Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Palin ?!?!?! WTF?

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Palin ?!?!?! WTF?
Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

I prefer: http://www.electoral-vote.com/

Note that the current polls are biased toward Obama as they contain his post convention bump. McCain is likely to cancel that with a similar bump in the next polls.

Interestingly enough, it looks like Obama can win without Ohio or Florida. If Obama can just hold the smaller states of Iowa, Colorado, Nevado, and New Mexico (which Bush won in 2004), he will likely win. But McCain will definitely have to take both Ohio and Florida to win.

While the national polls are tight, and probably will remain so, I still think Obama could run away with the electoral votes. He's competitive in major Republican states like Montana, North Dakota, and South Dakota. Those are as rural and white as you can get. That alone should be enough to scare McCain.

I think it's possible that Obama could sweep from Minnesota and Iowa all the way through the North East, including Indiana and Ohio. If that happened, it would be a humiliating loss for the Republicans. And if Obama took Florida... ouch.

But I wouldn't count McCain out. If he can win Ohio, Colorado, and New Mexico, he'll be very close.

Ariesnl
Member #2,902
November 2002

Explain this to me:

Being PRO - LIFE, is an oppinion.. you can agree with it or not..

Being PRO-GUN, is also an oppinion you can agree with of not..

BUT HOW can someone be PRO- life AND PRO-GUN ???

That is illogical captain

Perhaps one day we will find that the human factor is more complicated than space and time (Jean luc Picard)
Current project: [Star Trek Project ] Join if you want ;-)

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Your mistake is summing up the two different (and complex) topics with a single word. For instance, you could say that Democrats are both pro-death (abortion) and pro-life (healthcare). Illogical!

Whether or not a person's opinions are contradicting depends on what he is basing them.

Thomas Harte
Member #33
April 2000

Quote:

Note that the current polls are biased toward Obama as they contain his post convention bump. McCain is likely to cancel that with a similar bump in the next polls.

Yep, although I gather that McCain's speech was received poorly on the convention floor? Of course I don't think that people who attend the Republican party conference are representative of the nation as a whole, but I haven't heard that speech so that's pretty much everything I (think I) know about it at the minute.

Quote:

While the national polls are tight, and probably will remain so, I still think Obama could run away with the electoral votes.

The press here are saying quite a lot of things about this being Obama's election to lose, but that it wouldn't be impossible to lose it. I take it you would generally agree with that point of view?

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

I would say it's the Democrats election to lose given Bush's unpopularity, but the long Democratic primaries made it clear how McCain should attack Obama or Clinton. Then it took the Clintons until the convention to properly endorse Obama. Had Obama or Clinton not run in the primaries, then the other would probably have a greater lead over McCain.

But any Presidential race without the President running has the potential to be close. That's just because you have perhaps 45% right and 45% left that are always going to vote the same way regardless of the candidates. And given the way the electoral college works, it always comes down to winning a few swing states.

I think the biggest key is voter turnout in the swing states... It's less about convincing people to vote for you than it is to convince people who would vote for you to actually vote.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Quote:

It was only 1982 that the UK and Canada formalised the reality that the UK no longer has the power to legislate for Canada. So there's definitely a precedent for the practical limits on power being substantially different to the technical legal limits...

Well, technically the Lt. governor still has say over what goes down, and he/she's the queen's stand in. But he/she's normally selected by the prime minister, and should the Lt. Gov try to push something through for the queen, and we don't like it, I'm pretty sure it'll just be ignored, or we'll just remove the Lt. Gov's power completely.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

StevenVI
Member #562
July 2000

Quote:

He's competitive in major Republican states like . . . South Dakota

South Dakota is split down the line, it is not a major Republican state.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Quote:

Wasn't it previously? I hear that several prior long time republican states are now showing a lead for Obama.

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Frank Griffin
Member #7474
July 2006

I was watching Larry King still alive during the convention and what some of the liberal said on his show were amazing retarded. Every major election speech I have even seen, has the family of the candidate come up on stage if they are around for both Dems and Repubs. One female liberal said she was repulsed by how Palin trotted her family around on stage. One of the other guests suggested the job may be too big for a woman with young children. Talk like this only shows just how biased the main stream media really is. The main stream meida is blind in addition to being biased because they swear up and down they are being fair just like Dan Rather still insists that his documents against Bush are still real.

Most of you guys probably assume I am a republican but I am not. I use common sense and the data that is available to make my choice. If anyone cares to look at Obamas policies and has just the vaguest idea of how the world really works could not possibly support BO. The best way to help the poor is to have the economy do as great as possible. As the election gets closer and closer, more and more people begin to learn about both candidates. This is why the Dems are always ahead at the start since they sound great on the surface by buying votes with all kinds of giveaways. Once people realize that these free things are not free Dem support begins to fall away. This is just now beginning to happen for BO. The mega loss for BO is just beginning to form.

During the last 2 elections most of the poles said Gore was gonna win and yet he lost, all the poles said Kerry was gonna win and yet he lost. This time some of the poles say Obama is gonna win and it is still 2 months out. Put a fork in him because he is done.

"BUT HOW can someone be PRO- life AND PRO-GUN"

I look the more than scratches the surface will provide the answers for republicans. The Dems on the other hand truly demand conflicting positions on a regular basis.

"If Bush had a better rating, they may have tried to undo the 2 term limit like any good dictator would."

Foolish as usual.

"A creationist a heart beat away from the presidency?"

Palin has a good stance on this. She wants the local government to determine which one or if both creationism and Darwinism will be taught.

"Well, I was sort of hoping for a temporary reprieve. I think the problem with threads in which Frank becomes involved is that at least one person (myself, once) goes much too far with the opposing rhetoric and Frank responds in kind, making everyone look like they're being wholly unreasonable."

You are 100% correct. The only problem is that if someone slights me I am ten times better at it, so it is like poor Thomas Fjellstrom is bringing a paper clip to a gun fight. Thomas loves to light the flame and then complain about the very environment he created.

"Know whats funny? I started doing it because he was. I think its funny to Mock Frank. Normally I'd be 100% against it, even if a person doesn't hold my views, but Frank is just a character, like Colbert is. Might as well play along I say "

So you started it and you forgot, this is the Thomas I have come to know. I havent been on this site for almost a week and you have still been babbling because of your last verbal thrashing. My pimp hand is getting tired here.

"gut feeling the people in England are poor" -Samuli
"taken out of context it's an awesome quote" - Jonatan Hedborg

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Quote:

I use common sense

Inigo Montoya said:

I do not think it means what you think it means.

--

nonnus29
Member #2,606
August 2002

Quote:

My pimp hand is getting tired here.

We've already annointed him [Thomas F. Griffin] as your protege.

Quote:

The best way to help the poor is to have the economy do as great as possible. As the election gets closer and closer, more and more people begin to learn about both candidates.

Now Obama is changing his position AGAIN: he's saying IF (wtf? if?) we're in a recession he won't repeal Bush's tax cuts. I haven't heard anything about the retro-active Energy tax/credit/vote purchase plan lately either.

He's changed his stance on Iran too (see the Oreilly interview clip from last week).

If Obama changes his postions much more he'll have to call himself a Republican.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Quote:

I havent been on this site for almost a week and you have still been babbling because of your last verbal thrashing.

Really? I could swear I was working on renovations and allegro durring that time. I hope you don't claim to be psychic.

Quote:

So you started it and you forgot

No, You started it, you just can't admit you were trolling :P

Quote:

We've already annointed him [Thomas F. Griffin] as your protege.

Heh.

--

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Quote:

I do not think it means what you think it means.

Inconceivable!

Let's see, what will McCain do for us?
- Waste more time drilling for oil that won't change the price of gasoline.
- Continue to deny funding to innovations in alternative energy.
- Corporate tax breaks. Because he thinks trickle down economics actually work.
- Help lift environmental protections.

What about Obama?
- Invest in cleaner alternative energy infrastructure in the United States.
- Create more American jobs by investing in alternative energy sources.
- Work to make higher education and health care affordable for all Americans.

I don't see how anyone can call a decision like that a choice. Only one is remotely sane.

In regards to raising taxes in general, the Republicans always play the 'hero' of the middle class by lowering taxes and driving the country deeper into debt while they spend even more frivolously. This leaves the Democrats to be the ones to shoulder the responsibility of the debts they incur, along with making the Democrats the scape goats when they are forced to raise taxes to pay off the Republican's debts.

I think one of the main problems with the legislative branch of our government is the allowance of rider bills. These alone probably account for most of the wasteful spending in the government. When a spending bill is 1000 pages long, what's another couple pages that wastes a few million dollars here and there? And they get passed because if you want the majority of the good in the bill to pass, then you're stuck with accepting the collection of minor evils.

StevenVI
Member #562
July 2000

Quote:

Let's see, what will McCain do for us?
- Waste more time drilling for oil that won't change the price of gasoline.

I don't think that private companies doing things is really hurting the government at all.

Quote:

What about Obama?

What does that have to do with American jobs?

Your bias is obvious. Think for yourself, don't let a guy with a pretty smile think for you.

nonnus29
Member #2,606
August 2002

Quote:

- Invest in cleaner alternative energy infrastructure in the United States.
- Work to make higher education and health care affordable for all Americans.

That's interesting because these are all policy initiatives McCain has cited as well.

1) So are you expecting Obama to replace all cars with electric/hybrid wonder machines that don't exist yet? And put in a Hydrogen infrastructure for fuel cell vehicles that also don't exist yet?

2) All these jobs will come from... building electric cars and hydrogen gas stations? Or solar and wind in the midwest and southwest respectively?

3) What drives the cost of Health care and higher education? Aren't you really saying you think Obama will get the government to pay for it all? Where do you suppose the money will come from?

These are sincere questions...

alethiophile
Member #9,349
December 2007

1. "Cleaner energy infrastructure" means, along with less-polluting cars, less-polluting electricity. If we get large portions of our grid power from solar/wind, the technology for both of which is getting much better and more efficient every day, then it's much more useful to start using plug-in cars, which DO exist, as transportation because the electricity they use will be clean, not from coal. It is more than feasible to start phasing out coal-based electricity; the only reason it hasn't happened yet is because the particular wing of the Republican party that has held the legislative branch for most of the last eight years and the executive branch for all of it is so beholden to the fossil-fuel industry that they will shoot down by any means anything that threatens their (the fossil-fuel industry's) status quo.

2. Well, it'll create R&D jobs for figuring out how to scale alternative energy efficiently. And there will be work to do in the changeover. It might not be a permanent source of jobs, but it can't hurt.

3. I am leery of using tax money for subsidizing everything, but certainly existing programs could be made to operate more efficiently for no more money.

--
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
C++: An octopus made by nailing extra legs onto a dog.
I am the Lightning-Struck Penguin of Doom.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Quote:

Dole beat Clinton in South Dakota. No Democrat has taken the state since 1964. That's the definition of a Republican state. :P

Thomas Harte
Member #33
April 2000

According to my radio this morning, the latest polls show McCain ahead of Obama by five points nationally. Bets please: to what extent is this a temporary post-convention leap, and to what extent a sign that Palin is a popular choice?

nonnus29
Member #2,606
August 2002

Palin has become very popular with conservatives. We'll see how it goes when she starts getting more face time in interviews and debates.

McCain is becoming quiet successful at co-opting Obama's 'Change' message. Say what you will, but he does have a legitimate history of pissing off Republican party leaders.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

The national polls have been within the margin of error for a long time. Nothing really has changed. One poll now shows McCain up by 4. Others still have Obama up by a similar margin. The reality is that it's a statistical tie.

But national polls are not very relevant. There's fewer than ten significant states in the "toss up" category. Those are the only ones that matter.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Quote:

I don't think that private companies doing things is really hurting the government at all.

No, but when the government invests in dead-end energy sources like oil it hurts the country.

Quote:

What does that have to do with American jobs?

The investment will be in American businesses that produce alternative energy along with the equipment to produce it. When you can create more jobs in alternative energy equipment production and sales, along with investing in technical training for American workers to produce and maintain that equipment that's a good thing.

Drilling for more oil won't do squat to reduce our dependence on foreign oil, but investing in alternative energy infrastructure will, along with creating more jobs.

Quote:

Your bias is obvious. Think for yourself, don't let a guy with a pretty smile think for you.

Excuse you? McCain is the only one with the smile of a con man running for president. You should know by now I don't let anyone think for me. I don't trust McCain to have what's best in mind for all of the United States for even a second. He'll cater to big business at the expense of the environment and our country. He'll stifle innovation in favor of the status quo for the rich, and if he wins the seat of presidency our country will stagnate and fall behind even farther for another four years.

Quote:

So are you expecting Obama to replace all cars with electric/hybrid wonder machines that don't exist yet? And put in a Hydrogen infrastructure for fuel cell vehicles that also don't exist yet?

I trust that he'll put money into research, low interest startup loans to build infrastructure and retool car manufacturing plants, along with putting in the necessary infrastructure to support new energy sources.

A train won't do you any good if there's no track for it.

Quote:

2) All these jobs will come from... building electric cars and hydrogen gas stations? Or solar and wind in the midwest and southwest respectively?

Demand for cleaner energy sources and means of travel is increasing around the world. If we can be the ones to provide it effectively, the jobs will be ours.

Quote:

What drives the cost of Health care and higher education? Aren't you really saying you think Obama will get the government to pay for it all? Where do you suppose the money will come from?

I suppose bureaucracy is a large part of it, but I don't know especially. Where will the money come from? I think some of it will be from repealing tax breaks for the wealthy, along with putting the burden of governing Iraq back into their own hands, relieving the costs due of major deployment.

With the wealth of information becoming available on the internet I would hope that the free information would help drive down the costs of education. I look at online schools from time to time but they're often as much as and sometimes more than comparable state universities. I think if disciplines were separated more between online schools rather than many disciplines together it could streamline things and provide higher quality training and less expensive certification.

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

Quote:

So are you expecting Obama to replace all cars with electric/hybrid wonder machines that don't exist yet?

You don't have electric and/or hybrid cars in the US yet?

It sounds a bit like "you can't make more efficient engines" while the rest of the world already has them to me.

nonnus29
Member #2,606
August 2002

Quote:

You don't have electric and/or hybrid cars in the US yet?

Yes, I mispoke, shouldn't have included hybrids. So here is what I was getting at:

1) By simply stating that one candidate will invest in research and creating new cleaner infrastructure and that's a solution is naive. When you're talking about replacing $trillions$ in infrastructure, market forces have to do it. That means alternatives have to be cheap compared to oil. Yes, investment is needed, yes innovation is needed, but that's just the beginning. According to T Boone Pickens, it's a process.

2) About alternative energy creating jobs, again, market forces have to drive it

3) Making higher education affordable and then saying online learning will make education cheaper; um, what planet are you living on? There are a lot of people with a vested interest in keeping education sequestered and expensive (teachers unions, universities, administrators, text book publishers). Anyone can be a self directed learner but at the end of the day you still must have that peice of paper.

Sadly, from what I hear, I don't think either candidate has a better handle on the issues than those commonly presented here.

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

True, the market will need to drive it in the end. However, you need to get things going first, get over the threshold. It's a bit of a chicken and the egg problem: if a product has no use there is no market for it. If there is no market for it there is no reason to make an infrastructure for it. If there is no infrastructure there is no use. Deadlock.
You need to break the deadlock and I don't see free market alone doing that, or at least not doing it quickly.

Now, that's not a statement in favour of either Obama or McCain. I would like to see a left-wing government in the US one day though (and I mean proper left-wing, not so-called democrat left-wing, which is still right-wing). Not for a while...

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

It's a shame that true conservatism seems to have died off in the US. It used to be that conservatives were all for smaller governments & lower taxes but somewhere along the way the GOP got all messed up and lost focus. The Bush administration is responsible for one of the biggest increases in government size, and in my opinion McCain doesn't seem to be talking alot of how he plans to change that.

I'm not saying Canada is any better. It looks like Mr. Harper has called another federal election. Thats like what, the second election in like 2 years? Those things are expensive! The cost of an election was shown to me not too long ago, I forget the figures exactly but man it was alot. Thats pure waste IMO. Canada should enact a system like the States, 4 year terms. That would give the people enough time to see if the government was doing it's job, and give the government enough time to enact some of things it promised. We also need to stop this 'voting for the party crap.' Voting for the leader is much better (once again, MO).

=================================================
Paul whoknows: Why is this thread still open?
Onewing: Because it is a pthread: a thread for me to pee on.

Go to: