Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » The Depot » [video] Little Gamers : Teh Game

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
[video] Little Gamers : Teh Game
Epsi
Member #5,731
April 2005

I would like to show you all a new video of the "engine" of my new game.

I'm spawning a lot of zombies (that I've designed this week ^^).

I've implemented "gibbage" and headshots (ala GTA where the head fly off and the body spills blood before falling on the ground).

For some mass pwnage :D

- Flash video (6 Mo) (better quality than the xvid one)
- xviD video (5 Mo)

Any comments are welcome :)

As you can see I've followed everyone's advice and changed the mouse aiming to a "soldat-like" mode.

BTW I'm only capturing a part of the window to save some FPS ;) But that should be obvious.

piccolo: "soon all new 2d alegro games will be better. after i finsh my MMRPG. my game will serve as a code reference. so you can understand and grab code from."
piccolo: "just wait until my invetion comes out its going to take the wii to the next leave of game play. it will run sony and microsoft out of busness if i dont let them use it aswell."

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

Looks kinda good, I'm really looking forward to demo. I like the graphics style and the weapon selection + characters look amazing.

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

Trent Gamblin
Member #261
April 2000

Looks good. Nice graphics and a lot of cool weapons.

Vasco Freitas
Member #6,904
February 2006

Very promising. Keep up the good work :)

Felipe Maia
Member #6,190
September 2005

Pretty neat. I envy your graphics. The chainsaw looks way too evil though. You should add a baseball bat as weapon :)
Look forward to it.

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Nice. I like the Chinese Throwing Stars!

valdir salgueiro
Member #7,468
July 2006

those links don't work for me :(

Jonny Cook
Member #4,055
November 2003

I wanna watch! >:(

The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face.

Steve++
Member #1,816
January 2002

Cannot find server >:(

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

The HTML page does not work for me for some reason, but http://picwin.mircscripts.org/LG/zombies.swf works.

relpatseht
Member #5,034
September 2004

My only suggestions would be that you modify the characters limb's so that they are not static as they walk, the feet especially as the sliding seems odd, but swaying arms couldn't hurt, and also that the sword and light saber be a bit more like the chainsaw in that they would impale the zombies rather than merely poke them. That or chop their limb's off.

FMC
Member #4,431
March 2004

Very nice.
But aren't there a bit too many weapons? It's quite hard to implement and balance that huge (if you think most action games have no more than 6) number of weapons

[FMC Studios] - [Caries Field] - [Ctris] - [Pman] - [Chess for allegroites]
Written laws are like spiders' webs, and will, like them, only entangle and hold the poor and weak, while the rich and powerful will easily break through them. -Anacharsis
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Epsi
Member #5,731
April 2005

Sorry the link was down yesterday, a problem with my host.

Quote:

My only suggestions would be that you modify the characters limb's so that they are not static as they walk, the feet especially as the sliding seems odd, but swaying arms couldn't hurt

Definitly no, it's the Little Gamers style, I cannot change that (and I like it for it's simplicity).

Quote:

But aren't there a bit too many weapons? It's quite hard to implement and balance that huge (if you think most action games have no more than 6) number of weapons

Many of them will be only for boss or secret weapons. And I don't think it will be hard to balance :)

piccolo: "soon all new 2d alegro games will be better. after i finsh my MMRPG. my game will serve as a code reference. so you can understand and grab code from."
piccolo: "just wait until my invetion comes out its going to take the wii to the next leave of game play. it will run sony and microsoft out of busness if i dont let them use it aswell."

Epoch
Member #4,737
June 2004

You should keep the gibs around, don't fade them out like that. Probably wouldn't cause any significant lag. Maybe have the characters kick them up as they walk. Possibly implement some kind of physics so they stack. They just seemed kind of... less than over-the-top to me. But maybe sound might help.

Epsi
Member #5,731
April 2005

Quote:

You should keep the gibs around, don't fade them out like that. Probably wouldn't cause any significant lag. Maybe have the characters kick them up as they walk. Possibly implement some kind of physics so they stack. They just seemed kind of... less than over-the-top to me. But maybe sound might help.

Actually I didn't made them disapear at first, but after a while it eats the CPU/FPS when you have a lot (it's not some magic pink bitmap, it's alpha transparency bitmaps, so it's best not to have too much of those on screen).

As it will be fast paced action you won't really notice them anyway :)

Epoch
Member #4,737
June 2004

FBlend?

And maybe just cull them when they've been offscreen for a little while? Or is it just going to be bursts of extremely gorey action, instead of a long running battle kind of situation?

Epsi
Member #5,731
April 2005

gorey action :D

Paladin
Member #6,645
December 2005

Dude that is so tight. I mean, who doesn't want to throw a damn xbox controller at someone? You should be able to throw records like in Shaun of the Dead. That would be awesome. Hahahaha. ;D Very nice graphics by the way dude. Oh, and hey FMC, it shouldn't be too hard to balance. Have you ever played Zombies Ate My Neighbors? They have a ton of weapons in that game. ;)

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Quote:

Definitly no, it's the Little Gamers style, I cannot change that (and I like it for it's simplicity).

Little Gamers doesn't have an animated style; it's a static webcomic.

-Another interpretation.

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Epsi
Member #5,731
April 2005

Quote:

Little Gamers doesn't have an animated style; it's a static webcomic.

I'm talking about the legs ;)

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Um, yes? Why can't they shuffle when he walks?

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

relpatseht
Member #5,034
September 2004

I fail to see how the style of the legs prevents them from being animated while walking. Don't get me wrong, I am all in favor of cutting graphical features and calling it the style of the game or retro, but in this situation, I think the loss of graphical quality is greater than the threshold for that cop out. This is especially true considering the animation of other extremeties (zombies heads bobbing when poked, weapon holding arm moving, etc), making the game look as if leg animation was intended but not yet implemented, thus giving the graphics an incomplete quality.

For a little more constructive criticism, I would suggest (in no particular order) that zombies fall over in the direction opposite of that which they were shot from; throwable weapons stay around a little longer, ie: throwing stars stick in the zombie for a period of time before vanishing and X-Box controllers bounce off and stay on the ground a while; perhaps have zombies fade out rather than disappear all at once; and give some of the larger weapons visible kickback.

That is about all I can think of for improvements for the time being; however, I would like to add that this does appear to be a rather good game, at least from a graphical standpoint.

Epsi
Member #5,731
April 2005

Quote:

I fail to see how the style of the legs prevents them from being animated while walking. Don't get me wrong, I am all in favor of cutting graphical features and calling it the style of the game or retro, but in this situation, I think the loss of graphical quality is greater than the threshold for that cop out. This is especially true considering the animation of other extremeties (zombies heads bobbing when poked, weapon holding arm moving, etc), making the game look as if leg animation was intended but not yet implemented, thus giving the graphics an incomplete quality.

That's true, but LG legs are (I think) harder to animate than the mentionned objects. I'll try to separate the feet and see how it looks once animated anyway, it's worth a try.

Quote:

For a little more constructive criticism, I would suggest (in no particular order) that zombies fall over in the direction opposite of that which they were shot from; throwable weapons stay around a little longer, ie: throwing stars stick in the zombie for a period of time before vanishing and X-Box controllers bounce off and stay on the ground a while; perhaps have zombies fade out rather than disappear all at once; and give some of the larger weapons visible kickback.

Thanks for the feedback, I'll try to add that (characters falling is easy, xbox bouncing too, but weapons "sticking" to another object might be harder to implement)

Edit:
In the meantime, I've designed the desert eagle:

deagleiu4.png

:]

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

Cool I hope this will be a really nasty gun for enemies, muhehehe ;D

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

Epsi
Member #5,731
April 2005

Quote:

Cool I hope this will be a really nasty gun for enemies, muhehehe

Yeah I've added a new death anim just for this gun: exploding heads (à la RE4). ;D

1   2 

Go to: