Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » The Depot » Demo of PainTown - please test

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Demo of PainTown - please test
kazzmir
Member #1,786
December 2001

I showed some screenshots of my side-scrolling beatem up game a week or two ago and now there is finally a demo for download.
[url http://www.ccs.neu.edu/~workmin/paintown.zip]
Obligitory screenshot:
http://www.rafkind.com/jon/computers/images/bor4.jpg

For some reason the game gets a few signals that will crash the game outside of gdb. The game will run fine every 1/4 runs, but those other 3 times if you arent running gdb it will just die. If you are in gdb, just continue and it should work ok. Im not sure what cuases these signals, either pthreads for windows or maybe just a bug in my code but the game works perfectly fine in linux so I dunno.

So if you can get the game to work, here are the controls:
A - attack
S - super attack
Space - Jump
Left, Right, Up, Down - move all around

Right + Right + A = combo
A + A + A = 3 hit combo

The game was made in Linux, runs fine in Linux, and the sourcecode is all in CVS on sourceforge. If you really care to build it yourself, for right now, goto http://www.sf.net/projects/paintown and checkout CVS. I will make a real linux package later on. It has some whacky dependencies, so I wont feel bad if you give up :p. You still need to download the zip file becuase that has all the data files.

Im betting the game will crash for 99% of the people on the first try, but just keep trying. It will work after a few times.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

-s-spsps-pepepeeeewwwwwww BOOM!

windows me
1.3 Ghz
128MB ram

[e] ok, I take back my somewhat cynical comment :-*. After running trying to run the 2nd time, the game ran fine and smoothly. I'm very impressed!

(insert usual praising good comments here)

the game needs original graphics, that's my only beef. I would also like a fullscreen option, and, uh... yeah, joystick support.

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

kazzmir
Member #1,786
December 2001

Oh yea, you can get fullscreen by adding '-w' switch. Only if you are brave though, if it crashes theres no telling what your desktop will look like after.

Joystick support.. yea..

The graphics came directly from [url http://senileteam.segaforums.com/bor.php] and actually my game was supposed to be an exact clone of it. I eventually decided to change some code around but I have no other graphics. If you or anyone would like to make graphics, please do so!

FMC
Member #4,431
March 2004

uhm refuses to run for me :(

I get the first "Loading Data" screen and then it always crashes.

WinXP Home SP1

[FMC Studios] - [Caries Field] - [Ctris] - [Pman] - [Chess for allegroites]
Written laws are like spiders' webs, and will, like them, only entangle and hold the poor and weak, while the rich and powerful will easily break through them. -Anacharsis
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Billybob
Member #3,136
January 2003

Ditto

razor
Member #2,256
April 2002

Hmmmmm...
Win XP SP2
Crashed, then I set it into win98 compatiblity mode and it ran. Then when I died it crashed.

EDIT: and now it just won't run.

Whoooo Oregon State University

Marco Radaelli
Member #3,028
December 2002

Quote:

uhm refuses to run for me :(

I get the first "Loading Data" screen and then it always crashes.

WinXP Home SP1

Same for me the first time

Quote:

then I set it into win98 compatiblity mode and it ran

I set it to Win95 ;D and it worked but when I died it simply showed enemies in idle position, I had to press ESC and then crashed.

kazzmir
Member #1,786
December 2001

Did the game crash every time you guys played? How many times did you try? It usually works for me by the 5th try. Ill work on fixing the crash though..

FMC
Member #4,431
March 2004

Without compatibility mode it always crashes.

Marco said:

I set it to Win95 and it worked but when I died it simply showed enemies in idle position, I had to press ESC and then crashed.

Ditto but it exited cleanly for me.

As for the game it's very similar to the game you are trying to clone (i spent quite some time with BOR) - good work :)

[FMC Studios] - [Caries Field] - [Ctris] - [Pman] - [Chess for allegroites]
Written laws are like spiders' webs, and will, like them, only entangle and hold the poor and weak, while the rich and powerful will easily break through them. -Anacharsis
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

kazzmir
Member #1,786
December 2001

Ok there was a very silly bug that was messing up some memory. I fixed the bug and the game works fine for me.

So just points to mention again, the game starts in windowed mode. If you want fullscreen, add '-w' as a command line argument.

When you die, the game doesnt end. Hit ESC to quit. Sorry for the inconvience :/

Billybob
Member #3,136
January 2003

Works now!
I'm not a fan of this game style, but I think it plays good and looks good.

Eradicor
Member #2,992
December 2002

Nice Gfx.. tho i dont like the enemy units gfx.

| Visit The site |
{Creating realms from dreams since 1995}

kentl
Member #2,905
November 2002

Nice

umperio
Member #3,474
April 2003

ReyBrujo
January 2001

Indeed, the game works perfectly for me. Windows 2000, 1gb RAM, P4 2.8Ghz. I love the power the character has. The smoke has a wonderful animation. I only hate that the girls can stop your power with that kick they have.

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」
Mitsuko's last words, Battle Royale

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

Works fine on laptop 500 MHz and 128MB RAM with "Chicago" (win 98), great game.

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

Go to: