Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Damn you Starbucks!

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2   3 
Damn you Starbucks!
Onewing
Member #6,152
August 2005

That was interesting...

Paranoid:              High 
Schizoid:              Low 
Schizotypal:           High 
Antisocial:            Low 
Borderline:            Very High 
Histrionic:            High 
Narcissistic:          Moderate 
Avoidant:              Very High 
Dependent:             High 
Obsessive-Compulsive:  High

------------
Solo-Games.org | My Tech Blog: The Digital Helm

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Quote:

The test is a pile of doggy-doo, that's why. An actual psychiatrist would study a patient for weeks, if not months before compiling a personality profile. And they wouldn't ask such rediculous questions.

It's not completely irrelevant, but it's easy to tell what the "right" answer is, and therefore is easy to manipulate. Of course it does not try to determine whether your condition is environment based (something you can change if you try hard enough) or a true mental disease. Obviously the results do not have "scientific" merit; they do, however, give you something to research if you think you are a bit peculiar.

For example, I definitely fit the literal definition of a Schizoid (although I don't consider myself Paranoid or Narcissistic at all, despite what the quiz said), but it is most likely something I brought upon myself by an excessive time spent by myself in front of a computer. ;) As such, I believe I could undo most of the negative traits by forcing myself to spend time doing other things. And it is my opinion that most anti-social computer nerds are much like me in that regard.

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

Personally I despise the idea that wanting to be alone is a mental disorder.

--
Since 2008-Jun-18, democracy in Sweden is dead. | 悪霊退散!悪霊退散!怨霊、物の怪、困った時は ドーマン!セーマン!ドーマン!セーマン! 直ぐに呼びましょう陰陽師レッツゴー!

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Quote:

Personally I despise the idea that wanting to be alone is a mental disorder.

It's not by itself. It's not until you develop irrational "people phobias" that it is something to be concerned about.

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

Sure, but using that site as an example...

Quote:

• Weak interpersonal skills

* Difficulty expressing anger, even when provoked
* "Loner" mentality; avoidance of social situations
* Appear to others as remote, aloof, and unengaged
* Low sexual desire
* Unresponsive to praise or criticism

None of these are really indicative of anything irrational. You can show each of these behaviours, all for rational and perfectly healthy reasons; yet the test would make you out to be severely schizoid. :P

Of course, I'm sure the profession at large realizes this. I'm just saying about the site.

--
Since 2008-Jun-18, democracy in Sweden is dead. | 悪霊退散!悪霊退散!怨霊、物の怪、困った時は ドーマン!セーマン!ドーマン!セーマン! 直ぐに呼びましょう陰陽師レッツゴー!

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Quote:

Of course, I'm sure the profession at large realizes this. I'm just saying about the site.

Yes, and I agree. This particular quiz is just looking for symptoms and not looking for causes. Nor does it determine exactly how severe the symptoms are. The quiz is really nothing more than going through each of the listed conditions and checkmarking which symptoms you have.

kentl
Member #2,905
November 2002

I don't believe that much in the test, perhaps it can tell something about a person.

Dennis
Member #1,090
July 2003

Disorder:             Rating
Paranoid:             edited
Schizoid:             edited
Schizotypal:          edited
Antisocial:           edited
Borderline:           edited
Histrionic:           edited
Narcissistic:         edited
Avoidant:             edited
Dependent:            edited
Obsessive-Compulsive: edited

(edited: on second thought, i dislike the idea of showing that to anyone)
Is that test some sort of competition on whose brain was in the heat the longest?
Damn, i answered all the questions honestly but i can't see anything wrong with me aside from being unemployed and spending 15 hours a day in front of the computer, checking a.cc and other sites every so and so many minutes and yeah, talking about me again(like i seem to do very often)... i have answered yes to all those "seek attention" questions.

Quote:

Don't worry; 95% of the people here probably have Asperger or some form of a social disorder.

What? It's society that has a social disorder, not we here.

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

I'm not schizophrenic... and I'm not either.

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

Inphernic
Member #1,111
March 2001

Disorder:             Rating
Paranoid:             NA
Schizoid:             NA
Schizotypal:          NA
Antisocial:           NA
Borderline:           NA
Histrionic:           NA
Narcissistic:         NA
Avoidant:             NA
Dependent:            NA
Obsessive-Compulsive: NA

wearetheborg
Queen of the Universe
June 2003

Paranoid: Low
Schizoid: Low
Schizotypal: Low
Antisocial: Low
Borderline: Moderate
Histrionic: Moderate
Narcissistic: Moderate
Avoidant: Low
Dependent: Moderate
Obsessive-Compulsive: Moderate

ngiacomelli
Member #5,114
October 2004

Those tests are a joke. Probably designed by a collective of teenagers in a move to self-diagnose themselves with numerous disorders to appear 'deep and meaningful'.

nonnus29
Member #2,606
August 2002

Quote:

Actually, yes, since I have being diagnosed with Asperger's. I don't have a severe case, which is both good and bad. Good in that I have been able to adapt to it over the years, and have been able to learn, through observation, the social skills that most people would take for granted.
as you've gone through your entire life being aware that you were somehow 'different' from others in some way that you can't explain. For myself, and others I've talked to in the same situation, you often become more lonely in the company of others than when you are on your own.

I read this and I thought; yeah he get's it! That's exactly how I am! Thanks for sharing your experience LennyLen. And thanks for the links.

Billybob
Member #3,136
January 2003

Quote:

What? It's society that has a social disorder, not we here.

I find that that statement is more true than one might think.

These definitions of disorders and diseases are a bunch of nonsense. A person isn't like a machine or program where you can easily identify something as a bug. A person is a human being with their own personality traits, own biological structure, etc.

I think for the most part it's entirely up to the person to decide for themselves what they want to be. If they don't like the way they're acting they can choose to go seek "treatment". But no one else should say they have to act one way or another, nor consider them sub-human.

Right then, moving on. Lenny, how about this. Establish a new pattern while following the same old pattern. If I were in your shoes I'd start listening to music while I go to the cafe to get a drink. Then when the cafe shuts down you can fall back to your new ritual. That way the loss of the full ritual won't be as severe.
It isn't a perfect solution, but better than nothing. And you've got about a month to establish this new ritual, right? That should be enough.

You could also rally people together and attempt to save the cafe. Explain to people how much you would hate to see this cafe disappear, since you really enjoy their coffee. Get them dedicated to going there.
That or spread exciting rumors about the cafe. Like how [insert celebrity] goes there regularly. Or how [insert type of specific coffee] from there cures cancer.
;) Yup, quite devious.

BAF
Member #2,981
December 2002

Quote:

Don't worry; 95% of the people here probably have Asperger

I was diagnosed a few years ago with Aspergers but my symptoms of it are decreasing (mostly because I overcame the mental block I had had on being social and being paranoid of trying new things and forced myself to, that and my parents forced me to do thinks I was deathly afraid of doing). Now I'm not usually too anxious to try new things.

Paranoid: Low
Schizoid: Moderate
Schizotypal: Moderate
Antisocial: Low
Borderline: Low
Histrionic: High
Narcissistic: Moderate
Avoidant: Low
Dependent: Low
Obsessive-Compulsive: Moderate

I don't agree with that test 100% - I am not Histrionic for example. I am not easily influenced by others and such... maybe I messed up a question on that test?

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Matthew Leverton said:

This particular quiz is just looking for symptoms and not looking for causes.

The real problem with trying to daignose mental disorders from symptoms is that most disorders share common symptoms. Also when you ignore the types of disorders that have purely psychological grounds - usually depression, post-traumatic stress disorder or specific phobias - and look at cases where there is an underlying medical condition, whether it be chemical or caused by brain damage, you often find more than one type of disorder. The Personality Disorder test fails to take this into account.

As Matthew has always pointed out, it does not take into account the causes of behavioural patterns. Take for example the question 'Do you prefer to be alone rather than in the company of others?' There are several reasons why one might answer yes to this question: a) the person might well be schizoid, and they simply like being alone. b) the person may have Asperger's, and while they want to be social, attempts to integrate with others (or rather the failure of such events), can cause so much anxiety that it is easier to be alone. c) feeling isloated, which can occur with many disorders - since you know you are different - mean that you feel more alone around others then when you are on your own (you need to differentiate the difference between being on your own and being 'alone'), so it becomes more 'pleasant' to be alone. Ecept for the first example (the schizoid individual), everyone else would be deemed, by that test, to simply have an 'avoidant personality disorder'. This label is simply too broad to be of any use.

Similarly the question 'Do you have intense feelings of inadequacy and helplessness?'... this is a symptom of Social Phobia and Depression as well as most eating disorders, where the underlying condition is one of distorted personal image. It is very hard to pinpoint a specific personality trait that causes these fellings. As an example, consider two anorexic patients. The first, was originally obese, and had no lifetime or genetic history of mental disorder. However constant taunting about her (I'm using the female gender for this example as anorexia occurs almost exclusively in women, though it would make no difference if the individual was male) weight becomes too much and she becomes depressed, which when it is not picked up and she starts obsessing on the object of her depression she transitions into fullblown Anorexia. The second patient has a genetic history of psychosis, and as she undergoes the hormonal shifts that occur when we pass from adolecence into adulthood, she develops chemical imbalances and loses her ability to grasp reality and rationalize her thaughts. She starts to (with no reason whatsoever) perceive herself as a demonic amorphous blob, while all around her others are transformed into angelic waifs. As her psychosis deepens, she sees herself more and more as societies antagonist, and in an attempt to redeem herself she vows she will shed her demonic form and revert to the angelic form she once was. She meticulously tests every type of food to determine what is holy and what is forsaken. Eventually she decides that only drinking holy water can shed away the fat and sve her. Every minute of waking day is devoted to weighing herself to see how much of the demon she has exercised. She is now not only psychotic, she is also anorexic. Both women eventually die, essentially from self inflicted starvation. At this point what does it matter what 'personality type' they had?

nonnus29 said:

I read this and I thought; yeah he get's it! That's exactly how I am! Thanks for sharing your experience LennyLen. And thanks for the links.

I'm glad my experiences can be of help to others. Even if you eventually decide that no, that's not exactly how you are, self examination is rarely a bad thing, so long as you can do so objectively.

William Heatly said:

These definitions of disorders and diseases are a bunch of nonsense.

The clinical term 'disorder' is often misunderstood. Take just about any human being and give them a list of the symptoms of Anxiety Disorder or Attention Deficit and Hyperactivity Disorder, and they will be able to identify with most of the symptoms. We are all at some time in our lives moody, or easily distracted, or worried about something irrational. Usally this is caused by things such as fatigue, side effects of drugs - whether recreational or pharmaceutical, a sequence of incidents that are purely bad luck, work related stresses (eg. half the plant is going to be laid off, is it me?), etc. Simply having these symptoms does not mean you have a disorder.

It is considered a disorder when it can be clearly shown that there has been a continual and detrimental effect in two of the three following areas: Social Life, Work Life and Home Life.

Quote:

But no one else should say they have to act one way or another, nor consider them sub-human.

I agree with this for the majority of cases. The exception of course is when the individual has become delusional and fails to see that their actions are harming themselves or others. Manic people for example often start exhibiting the behavioural patterns of small children. It's all about instant gratification as well as a desire to be 'free'. They will give up their jobs, walk out on their spouces; their children, simply to be the perosn they want to be NOW, with no consideration for the future. Anyone who tries to point out the fallicies in their thinking is simply trying to bring them down; stop them from being free; and to hell with that. As terrible as it may seem to them, the only real things the people who love this individual can do are either watch them spiral into self-destruction or have them commited against their will to a psychiatric facility, where they can be medicated and rehabilitated. Hopefully.

Quote:

Establish a new pattern while following the same old pattern. If I were in your shoes I'd start listening to music while I go to the cafe to get a drink. Then when the cafe shuts down you can fall back to your new ritual. That way the loss of the full ritual won't be as severe.
It isn't a perfect solution, but better than nothing. And you've got about a month to establish this new ritual, right? That should be enough.

This is another very good idea. Anyone wanna contribute to the 'Buy lennyLen an iPod' fund? Sadly my venerable portable CD player, which I've had since 1992, and have had to resucitate after several deaths already has finally died completely and it's beyond my abilities to repair. I'd much prefer an MP3 player though, as I have only about 20 CDs left that work, and about 5,300 MP3s on my PC.

BAF said:

I was diagnosed a few years ago with Aspergers but my symptoms of it are decreasing (mostly because I overcame the mental block I had had on being social and being paranoid of trying new things and forced myself to, that and my parents forced me to do thinks I was deathly afraid of doing). Now I'm not usually too anxious to try new things.

Based purely on the above paragraph, that sounds more like Social Phobia than Asperger's. People with Asperger's (which I'll refer to in future as Aspies) usually have Social Phobia, but for very good reasons.

The 'symptoms' of Asperger's simply do not lessen, they are there for life. Aspies simply have to learn how to make up for their deficiencies. Luckily, most Aspies are very intelligent and observant, so learning the social skills that most people have instinctively, isn't too much of a problem.

There is no 'mental block' to being social which can be overcome for Aspies. In fact, most Aspies have a great desire to be social beings. Unfortunately, they simply do not have the mental faculty for it. It's like being born without a visual cortex - you can learn to live without sight, but you're blind for life (I'm ignoring technology here).

Aspies also have no anxiety associated with trying new things (unless they have developed Social Phobia). At least not more than anyone else would.

The following passages, which I copied from here descibe what Asperger's is very well:

Quote:

Individuals with AS show deviations or abnormalities in three main areas of development: social skills, communication, and odd behavioral characteristics (Bonnet & Gao). They have deficits in fine and gross motor skills, visual motor integration, visual-spatial perception, nonverbal concept formation, and visual memory (Forrest). Language skills are usually normal (Klin, Volkmar and Sparrow, 2000). Asperger's may also be characterized by a strong desire for perfection, a special interest or talent, a fondness for routine, poor coordination, high cognitive skills, low organizational skills, and uneven processing of sensory input--being more or less sensitive than most. AS individuals show serious deficiencies in social and communication skills. They often have obsessive repetitive routines and preoccupations with a particular subject. Although they're intelligent and capable, they tend to be naïve, and are often perceived as odd by their peers. As children, they were often a target for bullying.

Social Relations

Although Aspies use language to communicate, they have poor social and pragmatic skills. AS Adults might avoid eye contact, misunderstand instructions, dress oddly, lack good personal hygiene, or talk about seemingly irrelevant subjects. They view the world differently. Some social behaviors, like using appropriate tone of voice or facial expression, are beyond them. They tend to see the world in black and white and may have difficulty carrying over what they learn in one situation to another. Indeed, they may seem to lack common sense.

Aspies may have inappropriate responses to stress. For example, they may laugh when another person is crying. The often have problems following directions related to physical movements, and have sensory integration problems that prompt strong, unusual responses to touch, smell, sound, taste, and visual stimulation.

Motor Issues

Many individuals with Asperger Disorder are clumsy. This includes both fine and gross motor skills. (M. Ghaziuddin, Butler, Tsai, & N. Ghaziuddin, 1994).

Verbal skills

According to the DSM definition, Aspies must exhibit normal to superior language development. In spite of this, some problems with communication do exist. They tend to be very literal and want to talk only about their narrow interests. ASer's often have unusual verbal prosody. They have problems controlling or being aware of intonation, inflection, rate, and tone. They can have a stilted, formal manner of speaking, and sometimes exhibit "telegraphic speech" -- abbreviated speech in which words not essential to the meaning of a sentence are omitted. Sometimes their unusually loud, high or monotonous voice can be annoying to others.

Odd Behaviors

Asperger Syndrome is characterized by repetitive motor mannerisms, obsessive interests, and rigidity. Frequently, ASers have a tendency to rock, fidget or pace. They have a limited but intense range of interests, and often become fixated on one subject or object. They may be very inflexible about specific routines or rituals. They can be overly sensitive to loud sounds, lights or odors.

manjula
Member #3,569
June 2003

A useful and easy read on Asperger's from the perspective of a 13 year old boy with AS. It's great for professionals and parents dealing with children/teens with AS but it's excellent source of education for the general public as well.

Freaks, Geeks and Asperger Syndrome: A User Guide to Adolescence by Luke Jackson

Luke Jackson has also written another book on the merits of a gluten free and casein free diet which apparently improve symptoms of developmental disorders such as ADHD, autism and AS.

A User Guide to the GF/CF Diet for Autism, Asperger Syndrome and AD/HD by Luke Jackson

Billybob
Member #3,136
January 2003

Quote:

This is another very good idea. Anyone wanna contribute to the 'Buy lennyLen an iPod' fund? Sadly my venerable portable CD player, which I've had since 1992, and have had to resucitate after several deaths already has finally died completely and it's beyond my abilities to repair. I'd much prefer an MP3 player though, as I have only about 20 CDs left that work, and about 5,300 MP3s on my PC.

If you can't get an iPod, here's some options:
Get a broken iPod. Usually the battery has died, and people put them up on eBay or another place for cheap. You can buy that, buy a replacement battery, and you're set.
$20-$50

Get a cheap MP3 player. If you don't care too much about audio quality (especially on cheap earbuds) you can get 512 minutes of audio out of a 512mb MP3 player made in China or Taiwan ;)

Get a CD-MP3 player. A CD player which will play MP3s off the CDs. That way you can burn your MP3s to a CD.
$40+

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

Thanks William for those suggestions. I'll look in to them, though the price of electronic equipment in New Zealand is quite high compared to other countries. I did actually look at CD-MP3 players, and the cheapest one I could find here was about NZ$130 (US$80).

And now for a PUBLIC ANNOUNCEMENT!

I've received a few emails and PMs regarding the subject matter of this thread offering me supporti n my 'situation'. While I am very grateful for these gestures, they are actually quite unfounded. The purpose of my original post was not to find help for the current problem, but to vent my frustaration at Starbucks. I inadvertantly however made the situation sound worse in that post than what it really is.

So the reality of the situation is this: I am not distressed or depressed about my life. I can asusre you that I am probaly a lot more content with my life than most people on this planet. even my frustration towards Starbucks has subsided. I simply don't see the point in holding on to anger and frustration.

The original post also made it seem like it is impossible for me to do certain things on my own, and this is not the case. I have enough control over my phobias that I can if I have to enter what would be my worst case situation. Doing so would hovever still cause anxiety severe enough to cause me physical discomfort, but I can manage this. The point of the routines I have and doing things with compnay is not to allow me to do things at all, but to allow me to do them without the discomfort.

I also want to make it known that I don't consider having Asperger's to be a bad thing. While I do wish I'd had it diagnosed as a child (difficult since it wasn't recognised as a condition then) so that I could possibly have avoided the Anxiety Disorder - which is a Royal Pain - I'd honestly rather have Asperger's than be 'normal'. While there are negative aspects of Asperger's, these are easily alleviated, and there are some real positive aspects to having Asperger's that I wouldn't give up for anything.

PUBLIC ANNOUNCEMENT ends

Billybob
Member #3,136
January 2003

Yeah, stupid Starbucks.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

miran said:

I have no idea how I could be paranoid. I gave the exact opposite answers to all the relevant questions as I think a paranoid person would

Which is exactly what a paranoid person would do... ;D

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

manjula
Member #3,569
June 2003

lololol @sympathy for AS

AS is often considered to be a gift rather than a curse. Attempting to "cure" AS is actually quite insulting to individuals with AS since it is part of their personality and who they are.

I think the more important issue would be to recognize it early in childhood that so that "aspies" can have methods to cope. Another issue is to educate the "normal" children/people as well as educators.

jhuuskon
Member #302
April 2000

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

That page was written just to get a rise out of people wasn't it? Just like most of Yves and co's OT posts? Seems to be written with the same degree of intelligence.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

jhuuskon
Member #302
April 2000

I'm saying that if people think they're not exactly normal in the upstairs department, maybe they should got to a doctor for having their heads checked up instead of assuming what they've self-diagnosed themselves to be true and proceeding to take it for a fact.

You don't deserve my sig.

1   2   3 

Go to: