Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Installation, Setup & Configuration » Visual Studio 8 Professional Edition

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Visual Studio 8 Professional Edition
axilmar
Member #1,204
April 2001

I am trying to build a small Allegro app in console in debug mode. I have put the debug crt dlls and manifest file in the application's directory...alld.dll is found, but I got the following error:

application failed to initialize (0xc0150002)

This concerns the Professional Edition of Visual Studio 8, not the Express Edition, so that's why I started a different thread.

I copied all redistributable dlls and manifests in c:\windows\system32, but the result is the same. Does anyone have a solution?

EDIT: I searched this site and google but I could not find anything for this problem.

EDIT: I tried MSVC6 and I still got the same problem.

I tried to put the redist directory in the application's folder, but it did not work as well.

No allegro for me then (until I solve the problem). :(.

Neil Walker
Member #210
April 2000

There really isn't much difference (incremental linking, optimisations aside) between the express version (with the sdk) and the pro version, so the error is in your set up not the IDE.

Have you tried using the setup from the allegro home? the project files for vs2005 and express are the same.

Neil.
MAME Cabinet Blog / AXL LIBRARY (a games framework) / AXL Documentation and Tutorial

wii:0356-1384-6687-2022, kart:3308-4806-6002. XBOX:chucklepie

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

axilmar
Member #1,204
April 2001

Thanks, I did all of the above, but nothing worked!

I can not understand what is wrong with my setup, as everything was freshly installed a few weeks ago, and allegro worked perfectly...

EDIT:

I tried the same at home, with a fresh install of Windows and Visual Studio 2005. It still does not work. I have attached the relevant screen shots.

EDIT 2:

I found why it does not work: the latest all42.dll has a problem. I replaced the DLL with the one from Allegro 4.2.1 and the program run flawlessly.

EDIT 3:

You don't need to put the CRT directory anywhere in order to run a program from within the IDE. I guess you only need to put it when you are distributing the game.

EDIT 4:

What is the reason the pdb file exists in the allegro files? I erased it and I had no problem compiling allegro programs.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

You can easily build 4.2.2 yourself with the project files in the build folder if the pre-built files aren't working. The CRT is only needed for deployment. The PDB is so you can do source code debugging within Allegro.

axilmar
Member #1,204
April 2001

I would have done that if I had some spare time, Matthew. Right now I prefer to get back on Allegro programming, because it has been a loong time since I coded something with it.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

What is the exact version of VS 2005 that you are using? (Help/About)

They were built with Professional Version 8.0.50727.859. My Express version is 8.0.50727.42.

I can confirm that the 4.2.2 binaries don't work on VC++ 2005 Express. (Previous binaries were built with Express.) It looks like I will remove the the MSVC 8 binaries, as Microsoft seems to not carry binary compatibility across extremely minor revisions.

axilmar
Member #1,204
April 2001

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

So there you have it. A brand new, incompatible CRT for the same major version of Visual Studio. :P

Go to: