Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Programming Questions » Angular Velocity

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Angular Velocity
Alexander Borgerth
Member #9,165
October 2007

I had a hard time knowing where i'd put this, seing as there is no "math" section here. I guess the Programming Questions would be the most fitting topic.

In any case, anyone here that got any good resources on Angular Velocity, or can explain it works, and how it is used?(PS: I'm not a math genious, so not looking for all to advanced materials)

James Stanley
Member #7,275
May 2006

Maths stuff usually goes in Off-Topic.

I think you need trigonometry, in which case SOH CAH TOA is a good thing to remember. It means Sin(x) = Opposite / Hypotenuse, Cos(x) = Adjacent / Hypotenuse, Tan(x) = Opposite/Adjacent.

This helps with right-angle triangle calculations.
To calculate the new position of a guy with a trajectory of 30 degrees and speed of 10, you would do:

newx = oldx + cos(30) * 10;
newy = oldy + sin(30) * 10;

Jonatan Hedborg
Member #4,886
July 2004

Angular velocity is the rotational speed of an object. It's usually measured in radians/second.

wikipedia to the rescue!

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

Angular velocity just means how fast an object is rotating/spinning. So in the 2D case, it's simply a value to add to the angle of the object in each iteration (assuming Euler integration).

new_angle = old_angle + angular_velocity

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

Thomas Harte
Member #33
April 2000

... and in 3d it's usually a 3d vector, where the direction of the vector indicates the rotational axis, and the length indicates the rotational speed.

Jeff Bernard
Member #6,698
December 2005

Quote:

SOH CAH TOA

I remember that acronym from "some old hippie caught another hippie tripping on acid".

--
I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

Rash
Member #2,374
May 2002

In rigid body mechanics, angular velocity does not necessarily stay constant in the absence of torque.

ImLeftFooted
Member #3,935
October 2003

Jeff Bernard said:

Quote:

SOH CAH TOA

I remember that acronym from "some old hippie caught another hippie tripping on acid".

I always thought of having to "Soak a toe" in something. Like it was cut or something.

James Stanley
Member #7,275
May 2006

Sorry. I assumed angular velocity meant having an object's velocity at an angle...

Go to: