Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » WAR in Georgia

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
WAR in Georgia
Thomas Harte
Member #33
April 2000

Quote:

I think Franks got a valid point. If Russia did decide to become expansionist, their military could roll thru Europe, no problem.

What, if you ignore the fact that two countries on the western side of Europe are independent nuclear powers, a further six have nuclear weapons in their borders under the NATO weapons sharing agreement and a country of Russia's size is an incredibly easy target?

EDIT: and obviously you need to watch out for the Swiss army. They look like they're not carrying, but actually they have any of a knife, a corkscrew, a pair of scissors, an implement for removing stones from the feet of horses, a bottle opener or a miniature fork at their near-immediate disposal.

EDIT2: reading this whole thread, is there some sort of confusion amongst the Americans as to who NATO are? The 'A' is for Atlantic, not 'American' — it's the North Atlantic Treaty Organisation. It's an expansion of a Western European treaty organisation formed immediately after WW2 to include members from North America. It's subsequently expanded east to include a whole bunch of countries that are nowhere near the North Atlantic, I think as far east as Turkey, which technically means that it spans three continents since Turkey, like Russia, is Eurasian. The main point of NATO is its mutual defence agreement.

So, if Russia attacks any NATO state then it immediately becomes at war with all of them. Not just the eight countries with nuclear weapons in Europe, but also the wealthy North Americans. It would instantly be at war with a total population an order of magnitude larger than its own, with a much greater arsenal, many times as much wealth and many more friends in the rest of the world. And all that with a decreasing population in both absolute and relative terms.

If you're going to make up imaginary land grab situations involving Russia then I would have thought that some attempt to charge south into Asia (that continent where most of Russia's land actually lies) would be more likely. Tactfully avoiding China, of course.

Russia talks a big game, but it's hardly a superpower. It's a slowly decaying nation that doesn't know what it wants to be politically and is running scared from extreme poverty and irrelevance into the comforting blanket of nationalism and whatever reassurance comes from still having just enough tanks lying around to occasionally go to war with absolutely tiny neighbours.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

You can't really include nuclear weapons in your defense strategy. Essentially if somebody starts shooting them, everyone will likely start shooting them and mankind will likely be destroyed. Everybody has them to deter everybody else from using them.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Quote:

You can't really include nuclear weapons in your defense strategy.

The only deterrent for nuclear war is mutually assured destruction. Assuring that should one country launch, the others will causing full scale destruction. Whats the point of winning with nuclear arms if it decimates the entire planet, or at least the areas you now controll?

edit: which is what you said ::) but basically that IS the defence strategy.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

There are two types of nuclear weapons - tactical and strategical. Tactical shall to be used on the battlefield. Strategic ones are those in underground silos pointing at major cities and strategical targets.

Sadly enough if you use tactical ones, nobody will ensure that strategical ones won't be used.

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

Vanneto
Member #8,643
May 2007

Quote:

Essentially if somebody starts shooting them, everyone will likely start shooting them and mankind will likely be destroyed.

Oh you sick sexist bastard! >:(:-X

In capitalist America bank robs you.

nonnus29
Member #2,606
August 2002

Quote:

If you like to know more read Red Strom Rising, where you can read how it could look like.

Things have changed. Do you recall reading discussions of US removing bases from Europe and/or moving bases from 'old Europe' Germany to 'new Europe' Poland or Czech Rep?

Back in the 80's (when Red Storm Rising was written) the US had 4 combat divisions stationed in Germany: 1st, 2nd, 3rd Armored, and 1st Infantry plus some Brigade Combat teams (11th ACR) That was something like 200,000 troops.

Today? Something like two brigades, or about 10,000 troops.

So if you think the US is ready with a Cold War response to Russian aggression, you're mistaken.

But I think Thomas H. makes a good point, Russia isn't a real threat. But Sweden.... :-X

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

That is why I said it could look like. Sure, the times have changed and situation today is quite different. But then again, if that would hypothetically gonna happen, Europe would change into modern battlefield.

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

Quote:

Hey, you know, maybe we should invade Great-Britain as well and solve the issue of Northern Ireland for them

Come and try if you think you're hard enough. But you do know the NI problem is largely solved don't you?

As for USA intervening, I don't think Georgia are a big enough oil producer for that much support.

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

wii:0356-1384-6687-2022, kart:3308-4806-6002. XBOX:chucklepie

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Quote:

Come and try if you think you're hard enough. But you do know the NI problem is largely solved don't you?

Iran wasn't a problem for the Americans. There were no WMDs, and a letter that they used as proof of links from Iraq to alqueda and whats his face was FORGED by the nsa. It was also an obvious forgery (not only was the main point of it convenient, a couple other convenient bits of false info were included), yet people chose to believe it. If they'll go into Iraq for no real reason, they could easily go into the UK.

And before you claim it was all for the oil, the US is getting NONE of it. It hasn't helped lower the price of oil, or get more into the market, all its done is help raise the price of oil :P. And isn't getting paid back for any of the billions its already spent on the war and rebuild, and given as cash to people. Iraq however has an 80billion budget surplus this year and the PM was giving cash away on the streets at one point. What was the point of the exercise again? :P

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

Quote:

Come and try if you think you're hard enough.

You want us to come and burn you capital down again? :P

Quote:

But you do know the NI problem is largely solved don't you?

How so? It's still part of the UK, isn't it? ;)
Yes, I know it's been very stable for the past few years. However, I heard a couple of weeks ago (on the Irish news, I think) that tensions have started to rise again and are higher than they have been in a while. I don't know, personally I don't see things going wrong anytime soon either.

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

Given we split up northern ireland so the protestants (i.e. british loving side of things) would have the majority, there'll never be complete peace.

As for beating us, I put it 3-1 to England with the loss only due to a minor fire in the capital (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo-Dutch_Wars) ;)

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

wii:0356-1384-6687-2022, kart:3308-4806-6002. XBOX:chucklepie

Thomas Harte
Member #33
April 2000

London's probably due another burning; they lifted the 1666 ban on thatched roofs in London in 1994, I'm sure they're asking for trouble.

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

Quote:

As for beating us, I put it 3-1 to England with the loss only due to a minor fire in the capital (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo-Dutch_Wars) ;)

Err...

Quote:

The first war (1652-1654)
[...]
In the final Battle of Scheveningen on 10 August 1653 Tromp was killed, a blow to Dutch morale, but the English had to end their blockade of the Dutch coast. As both nations were by now exhausted and Cromwell had dissolved the warlike Rump Parliament, ongoing peace negotiations could be brought to fruition, be it after many months of slow diplomatic exchanges.

Draw.
Dutch 0.5 English 0.5

Quote:

The second war (1665-1667)
[...]
However the Raid on the Medway in June 1667 ended the war with a Dutch victory.

Dutch 1.5 English 0.5

Quote:

The third war (1672-1674)
[...]
De Ruyter, gaining four strategic victories against the Anglo-French fleet, prevented invasion. After these failures the English parliament forced Charles to sign peace.

Dutch 2.5 English 0.5

Quote:

The fourth war (1780-1784)
[...]
The Glorious Revolution of 1688 ended the conflict by placing Prince William III of Orange on the English throne as co-ruler with his wife Mary. Though this was in fact a military conflict between England and The Republic, William invading Britain and Ireland with a Dutch fleet and army, it is never described as an Anglo-Dutch war, as he had strong support in England and was partly serving the dynastic interests of his wife.

We'll chalk that one up as a draw too, since although you ended up with a Dutchman on the throne, the bastard wanted to move his entire power base over to England when he became king there.

Just how did you manage to make that 3-1 for England?

Thomas Harte
Member #33
April 2000

Quote:

We'll chalk that one up as a draw too, since although you ended up with a Dutchman on the throne, the wanted to move his entire power base over to England when he became king there.

Technically, when William of Orange came over here there was no Parliament to recognise him as King, and no King to convene a new Parliament. So Parliament just convened themselves, which they can't actually do, making them technically illegitimate. Then they recognised William, but being an illegitimate Parliament, that act was illegitimate too.

So, if they were really strict and petty about it, William was never recognised as King and there have been no legitimate parliaments since 1688. Luckily there is no written constitution, so as long as everyone acts reasonably it usually ends okay. And the whole 1688 ordeal gave rise to the Bill of Rights, which properly established Parliament's freedom from the monarch for the first time and included a few of the good bits of the later international stuff (no taxation without representation, freedom from cruel and unusual punishment, something like a prototype for the ECHR Article 6 right to a trial), albeit it a much more verbose way.

Anyway, I did a quick computer simulation using the default player names of what might happen if Russia went up against NATO (ummm, with me in charge). I discovered that it would end like this:

http://www.allegro.cc/files/attachment/596131

EDIT:

Quote:

Russia has approved a plan intended to end fighting with Georgia, brokered by French President Nicolas Sarkozy.
Mr Sarkozy, whose country holds the EU presidency, is now in Tbilisi trying to persuade Georgians to accept the deal.
Under the plan, both sides would agree not to use force, and all troops would return to the positions they were in before the conflict began last week.

Frank Griffin
Member #7474
July 2006

Nato on paper looks pretty good doesnt it.
There were treaties in place to keep germany from taking territory before WWII and you know what, they were ignored by both sides.
Just let Russia have some breathing room thats all that they ask!

I doubt Europe has the balls to use a nuke. I think if they were nuked they would just suck it up because it would not be worth it to damage the environment any further with a retaliation. I heard it would speed up global warming too so in the name of the planet Europe would cave. England would be the one exception of course.

Dont worry after the USA finishes up in Iraq the USA will issue a mild demand for Russia to free Europe.

BTW I read that part of this is due to oil competition. Some new oil pipe line that was going to compete with russia. An attempt was made to bomb this pipe line, when it is far from any combat zones.

"gut feeling the people in England are poor" -Samuli
"taken out of context it's an awesome quote" - Jonatan Hedborg

nonnus29
Member #2,606
August 2002

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baku-Tbilisi-Ceyhan_pipeline

Interesting, kind of like how the Oil-For-Food corruption, which the Western media didn't report on, motivated Chirac and Putin to lobby against invading Iraq. And you all thought they had the moral high ground? Hardly...

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

@gnolam: Who gave these amateurs guns? They're just blindly spraying over what looks like sandbags, literally swaying the gun back and forth as they squeeze the trigger, as if they have no clue where the enemy is and aren't even interested... It only works to keep heads down if bullets are coming towards those heads. And if only 3 shots are being sprayed in that general direction from a few hundred yards away, odds are they can advance without getting hit. Now I've never been to war myself, but that just looks stupid... Nevermind the fact that they're also standing above the sandbags as if they have no need for cover... So what the fuck are they shooting at? Hopes and dreams?

Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

So Georgia beats Russia! ...in beach volleyball. And the Georgian players live in Brazil. Wait, am I in the wrong thread again? D'oh!

8-)

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

Thomas Harte
Member #33
April 2000

Quote:

Dont worry after the USA finishes up in Iraq the USA will issue a mild demand for Russia to free Europe.

"Mission Accomplished" was declared in 2003, so I guess the USA are long since finished in Iraq? You know, unless the information they've been feeding us has mostly been for political ends.

Also, you underestimate Europe and NATO (see, e.g. the coordinated response to September the 11th — an attack on one member state which meant that all other member states became involved — which goes much deeper than the war in Afghanistan), and as a result overestimate the relative 'strength' of England (which has been part of Great Britain for about 300 years, and the United Kingdom for 200, and hasn't acted unilaterally in war since).

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

Wag the dog? Maybe this was created to distract everyone from the real issue, John Edwards' affair.

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

Frank Griffin
Member #7474
July 2006

I already told you the oil link, so therefore we know there is a link with John Edwards. Have you seen the amount of oil he puts in his hair?

The Iraq war did end in 2003 but keeping the peace continues.

HardTranceFan
Member #7,317
June 2006

Quote:

The Iraq war

A misnomer. It's "The Iraq invasion".

--
"Shame your mind don't shine like your possessions do" - Faithless (I want more part 1)

imaxcs
Member #4,036
November 2003

I find it disturbing that the USA under Bush invaded Iraq, which was a sovereign country. Now he demands that Russia should respect the sovereignty of Georgia. :-/

Frank Griffin
Member #7474
July 2006

Nice liberal talking point yea got there.

Iraq was warned for more than a year about what was brewing.
Iraq broke many UN mandates and sactions.
The USA ended up going into Iraq thus providing the backbone to enfore UN-rules.

This is a bit different from Russia invading Georgia without warning and of course without UN backing.

You should be ashamed of your ignorance.

Go to: