Ghost Airplanes
ImLeftFooted
Izual

Photoshop, i guess. I'm not aware of any other way to make it :)

Mokkan

It's probably a government conspiracy. ;)

I have no idea what would cause that...

KnightWhoSaysNi
Izual

OMG !!! All buildings went berserk!!! Run everybody!!!

That buildings are dam good :D

HardTranceFan

Was the photographer on drugs?

Kibiz0r

The airplane might be caused by some sort of refraction in the atmosphere (assuming that these are taken by satellites?) but I'm not sure what's going on with the buildings perspective in the second one... I would like to think that Google would be all professional and stuff, but I can't figure out how that could happen unless someone screwed up.

Edit: Ideas always come after hitting "Submit"... Actually, if the photos they use are wide enough angle, then when they stitch them together, they should all have slightly varying perpsectives. And if the junction of two (or four) photos is particularly busy, then you may come up with something like this! There, I think I solved it.

Sirocco

I've seen that particular effect on satellite photos before, and always with planes... I can't quite remember what causes the 'ghost' image.

Edit:

Gotcha.

GameCreator

Whatever causes it, it's probably powered by the same thing as the ghost car

Billybob
Quote:

The "blue ghost" double image is actually an artifact of the satellite photo and is due to the motion of the two planes. In fact, if you look closely at cars on highways in satellite photos, you will sometimes see these ghost images for those moving objects as well. The distance of the ghosts from the actual objects is an indicator of speed.

Arthur Kalliokoski

I remember hearing about special panoramic cameras that had a focal plane shutter, they were sometimes used to take class photos of elementary students. Some pranksters enjoyed sitting on one end, then when they figured the "scan" had passed them, they'd jump off the grandstand, run around behind, and sit on the other end. Then they could point out that they were in the picture "twice", one instance at each end of the picture.

ImLeftFooted
Will said:

Quote:

The "blue ghost" double image is actually an artifact of the satellite photo and is due to the motion of the two planes. In fact, if you look closely at cars on highways in satellite photos, you will sometimes see these ghost images for those moving objects as well. The distance of the ghosts from the actual objects is an indicator of speed.

Shouldnt the ghost image be in line with the direction of movement then?

Kikaru
Quote:

two planes.

LennyLen
Quote:

two planes.

Read the article, rather than the snippet that William quoted, and you'd know they were referring to a different image.

Kikaru

Oh. Sorry. :-[

Steve Terry
HardTranceFan
Quote:

Shouldnt the ghost image be in line with the direction of movement then?

There are 2 directions of movement - the plane being photographed, and the plane taking the photograph. If these aren't parallel to each other, the resulting vector is at an angle to both.

Jeroen

Thomas Fjellstrom
Quote:

I got one for ya...

I don't see anything special besides a plane.

Billybob
Quote:

There are 2 directions of movement - the plane being photographed, and the plane taking the photograph. If these aren't parallel to each other, the resulting vector is at an angle to both.

plane/satellite

Thomas Fjellstrom

Least it isn't "motherfucking snakes" on a "motherfucking ghost plane" :o

ImLeftFooted
Quote:

Least it isn't "motherfucking snakes" on a "motherfucking ghost plane" :o

Haha. Awesome.

Quote:

Interesting. I suppose that makes sense. Now why does my link have a ghost and this one does not?

link

LennyLen
Quote:

Now why does my link have a ghost and this one does not?

Perhaps it isn't flying fast enough.

Steve Terry
Quote:

I don't see anything special besides a plane.

... with NO shadow :o :o :o ... really it is just a plane, just like in the other picture ::)

Evert

This one is funny too:
{"name":"590215","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/1\/9166e2ca33515d4d9c31de29f93ca507.jpg","w":1040,"h":864,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/9\/1\/9166e2ca33515d4d9c31de29f93ca507"}590215

GullRaDriel

Evert: Impressive ! Only the shadow is full, the plane seems to have only one wing !

PaperStack

What would be really strange is if there was a composite picture with a building on it, one half under construction and the other half finished. :)

Evert
Quote:

Impressive ! Only the shadow is full, the plane seems to have only one wing !

It is quite funny. I found it by accident when I was looking for airplanes that were in the process of taking off or landing at Schiphol.

HardTranceFan

Then there's the hovering car.

Jeroen

Billybob

I'm sure you've all seen the nude sunbathers.

Steve Terry
Thread #587745. Printed from Allegro.cc