1   2 
Ghost Airplanes
ImLeftFooted
Member #3,935
October 2003

Izual
Member #2,756
September 2002

Photoshop, i guess. I'm not aware of any other way to make it :)

Mokkan
Member #4,355
February 2004

It's probably a government conspiracy. ;)

I have no idea what would cause that...

KnightWhoSaysNi
Member #7,339
June 2006

Izual
Member #2,756
September 2002

OMG !!! All buildings went berserk!!! Run everybody!!!

That buildings are dam good :D

HardTranceFan
Member #7,317
June 2006

Was the photographer on drugs?

--
"Shame your mind don't shine like your possessions do" - Faithless (I want more part 1)

Kibiz0r
Member #6,203
September 2005

The airplane might be caused by some sort of refraction in the atmosphere (assuming that these are taken by satellites?) but I'm not sure what's going on with the buildings perspective in the second one... I would like to think that Google would be all professional and stuff, but I can't figure out how that could happen unless someone screwed up.

Edit: Ideas always come after hitting "Submit"... Actually, if the photos they use are wide enough angle, then when they stitch them together, they should all have slightly varying perpsectives. And if the junction of two (or four) photos is particularly busy, then you may come up with something like this! There, I think I solved it.

Sirocco
Member #88
April 2000

I've seen that particular effect on satellite photos before, and always with planes... I can't quite remember what causes the 'ghost' image.

Edit:

Gotcha.

-->
Graphic file formats used to fascinate me, but now I find them rather satanic.

GameCreator
Member #2,541
July 2002

Whatever causes it, it's probably powered by the same thing as the ghost car

Billybob
Member #3,136
January 2003

Quote:

The "blue ghost" double image is actually an artifact of the satellite photo and is due to the motion of the two planes. In fact, if you look closely at cars on highways in satellite photos, you will sometimes see these ghost images for those moving objects as well. The distance of the ghosts from the actual objects is an indicator of speed.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

I remember hearing about special panoramic cameras that had a focal plane shutter, they were sometimes used to take class photos of elementary students. Some pranksters enjoyed sitting on one end, then when they figured the "scan" had passed them, they'd jump off the grandstand, run around behind, and sit on the other end. Then they could point out that they were in the picture "twice", one instance at each end of the picture.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

ImLeftFooted
Member #3,935
October 2003

Will said:

Quote:

The "blue ghost" double image is actually an artifact of the satellite photo and is due to the motion of the two planes. In fact, if you look closely at cars on highways in satellite photos, you will sometimes see these ghost images for those moving objects as well. The distance of the ghosts from the actual objects is an indicator of speed.

Shouldnt the ghost image be in line with the direction of movement then?

Kikaru
Member #7,616
August 2006

Quote:

two planes.

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Quote:

two planes.

Read the article, rather than the snippet that William quoted, and you'd know they were referring to a different image.

Kikaru
Member #7,616
August 2006

Oh. Sorry. :-[

Steve Terry
Member #1,989
March 2002

HardTranceFan
Member #7,317
June 2006

Quote:

Shouldnt the ghost image be in line with the direction of movement then?

There are 2 directions of movement - the plane being photographed, and the plane taking the photograph. If these aren't parallel to each other, the resulting vector is at an angle to both.

Jeroen

--
"Shame your mind don't shine like your possessions do" - Faithless (I want more part 1)

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Quote:

I got one for ya...

I don't see anything special besides a plane.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Billybob
Member #3,136
January 2003

Quote:

There are 2 directions of movement - the plane being photographed, and the plane taking the photograph. If these aren't parallel to each other, the resulting vector is at an angle to both.

plane/satellite

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Least it isn't "motherfucking snakes" on a "motherfucking ghost plane" :o

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

ImLeftFooted
Member #3,935
October 2003

Quote:

Least it isn't "motherfucking snakes" on a "motherfucking ghost plane" :o

Haha. Awesome.

Quote:

Interesting. I suppose that makes sense. Now why does my link have a ghost and this one does not?

link

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Quote:

Now why does my link have a ghost and this one does not?

Perhaps it isn't flying fast enough.

Steve Terry
Member #1,989
March 2002

Quote:

I don't see anything special besides a plane.

... with NO shadow :o :o :o ... really it is just a plane, just like in the other picture ::)

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

This one is funny too:
{"name":"590215","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/1\/9166e2ca33515d4d9c31de29f93ca507.jpg","w":1040,"h":864,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/1\/9166e2ca33515d4d9c31de29f93ca507"}590215

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Evert: Impressive ! Only the shadow is full, the plane seems to have only one wing !

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

1   2 

Go to: