Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » [Fedora 7 Linux] Can't connect to the Internet (DSL connection)

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3 
[Fedora 7 Linux] Can't connect to the Internet (DSL connection)
bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I'm having trouble connecting to the Internet from my new installation of Fedora 7 (without the Internet, every time I boot into it I feel like I'm diving alone into murky water).

The error that displays says something about /dev/null and points to a line in a script that is commented "TIMED OUT"... ::) I'm thinking perhaps a driver is missing or device isn't recognized? I'm not very experienced with Linux (or hardware) though so I'm basically just lost.

I created an xDSL connection, filled in the login information, and added DNS addresses which I ipconfig'd out of Windows (as prior experience has taught me to do). It's still not working, however. :'( Anybody have any advice/suggestions/solutions? :-/

Anybody else having problems with Fedora 7?

** EDIT **

Removed rant about screen resolution. Apparently I just forgot how to fix it. :):-[

Simon Parzer
Member #3,330
March 2003

Quote:

The error that displays says something about /dev/null and points to a line in a script that is commented "TIMED OUT"... ::)

That's nice. Now we can guess which error it was.

Quote:

I created an xDSL connection, filled in the login information, and added DNS addresses which I ipconfig'd out of Windows (as prior experience has taught me to do). It's still not working, however. :'( Anybody have any advice/suggestions/solutions? :-/

Don't use GUI tools for Linux administration.

Quote:

How frustrating Fedora 7 is being... You'd think for a new release it would handle things BETTER, but so far in my experience it's degraded since Fedora Core 6... ::)

I know many Linux users, but not a single happy Fedora user.

ReyBrujo
January 2001

Are you using PPPoE? Do you have a router between your computer and modem? Is the modem an ethernet or USB one?

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」
Mitsuko's last words, Battle Royale

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Simon Parzer said:

That's nice. Now we can guess which error it was.

IIRC, I believe it pointed me to line 215 in /usr/sbin/adsl-start... :-/ I don't think there was an "error number" concept... :-/ It wasn't very descriptive at all (at least not to me).

IIRC, the output I got was something like the following...

/usr/sbin/adsl-start: line 215: 4868 Terminated $CONNECT "$@" > /dev/null 2 >&1

(I'll go try again and confirm that... :-/)

Simon Parzer said:

Don't use GUI tools for Linux administration.

I try to do everything I can from the command line (at least first so I know how and then which ever is faster; often still the command line). When I started using Linux I tried and tried to figure out how to connect to the Internet from the command line. Eventually, I had to settle for the GUI because I couldn't find anything useful for the command line... :-/ What commands do you use and how? :-/

Simon Parzer said:

I don't have much experience with other distros, but I generally like Fedora. Still being somewhat new to Linux there is the occasional snag, but that's true for every distro I've used. I've had the most success with Fedora.

ReyBrujo said:

Are you using PPPoE?

Yes.

ReyBrujo said:

Do you have a router between your computer and modem?

No.

ReyBrujo said:

Is the modem an ethernet or USB one?

I believe it can be both, but it's connected with Ethernet. :-/???

ReyBrujo
January 2001

Execute ifconfig and check which ethernet port is being checked. Check in /etc/ppp/pppoe.conf that the one listed with ifconfig is the one selected in ETH, and that your USER variable is fine. Also check /etc/ppp/pap-secrets has the right password.

Alternatively, check in /etc/ppp/peers which file contains the data for your DSL provider (it may be called provider or dsl-provider or something like that), it needs to have a line starting with "user" and your username. If so, check that the /etc/ppp/chap-secrets file has the right user and password, and then use pon dsl-provider (or whatever the file inside /etc/ppp/peers was called) to start your connection without Roaring Penguin.

You could also try to connect to your dsl modem (it is usually 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1, 192.168.1.0 or another similar) through a web browser (most ethernet modems have a web GUI to configure certain features).

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」

nonnus29
Member #2,606
August 2002

Quote:

http://www.pclinuxos.com/

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

Quote:

I know many Linux users, but not a single happy Fedora user

I am extremely content with my Fedora 7 installation, so now you know 1 person. 8-) I think Yves uses Fedora too and he seems pretty happy with it.

=================================================
Paul whoknows: Why is this thread still open?
Onewing: Because it is a pthread: a thread for me to pee on.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

I played with CentOS 5. Which was such a heaing pile of shite I can't begin to explain it. And the community support was of absolutely no help, when I commented about a few missing important packages that many servers may happen to need, they told me to complain to RHEL as if they had no responsibility at all for their RHEL fork. So yeah, CentOS 5 && RHEL == shite.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

ReyBrujo
January 2001

CentOS is basically RHEL without the hat, wouldn't surprise me if they kept it as close to the original as possible.

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Isn't CentOS primarily meant for servers? A lot of hosting companies use it... I've had no problems with it.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Quote:

Isn't CentOS primarily meant for servers? A lot of hosting companies use it... I've had no problems with it.

Thats what I was attempting to use it for. But I only tried CentOS 5, which failed miserably for what I wanted to do, and I didn't even attempt CentOS 4, mainly because of the community. Decided to install Debian Etch. Not only did it install faster, it had all the stuff I wanted, and a longer support cycle, which is very desireable in a server. And its not rpm based, which caused me no ends of trouble in CentOS. Apt/dpkg is far superior, and untill rpm5 makes its debut, I can't see rpm or any of its wrappers ever coming close to apt. (yes, even apt-rpm, a chain is only as strong as its weakest link, in this case, rpm.) But I digress.

Also you'll notice I didn't mention CentOS in general, just CentOS 5. I heard good things about CentOS, and realized a little too late that it was CentOS 4 people were talking about, and by then I was way too frustrated after having spent a day or so fighting with CentOS 5.

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

ReyBrujo said:

Execute ifconfig and check which ethernet port is being checked.

If I understand what you asked, then eth0. :-/ (Since the reinstall there is now also a peth0 showing up which apparently has no IPv4 address; only IPv6... :-/)

ReyBrujo said:

Check in /etc/ppp/pppoe.conf that the one listed with ifconfig is the one selected in ETH, and that your USER variable is fine.

No such file.

ReyBrujo said:

Also check /etc/ppp/pap-secrets has the right password.

Affirmative.

ReyBrujo said:

Alternatively, check in /etc/ppp/peers which file contains the data for your DSL provider (it may be called provider or dsl-provider or something like that), it needs to have a line starting with "user" and your username.

No such file.

ReyBrujo said:

If so, check that the /etc/ppp/chap-secrets file has the right user and password, and then use pon dsl-provider (or whatever the file inside /etc/ppp/peers was called) to start your connection without Roaring Penguin.

pon? ???:-/ I had no luck tracking down pon, but since I couldn't find dsl-provider either this step didn't seem too promising...

ReyBrujo said:

You could also try to connect to your dsl modem (it is usually 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1, 192.168.1.0 or another similar) through a web browser (most ethernet modems have a web GUI to configure certain features).

That didn't work, but then it doesn't work in Windows either... :-/

I have reinstalled Fedora 7 and it still refuses to connect to the Internet... :-/ Anybody? ???:'(

BTW, Fedora's desktop user guide appears to introduce Firefox ("the Web") without explaining how first to connect to the Internet... ::)

ReyBrujo
January 2001

Which modem you are using? Usually Google turns the ip and login needed to connect to it. Try executing pppoeconf to configure Roaring Penguin again, or pppconfig if that does not work. As for pon, that is the Debian utilities to turn PPP on and off, on Fedora check which utilities are installed with the ppp package. Alternatively, you can try /etc/init.d/ppp start directly.

I cannot be more specific as I don't use Fedora, just guessing that Roaring Penguin works the same way in both distros.

Also, just in case, note that when I was talking about /etc/ppp/peers, I meant that is a directory, and you should check inside it. Can you do a find etc/ppp and list the results here to see which files you have there?

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I'm not really a hardware/networking expert, but 5.2.3. Multiple NICs and PXE Installation MIGHT be relevant,... :-/ ...but if so I don't know how to fix it. :)

Device Manager said:

Network Adapters

• 1394 Net Adapter

• Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection

• Wireless LAN PCI 802.11 b/g adapter WN5301A

Would each of those be a separate NIC? :-/

ReyBrujo said:

Which modem you are using?

According to the label on the bottom, it's a Siemens SpeedStream 4200 Ethernet/USB ADSL Modem. ;D

ReyBrujo said:

Try executing pppoeconf to configure Roaring Penguin again, or pppconfig if that does not work.

I think this is the first time I've heard of "Roaring Penguin"... :-/ Is pppoeconf the GUI application launched from System->Administration->Network? :-/

ReyBrujo said:

Also, just in case, note that when I was talking about /etc/ppp/peers, I meant that is a directory, and you should check inside it. Can you do a find /etc/ppp and list the results here to see which files you have there?

/etc/ppp

• chap-secrets

• firewall-masq

• firewall-standalone

• ioptions

• ip-down

• ip-down.ipv6to4

• ip-up

• ip-up.ipv6to4

• ipv6-down

• ipv6-up

• options

• pap-secrets

• peers/

• pppoe-server-options

I wrote that down earlier and didn't think it relevant to write down the files in peers/. :( I do remember that each of them ended with /dev/null, which seemed negative. :P None of them were named anything even remotely like provider, though.

ReyBrujo
January 2001

Quote:

I think this is the first time I've heard of "Roaring Penguin"... :-/ Is pppoeconf the GUI application launched from System->Administration->Network?

No, open a console, and type pppoeconf as root. If it exists, it will ask you some questions to configure the connection. If there is no such command, try pppconfig instead. If pppoeconf existed and you could configure it, then try connecting with adsl-start. If you used pppconfig instead, execute /etc/init.d/ppp start

Apparently, you have never configured the interface, that is why you don't have a /etc/ppp/pppoe.conf file. Both pppoeconfig and pppconfig are console applications. Note that the Network thing may be a local-only network (that is what it is in Ubuntu).

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

ReyBrujo said:

Apparently, you have never configured the interface, that is why you don't have a /etc/ppp/pppoe.conf file. Both pppoeconfig and pppconfig are console applications. Note that the Network thing may be a local-only network (that is what it is in Ubuntu).

I used the Network thing in both FC5 and FC6. :-/ IIRC, I did nothing more than what I tried last night to get it to work... I never really understood what was happening though. I was pretty much forced to wing it from the GUI and be thankful when it managed to connect. :)

Hopefully I can make sense of the console apps though because I prefer working from the console. You get a better understanding of what your doing, you can still operate without the desktop, and you usually get more information about errors as well (as well as more explicit control). Thanks. I'll try those tonight. Hopefully I can get somewhere.

:)

** EDIT **

I generally like to have the best comprehension and understanding of what I'm doing as possible so while at work I decided to read up on those console apps a bit in spare time. It lead me to a forum that MIGHT have what I'm looking for (I still plan to go the console route) and is specific to Fedora. Apparently pppoeconf is used in Debian and Ubuntu, but Fedora does it slightly differently: How to connect to internet in Fedora 7. :) Hopefully tonight I can make one of these work. ;D

le_y_mistar
Member #8,251
January 2007

I use primarily Fedora and CentOS, i'm in the process of migrating to CentOS since they have longer support.

-----------------
I'm hell of an awesome guy :)

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Quote:

I use primarily Fedora and CentOS, I'm in the process of migrating to CentOS since they have longer support.

Stick with CentOS 4. 5 is a nightmare.

Or go Debian. It really is superior.

--

Samuel Henderson
Member #3,757
August 2003

Quote:

And thus began the great distro battle of July 2007... ;)

I have decided to run a webserver on my Fedora 7 machine. So far things are going pretty well.

=================================================
Paul whoknows: Why is this thread still open?
Onewing: Because it is a pthread: a thread for me to pee on.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Samuel Henderson said:

I have decided to run a webserver on my Fedora 7 machine. So far things are going pretty well.

I've run a Web server on all my Fedora installations. :D I've just never registered a domain name. ;)

Which reminds me, is there a way to update the DNS record with an updated IP address when you get assigned a new one? At home I have a residential DSL connection whose IP changes every day or so (plus we shut down the computer at night) and I wonder if I registered a domain name would there be an automated process to keep the resolution aware of my current IP or would I have to manually update the information online...? :-/

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Quote:

I have years of experience with Debian and its derivatives (mostly Debian). And every time I tried a RH based distro, it made me switch within a few days. Not counting Mandrake when I used it as a desktop.

When I first tried RH back in the old days, it wouldn't even install. I wasted a ton of dial up time at 0.5KB/s average downloading 1-3 CDs worth of crap.

Quote:

I wonder if I registered a domain name would there be an automated process to keep the resolution aware of my current IP or would I have to manually update the information online...? :-/

Most dynamic DNS services have a client program you run that does it all for you. It'll change your ip for you if it changes.

--

le_y_mistar
Member #8,251
January 2007

Quote:

Stick with CentOS 4. 5 is a nightmare.

Debian is indeed great, but switching from fedora to debian would be waaayyy to much of a change, besides i'm much more familiar with redhat based distros, since i know by heart where every single config is located.

I've had no problems with centos 5, but i'll try centos 4.

Quote:

We've already come to the conclusion that gentoo is the worse enterprisy OS for server.

Quote:

Which reminds me, is there a way to update the DNS record with an updated IP address when you get assigned a new one?

no-ip.org has a linux script that you can run as a cron job, it handles dynamic ips.

-----------------

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Quote:

We've already come to the conclusion that gentoo is the worse enterprisy OS for server.

That doesn't make sense, it isn't an Enterprise OS :P Being Enterprise requires some form of support guarantee, which Gentoo just doesn't have.

--

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Thomas Fjellstrom said:

Most dynamic DNS services have a client program you run that does it all for you. It'll change your ip for you if it changes.

Excellent. :) I was considering writing a script or program to do it myself. Probably better that somebody else has. ;) Do domain name registrars usually offer that kind of software? :-/

And does anybody have advice on domain name registrars? I was considering getting a .com through http://godaddy.com for about $9 USD. I might consider getting a .ca instead if the price was the same or cheaper, but I don't know any other registrars to check with and http://godaddy.com doesn't seem to offer .ca domain names.

le_y_mister said:

no-ip.org has a linux script that you can run as a cron job, it handles dynamic ips.

Is it better to run a script as a cron job or just have a small process monitor the IP? :-/

le_y_mistar
Member #8,251
January 2007

yeah.

well what are the 'official' enterprise OSes out there?

-----------------

1   2   3 

Go to: