Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Game Design & Concepts » how important is multiplayer?

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
how important is multiplayer?
Angry Badger
Member #4,665
May 2004

Im actually attempting to make a game that i'm thinking about selling as shareware... and i began to think.. what would make this 2D action-shooting RPG game stick out at all? Even if it had a good storyline, ti would die out with boredom or something.

then i thought... multiplayer -- thats why games such as everquest, diablo, etc. have survive so long..

so my question is (more to people that may have done shareware games) .. how important is it to have deathmatch or co-opertive play in your game.. does it have much of an effect on how many people may register/purchase your game?

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Depends on the genre. Multiplayer is definitely a good way to prolong a game's replay value. Which also increases its worth, which makes it more likely someone will buy your game. :)

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Richard Phipps
Member #1,632
November 2001

IS everyone and his dog doing shareware games now?

Back, back I say! 8-)

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

yea, I noticed that too... ::)

wouldn't that be cool, though if allegro.cc became known as a profitable community? :-/

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Krzysztof Kluczek
Member #4,191
January 2004

I'm not going to make any sharewares at the moment and I'm not planning to do any. Knowing that somebody plays what I made will be enough for me. :)

Anyway, I'm not against programmers who are making money on games, because everybody has to make money some way. Sad but true. :P

Let the Open Source be with you! ;)

Ontopic: Multiplayer is important, but probably it isn't essential for RPG being successful since probably gamers are more used to deathmatches than cooperative modes (although it would of course add to game play value). I'd rather pay more attention to make game as much modable as possible (and easily modable) and strongly encourage people to submit their creations. Many additional maps and quests should be another good reason for buying a game. :)

Kitty Cat
Member #2,815
October 2002

Quote:

I'm not going to make any sharewares at the moment and I'm not planning to do any. Knowing that somebody plays what I made will be enough for me. :)

Anyway, I'm not against programmers who are making money on games, because everybody has to make money some way. Sad but true. :P

Let the Open Source be with you! ;)

My thoughts exactly. :) Granted, I may ask for donations, or maybe non-cripple, no-nag shareware, but the full thing will be available for free.

--
"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will pee on your computer." -- Bruce Graham

Torbjörn Josefsson
Member #1,048
September 2000

It might be because people's Sekrit Projekts are finally nearing completion, and we'll be damned if we're not gonna force some recognition from people through them :)

--
Specialization is for insects

ReyBrujo
January 2001

Multiplayer is actually the best way of not programming a good AI :) It is a very good mode to give a player new challenges. If your game has not good AI, you should allow a multiplayer (if suitable) option. If your game has very good AI, which could give a good player quite a lot of work to win the game, multiplayer can be used as a practice mode between friends.

--
RB
光子「あたしただ…奪う側に回ろうと思っただけよ」
Mitsuko's last words, Battle Royale

Sirocco
Member #88
April 2000

For myself, unless the game is specifically designed to be primarily a multiplayer experience, I want to see the strongest possible gameplay for single player mode(s), then you can worry about multiplayer. There are times when I have friends over, and there are times when I've got a fast net connection, and then there are times when I'm sitting along in a hotel room with nothing but my laptop, and those are the times when I want to know I can fully enjoy a game all by myself :)

For me, multiplayer can enhance a good game, but by itself it won't save a crappy game. I'd rather see developers concentrate on the core game, and throw in multiplayer if their time/budget warrants it.

Edit:

And I really, really, really, REALLY HATE games that allow for multiplayer modes, but are too lazy to program any bots, thus forcing you to have friends over just to play.

-->
Graphic file formats used to fascinate me, but now I find them rather satanic.

rockslave
Member #873
January 2001

"Multiplayer is actually the best way of not programming a good AI"
ReyBrujo

HUAHAUAHUAHUAH.

Sorry. I had to quote that.

Angry Badger
Member #4,665
May 2004

well, the imporatnat thign about mutliplayer, when doing AI and story modes and all that is that when you start coding for it, the game has to be DESIGNED around multiplayer... its near impossible (with a rather big game) to just 'plug' in multiplayer when you have a completed single player.

I agree that strong single player is important, which is my main goal.

and as for peoples feelings on shareware.. my goal is to have a game with 8+ hours of gameplay, multiplayer, and co-op. single player will be limited to as far as you can get in a certain amount of time, hopefully making the player addicted enough to pay $1 -> $4 or something for it... but nothing else will be restricted (except perhaps co-op mode). multiplayer will be free, although items and abilities you can get may be limited (needs more thought).

im hoping this way people will play single player, maybe get a taste for it.. or play it as straight DM or T-DM and enjoy...

and who knows, maybe i'll give up on shareware and just open source it, or charge like 50 cents.

also, im not exactly near completion (theres the design docs and such).. but it will be done by august since im doign this as a school independent project... i have a release date I have to meet :P only thing that make take some extra time would be replaceing some place holder graphics and possibly sound effects. I already have a lot of music done :)

the sekrit project will amaze and astound you all!!!111!11!!1111 ::) 8-)

or at least make you think "he spent HOW long on this crap?"

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

Quote:

the game has to be DESIGNED around multiplayer... its near impossible (with a rather big game) to just 'plug' in multiplayer when you have a completed single player.

I disagree. As long as you keep your mind open to the possibility of multiplayer, and program in a general enough manner, multiplayer support is not incredibly difficult to add at a later stage.

--
Since 2008-Jun-18, democracy in Sweden is dead. | 悪霊退散!悪霊退散!怨霊、物の怪、困った時は ドーマン!セーマン!ドーマン!セーマン! 直ぐに呼びましょう陰陽師レッツゴー!

hazul
Member #4,338
February 2004

:D sigged.

"Multiplayer is actually the best way of not programming a good AI" -ReyBrujo

Richard Phipps
Member #1,632
November 2001

Quote:

program in a general enough manner, multiplayer support is not incredibly difficult to add at a later stage.

I agree. Although not all games are suited for more than one player and I think supporting an AI player is a different issue as well. :)

kentl
Member #2,905
November 2002

In my not yet finished game i solve the problem by abstraction, i only care about if the gamecharacter is AI or Human during the creation, then solve it by subclassing.
http://www.mds.mdh.se/~dal02kln/ai_or_human_abstraction.png
Of course the above example isn´t complete, but it shows the general idea

Inside my game loop i call update() on all my GameCharacter:s, if they are human they check the appropriate keys and make their action. If they are AI they make decisions based on how the worldData looks.

Some good things with the above solution is that you can handle all your gamecharacters in the same way. It´s easy to add multiplayer, or add a different smarter AIPlayer. You can put the concrete classes (HumanPlayer and AIPlayer in the above example) inside a DLL and add them as runtime. Let the users download new types of enemies as they please. Perhaps a networked DLL which adds the ability to play over a network.

Anyhow.. The main idea is that you can design your game and handle all players the same way. Be they AI or human controlled.. Which is what you where thinking of.. Hope i gave you some idea. :)

Thats my 2 cents.. Or 1 krona or similar as i live in Sweden. :-)

Angry Badger
Member #4,665
May 2004

ok, if plugging in multiplayer can be done at a later stage if programming is genereal enough... then what kind of things should i keep in consideration when coding this project?

my game acts along the lines of a real time shoot em up (with other added stuff, part of the sekrit :P )

so i know what sort of information i should sent to the client--->
namely: players position (x,y),direction (angle) , velocity, acceleration, and current action, plus a few other flags. I should also send from teh client anything that the player interacts with (ie: player shoots and spawns a bullet, player picks up something, player hits switch). or at least send a request to the server (player interact, object name, get back true or fasle) to see if the player is actually there or the object is still there.

the server would have to controll everything--> collision, phsycis, interaction bewtween everything, and updating clients and such.

its this part im most concerned about with the way im coding.

im not sure how to handle this server side so well. ..
i have been looking at the server as if it is the real program, and the information sent from the clients almost as if they were just attached controlers or something... but in this case, the serve rwill have to send out infomration to every client reegarding the current position of all things that move from tiem to time such as enemies, bullets, moving platforms, etc.

anyone have any experience with this at all?

[edit] kentl:
thats close to how i have been doing my classes for things like that, however i make the jumping and such in the subclasses since the subclasses update() method can call those themselves.. that way you can give all kinds of crazy movement functiosn and such to your subclassed things

kentl
Member #2,905
November 2002

You where fast, i posted a reply before yours .. Check it out and let me know what you think.

[edit] Yes you can, however i don´t think it´s a good solution. In that case i think it´s better to let the jump() etc methods in the base class have exchangeable behavior (a nice OO way to do it is using the state pattern) and only call a "change state" method in the baseclass from your subclasses when you want different behavior. But that´s just what i think, it might be wrong, but it´s my suggestion if you want a flexible design. :)

Member #4,675
June 2004

Who does actually earn his money as a single shareware game programmer?
Can games by single programmers compete with those of software giants like Electronic Arts?

Kanzure
Member #3,669
July 2003

I'm doing a multiplayer game. It's not a question of 'how important is it', but more of questions like "Do I need it?", "Can I do it?", "Would my players like it?", "Is it worthwhile?", "Will I have fun?", and so on. If you choose to incorporate multiplayer, make sure it's something new and exciting. (because that's better :P)

Go to: