Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Programming Questions » TCP / IP Library for Allegro (Mingw32)

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
TCP / IP Library for Allegro (Mingw32)
takis76
Member #1,419
July 2001

Hi there again , :)

I am working on my game as I say "Future Networks" is the name of my game.
Soon I will Release a very short Demo of my game
what I have create so far and some screen-shots.
I took very long because I had a lot of work and I am creating a web site to upload the game. :)

The good new is I am working on my game and all things are very well so far.

I am working in User Interface I did something
I am using the FMOD library for my mods I will not use JGMOD because is very slow in Mingw32.

The FMOD is better and my game speed is better and so far I will use the standard Allegro's Blender routines so far the speed of my game seems to be normal for me.

So far I have create few things:

Some game interface , Some good futuristic Monitors with satellite controls and panels.
Some buttons :P

The demo so far is very small and is not much playable only three screens :(

But no problem :P

Now I want to do something more usefull

Does anyone knows where can I find a library
which uses TCP/IP connection for multiplayer game?

I am using Dev-Cpp with Mingw32 and I am making my game in windows as I said and I am looking for a library which can I send a small string to a IP address and an other computer can take this small string and make some jobs.

For example like a chat but very simple.

This is very usefull for network game in lan and internet so you can play with your frends as a team I have said the game is like the Uplink.

You are a Hacker in the Future and you need to
destroy a big artificial intelligent computer "THE BLACK MARX" the story of the game will out with my site and screens shots :) .

But if you are play with more than one player is very fun. You can hack a server and one player can send you some usefull files in the game remember Uplink again.

If you want to complete a mission you need 2 hackers to hack a server you with your friend
can pass a password field and attack in the game the server so you must break the password before the time is up. And enemy agents will catch you
remember the matrix Agent Smith allways
hunts Nyo similar this is my story.

This game will be a big surprise for you and I thing in christmass I will have a playable demo with one complete mission.

If I will not meet other programming problems
and if I have a lot of free time perhaps demo will released earlier :)

Some times in the past I had tried to put some of my screenshot of my game in the Image of The day , but I have rejected because I had not web site , I have not game or demo ready and I had not screenshots ready so the web master reject me.
:)

But not problem. Here in Greece we have an expression "good things takes long time :)"

So you will see all thing at once.

Many of you , must said User Takis76 never post game , never creates something yes I have said this in myself I want to Create a Site and Post some game because envy other people here who have web site , completed games and many times I have seen in pixelate some they have gain a award. The best game of the year and some of this :)

I have had played many times the game IcyTower
is very good game.
I have play many games from members here and I admire the work of all peoples here. All games here , are very good. And all this site I wanderfull this is a message to web master.

Web master you have a great web site.

I am visiting this site both sites
www.allegro.cc and
sourceforge.net
are great sites. These sites an all people here
helped me to learn C and C++ and will bring my dreams to reality. I have 2 dreams

2 Projects the first project "Dark Ages" The RPG
this RPG does not completed yet , because I made an accidentally format in my hard disk :( and I loose a big part of my code. :P

So I have been very nervy for a long time I where very paddy and I stoped to programm for a long time because I was bored to create all thing from the biggining. So after a couple of months I deside you create other game.

This is my History of my game hehe :)

Could anyone knows where can I find a good easy, simple TCP/IP Network library to send small packets of data
string only and the other computer can sniff the data and make some work.

For example I send a string "aaa" and the other computer makes something. Or like chat engine :)

Thank you very very much all off you here.

P.S. Can I Attach some screenshots here?

DanielH
Member #934
January 2001

Takis. About TCP/IP, there are many out there that you can use. Libnet, hawknl, GNE(which uses hawknl), etc..

Look in the 'libraries-network' section of allegro.cc depot.

Ron Ofir
Member #2,357
May 2002

Takis76: I am a non productive member too, but your days of non-productivity seem to be over now so good luck!!!

takis76
Member #1,419
July 2001

Now I am trying HawkNL but I have problem

I rename the makefile.mingw32 in the src directory.

and I make and compilers say on file is missing

C:\Dev-Cpp\HawkNl\src>make
building dynamic library, set STATICLINK for static lib
gcc -o NL.dll crc.o errorstr.o nl.o sock.o group.o ipx.o err.o thread.o loopback
.o mutex.o condition.o nltime.o -shared -lpthreadGC -lwsock32 -Wall -I../include
-funroll-all-loops -ffast-math -fomit-frame-pointer -O2 -D_REENTRANT Wl,--out
implib=libNL.a
C:\DEV-CPP\BIN\..\lib\gcc-lib\mingw32\2.95.3-6\..\..\..\..\mingw32\bin\ld.exe: c
annot find -lpthreadGC
C:\DEV-CPP\BIN\MAKE.EXE: *** [all] Error 1

C:\Dev-Cpp\HawkNl\src>

Perhaps is a pthreadGC what is this file?
this library is not stand alone! :)

Rash
Member #2,374
May 2002

Remove -lpthreadGC from makefile.mingw.

takis76
Member #1,419
July 2001

Hmmm A LIBNL.A file was created very interesting

Where can I find documentation?

:)

Rash
Member #2,374
May 2002

gnolam
Member #2,030
March 2002

Heh, that screenshot looks very Uplink-ish :)

Go ahead and use HawkNL - it seemss like the best solution for your situation, and you can probably rely on getting help here (gillius, Nick Fisk, me, among others are/have been HawkNL users).

--
Move to the Democratic People's Republic of Vivendi Universal (formerly known as Sweden) - officially democracy- and privacy-free since 2008-06-18!

Trezker
Member #1,739
December 2001

I prefer libnet. No threading, pretty documentation, easy coding.

Search the forums for more info, and have a look at the example I recently posted. Here

You'll need to plan exactly how to do it and make sure you have a copy of the code before you make a mess ;)

takis76
Member #1,419
July 2001

What Library can I use HawkNL or LIBNET?

Other guys says LibNet Other guys says HawkNl

but so far I didn't understand nothing will all
libraries.

Tell me someone where do I beggin?

How make a socket how make a connection
how to create a socket how send data somewhere
and receive these data

???
:-/
:(
???
>:(

deps
Member #3,858
September 2003

doesn't pixelate have a libnet tutorial?
The libraries should come with examples too.

edit: Tadaaa, Pixelate libnet tutorial

---
Layers are good, all good things have layers, like onions. Good things also stink. - Trezker
I now have a page and a blog!

Kitty Cat
Member #2,815
October 2002

According to the docs, libnet tries to take a more Allegro-oriented OOP approach to networking. You open a connection, and it gives you a structure, with which you use to listen for or send data(depending on how you opened the connection). The same functions work with serial connections, IPX, TCP/IP, UDP(I think), and others. It even allows for TCP/IP in the DOS version under a Windows DOS box which I haven't seen any other lib do.

Whereas HawkNL, as I understand it, just tries to add a compatibility layer between the different network interfaces. There's also no DOS version.

--
"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will pee on your computer." -- Bruce Graham

Trezker
Member #1,739
December 2001

Yep, read the tutorial in pixelate, then I suggest you look through my example.

Then you can try HawkNL and other libs using whatever tutorials you find.

You'll have to make your own decision on which to use.

Go to: