Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Mac browers

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Mac browers
superstar4410
Member #926
January 2001

Does anyone know where I can download a free (Non IE) brower for a mac. The mac that my friend has is using the default mac internet explorer browser. There is ths one site the want to access but some of the components aren't loading up properly. So I'm thinking its the browser since the site works on my labtop pc which uses avant browser(IE). I checked download.com but but all the software I see for browsers are listed for microsoft OSs.

Thanks

Don't take yourself too seriously, but do take your responsibilities very seriously.

HoHo
Member #4,534
April 2004

Gnatinator
Member #2,330
May 2002

OSX should come with the safari browser. Maybe that was implemented in a later version though. :P

superstar4410
Member #926
January 2001

Cool, thanks

Don't take yourself too seriously, but do take your responsibilities very seriously.

Thomas Harte
Member #33
April 2000

There are also unofficial Mac OS Classic ports of Mozilla If your friend is behind the times!

Peter Hull
Member #1,136
March 2001

Camino is very good; I use it when Safari doesn't work (not all sites support it, e.g. gmail). It's based on Mozilla but with a Cocoa UI. IE for Mac is definitely a load of rubbish.

Or are you talking about OS9 or earlier? In which case an old Netscape should be fine, if you can find one.

Pete

superstar4410
Member #926
January 2001

I tired firefox and I got an error from the site (pop up) telling me that you need to use internet explorer to view the site. So I tired downloading the new IE for macs from CNET. It was a .dmg file.
I burned it to a cd and tired it on the mac computer and the mac dosen't know what program to use you open the .dmg file. It dosen't have that file type registered, what am I to do.

Thanks

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

you should beable to tell firefox to "identify" as IE. most IE only sites only check the User-Agent header.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Number Six
Member #3,912
October 2003

You really need to tell us what version of the Mac OS your friend is using! Is it Mac OS X? If so there should be no need to burn a .dmg file to a cd, you can just double click it and it should appear in the finder as a drive, you can then open it and run or copy whatever is in there!

Er! See Thomas' post below, he knows what he's talking about!!!

If your friend has Mac OS 9 or earlier... well give him my sympathies.

---------------------------------------
By Hook or by Crook.... We WILL!

Thomas Harte
Member #33
April 2000

DMG files are disc images produced by Disk Copy 10. Standard install method for modern Mac OS X software is to open a DMG & drag the application icon to the desktop. Standard uninstall is to drag the icon to the trash. Windows users: doesn't that sound easy?

Disk Copy 10 is a standard part of Mac OS X and always has been, so if your Mac doesn't recognise a DMG then it doesn't sound like a very modern machine. See http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=75098 (although the links to older Disk Copy distributions for Mac OS Classic seem to be broken and won't help you anyway).

Solution is to get a Mac OS Classic compatible browser in a Mac OS Classic compatible distribution! I've already posted links for Mozilla, and anecdotal Googling seems to imply there is no newer IE than 5.2 for that platform.

superstar4410
Member #926
January 2001

thanks, tomorrow I'll check out what version my friend is running.

Go to: