Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » C++ interview preparation:

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
C++ interview preparation:
GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Bah, that Fat Man is jealous of you because you have a better look than him ;-p

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

I hate working with pretentious jerks. At first you might hope it's a show to see how you react. But typically they really do have serious mental problems.

Usually they aren't that talented, and have designed some system with ridiculous limitations. And they want to protect themselves from having the new guy come in and point out an obvious improvement.

The best thing you can do is ignore them, because it infuriates them. I personally like playing the "I'm oblivious to your attitude" card. It's especially fun to do after they rant excessively about some tiny little bug as if the world were coming to an end. Follow up with a pleasantry and a smile, and they blow up.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

Quote:

I personally like playing the "I'm oblivious to your attitude" card. It's especially fun to do after they rant excessively about some tiny little bug as if the world were coming to an end. Follow up with a pleasantry and a smile, and they blow up.

Got a YouTube video? (hope, hope)

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

piccolo
Member #3,163
January 2003

i can picture how every thing went down. when you get hired be careful don't be to aggressive or people with aliences will gang you.

saying the thing was easy was aggressive. you could have used different works.
work is normally 40% work 60% drama. when working with women it 20%:80%.

wow
-------------------------------
i am who you are not am i

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

It's a no-win question. If he says it's easy, then he must explain why he made mistakes, but if he says anything else, then he must explain why he is worthy of the job.

I would go with the first answer. It's easy to explain why I don't care if I make minor code mistakes with pencil and paper. And if they persisted on being jerks about it, I'd kindly offer to give them a test on paper. :P

piccolo
Member #3,163
January 2003

he should have said that he thought the test was well layed out. the test was a good way to test ones skill.

wow

nonnus29
Member #2,606
August 2002

Piccolo makes a good point. I took Matthews view though; I really did think it was easy. Just because I didn't remember how to write a pure virtual function didn't make it less easy.

The more I think about it, the less I want the job; Fat Man was a jerk, the other Architect was on his blackbery for half the interview, and the Director had the communication skills of a 12 year old. Anyway, we'll see. I'd just really like to quit my current though. That would be sweet.

piccolo
Member #3,163
January 2003

most likely the guy that was interviewing you did not know crap about programing so that why he told some one from the programing team to try and test you.(normally they just ask you questions)

and you insulted him in font of the boss. well good thing you said you did not mean it in that way. however that did not fix any thing. thats just going to make him try underground to get you back.

if i was you when i i got the job i would make friends with the fat guy to point the focus some where else.

edit:

Quote:

the Director had the communication skills of a 12 year old.

people don't like to say thing when people that know better are around. if he tried to wig something you and the fat guy would gang him.

wow

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Quote:

if he tried to wig something you and the fat guy would gang him.

Yes, because people often gang up on their employers (or potential employers).

piccolo
Member #3,163
January 2003

Quote:

Yes, because people often gang up on their employers (or potential employers).

when i say gang im talking about make some one look like a fool (belittle them)

That fat guy would probably just smerk and and a joke with you behide the boss's back(he would not correct him and make the boss look dumb)

how ever base on nonnus29 reaction to the hows the test question.

i think nonnus29 would have corrected him if the guy said something wrong.

and that would make the boss look dumb in-front of his employ.

if nonnus29 did correct him the boss would play it off one of 2 ways depending on his personalty.

one would be to make roles apparent by saying something like: "Thats why you guys take care of the programing and i take care of the businesses work."

you guys should get the idea.

wow

Neil Black
Member #7,867
October 2006

Your psycho-analysis of people you've never met, who you only know of through a few lines of text, never ceases to amaze me.

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

That's also know as cannabis second effect. :-X

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

I don't think piccolo is too far off, although I haven't been reading much of the thread.

Go to: