Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Who Needs Direction?

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Who Needs Direction?
alethiophile
Member #9,349
December 2007

I like the story and addenda that have been proposed by Trezker, Mark Oates and Neil Black. Maybe also, there could be a level/area in which you are being attacked by robots (either left there to guard something, or malfunctioning), and you have to reach a computer from which you can reprogram them?

--
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
C++: An octopus made by nailing extra legs onto a dog.
I am the Lightning-Struck Penguin of Doom.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

That sounds interesting. Maybe the wrecked spaceship could damage the space station's internal defenses and you have to get to the core processor and reboot it.

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Need I bring up the huge team we had formed for Retro Remakes several years back? We ended up with a team leader (possibly it was even 23 back then too), the project went on for a short while, then just kinda dropped dead out of nowhere.

Trezker
Member #1,739
December 2001

Let's not think about failure, it's fun while it lasts.

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Quote:

(possibly it was even 23 back then too)

Wait; what?

Keep brainstorming, sometime in the next few days I'll try to grab a cohesive plan out of it all and post it. More ideas == better ...

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

OnlineCop
Member #7,919
October 2006

Well, we now have the general game idea and genre down. We have several people willing to work on the game. We have someone with access to a temporary repository.

What we DON'T want for a game is a committee. All of the programmers who will be in this team will have to acknowledge that they may give some game ideas that are flat out rejected by the project leader, and some that are only partially accepted or implemented.

All the game fleshing-out, storyline details, environments, animations, battles, and so on should only be the project group's decisions. Forum input is always welcome, but quickly gets out of hand.

Is there anything else we need to actually start programming now? The whole idea is to get a simple idea "just working enough" to showcase it here on the forums in a short amount of time. It doesn't HAVE to be a blockbuster. Heck, it doesn't even need to be FUN, nor 100% bug-free. Just get something working and "out there" and let others take a look at the group effort, give feedback, etc.

I wanted to do something fun without it becoming tedious.

So let's program!

alethiophile
Member #9,349
December 2007

I know very little about game programming for larger games, but from what I can tell we'll need some engine code that won't change regardless of storyline, especially if we've agreed on the basic game type (top-down shooter). Maybe we should work on that.

--
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Trezker
Member #1,739
December 2001

I suggest setting up trac. Its wiki and task management is easy to work with and it can be extended with more features if needed.

And no, I don't think we're ready to start coding yet. You can start on your own stuff if the fingers are itching, but we haven't even passed the concept stage yet.

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

Who will setup the trac server? It requires root access. Well, if it doesn't, then I don't feel like looking too hard right now. (That, and the system I would run on only has Python 2.3... Bleh)

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Matt Smith
Member #783
November 2000

Quote:

Yeah, I'll probably end up writing the story in the end, but my point stands that half the stuff being suggested at this point would be scrapped if it doesn't fit the plot.

Scripts for dialoque scenes would be useful, but the story can often follow after the map. Instead of a story declaring "He walked a long way" it's a case of "Map #3 looks nice but takes a long time to walk across, so let's explain that in the story".

Major characters need fleshing out first, so they can be drawn, animated and used to devise storylines. This would need to be a fairly detailed biography. Professional authors do it for themselves, and it would be utterly essential in a group project, or else the characters will be children of a single mind. If it's your primary duty Chris, then you'll either have to carry through the "visionary" thing or let go at the start and make sure the character's motivations and emotions are public property.
EDIT: Another plan would be to get volunteers for the voice acting, and let them motivate their own characters. Is there something like skype which lets you multitrack record a conference call?

Somebody needs to specify exactly what the tile size and perspective is, unless you are waiting for an artist to come along and read your mind.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

I'd say 16x16 or 32x32 would be a good tile size. 16x16 would be good because the tiles require less time, but 32x32 looks nicer (when done well). As for the perspective, I assumed it would be in the 3/4 top-down style like the early Zeldas.

EDIT:

Another question, would this load room-by-room like the early Zeldas, or be more free-roaming like FF, but with Zelda-like combat?

Matt Smith
Member #783
November 2000

It would be safe to assume it will load map-by-map. Whether that involves scrolling is not important at this stage, and is platform dependent anyway.

How the combat is done is constrained by the available graphics. If your artist can do 20 frame sword sweep animations in an hour, then do that everywhere. If you are forced to work with scanned concept art then you need a separate combat 'pop up'.

Doing everything as 3d models saves making pixel-size decisions, and needn't take any longer to do. Pixelling can be VERY tedious, after all. You could shave this burden off the total prohect workload if you used Reiner's Tilesets for everything.

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Reiner's Tilesets?

Matt Smith
Member #783
November 2000

http://reinerstileset.4players.de/englisch.html !

He uses an odd 4:3 iso with 64x48 tiles. There's a lot more interesting characters now. The original ones from his RTS would have left you with a main character who mines gold, and in his spare time hunts and chops trees.

Best of all, they are all totally free to use in any game you like.

EDIT: I've just found his Sound Effects :) That's another 100 man hours saved. http://reinerstileset.4players.de/soundfxE.html

Trezker
Member #1,739
December 2001

16*16 is too small. I'd much rather see 32*32 tiles.

I've been thinking a little bit about this space station/ship thing. I'm thinking a science vessel carrying a couple hundred people designed for travel around the galaxy. So something along the lines of the Enterprise from Star Trek in size and equipment. Though I suggest making original design, weaponry and propulsion if someone has good starship imagination.

Of course, huge parts of the ship will never be visited in the game, but it's good to get an outside view in the cutscenes and on the box cover.

Another thing. What kind of inhabitants do we want on the ship and in this alliance of planets? (It's been sounding like some people like my intro story) Is it all humans that has spread through the galaxy, splintered into warring factions with different home worlds? Is it lots of different species radically different physiologically? Or should one go the Star Trek way, different races with minor facial features?

Matt Smith
Member #783
November 2000

Quote:

What kind of inhabitants do we want on the ship and in this alliance of planets?

Whatever kind the artist gives you. Draw Your Captain!!!

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

I vote for 32x32. 16x16 is cool, but hey, this is 2008 ;)

For perspective, Lets go with zelda, but taller characters. Think Chrono Trigger... actually, yea, Chrono Trigger at 32x32.

http://www.allegro.cc/files/attachment/596294

Trez said:

Is it lots of different species radically different physiologically?

I like this one. It gives some creative fun to the art department, and can make the game style more visually dynamic.

Matt said:

If it's your primary duty Chris, then you'll either have to carry through the "visionary" thing or let go at the start and make sure the character's motivations and emotions are public property.

I'm thinking Chris is more of the bottom line decision-maker. Its our job to spit out a bunch of crap, push around each others ideas, and then Chris sifts through it to make the final decisions.

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Quote:

I'm thinking Chris is more of the bottom line decision-maker. Its our job to spit out a bunch of crap, push around each others ideas, and then Chris sifts through it to make the final decisions.

Strangely enough, thats what a good leader does.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

alethiophile
Member #9,349
December 2007

Tile size, I vote for 32x32. For the plot, I think it makes sense if it's humans who spread around the galaxy.

--

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

I like the idea of aliens, especially really funky-looking aliens that would have interesting sprites.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I generally prefer the humans spreading around space idea... The aliens humans come up with are generally poorly thought out and irrational, especially when placed in a world designed for human physiology. I find quite often the alien species can detract from a game, TV show, or movie. Of course, this game probably isn't intended to be very realistic so aliens could work just as well here. :P

OnlineCop
Member #7,919
October 2006

Comprimise: Illegal aliens! Now you have humans AND you have aliens!::)

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

It works for me. Actually I just don't want to make a big issue out of something that is, in the end, not very important.

Trezker
Member #1,739
December 2001

Who wants to add a Hooloovoo somewhere in the game?
(A Hooloovoo is a superintelligent shade of the colour blue)

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Can it be the final boss?

"How the f*** do we kill a superintelligent shade of the color blue?"
"Mix it with a shade of the color orange?"

Go to: