his clients are serving long prison sentences after following his advice."

Freedom Fighter #1!

Sounds like the only martyrs here are the guys clients. No offense, but it would be safer to just claim aliens abducted you. :-/

EDIT: Oh yeah, those taxes are also paying for social security, infrastructure, education and more.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Basically they say that there is no law which requires US citizens to pay taxes

I call BULLSHIT on that one. There are laws, thats how you get to go to jail for being really stupid about taxes. And get your wages garnisheed for being half stupid. Yes, they can take the money you owe from you before you even get it. Think about that one for a moment. Let it sink in.

Just because they haven't let you know they know you aren't paying, doesn't mean they won't follow up later. They can do it at any time, and will. Could be 10 years from now when you owe tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars in taxes. What will you do then when they audit you and ask for all that money? (in fact its much more likely to happen when you owe a lot more, its more worth their time that way, the bigger the offender, the more they have to prove).

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Basically they say that there is no law which requires US citizens to pay taxes

You are incredibly ignorant to believe anybody who claims that you do not have to pay income tax. Laughably ignorant.

You can to jail for it, among other things. How is that not proof enough? Gangster Al Capone went to prison for ... income tax invasion!

You can sincerely believe in your heart that the IRS has no right to collect taxes, but that won't hold up in any court. And that's ultimately where your fate lies; not in hands of some conspiracy theorist.

Quote:

and furthermore, if you do pay taxes there's an even greater chance that you will go to jail.

Really? I think you fail at conditional probabilities.

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

EDIT: Oh yeah, those taxes are also paying for social security, infrastructure, education and more.

Well, social security is supposed to be paid for by the social security taken out of your paycheck, which is taken out separate from taxes (just like medicare).

amber
Member #6,783
January 2006

You all are just mad Jonny figured out you don't actually have to pay taxes while you all have been stupidly paying them this whole time! ;D

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

I'm not mad, I was just questioning his reasoning. As I said, I'm a full time student and I don't earn much, therefore I claim exempt for taxes, and if I didn't it would all be refunded to me anyhow.

1   2   3 

Go to: