Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » The Depot » MapSlapper

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
MapSlapper
23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Download MapSlapper for Windows (125KB)

My Win32/Allegro tilemap editor is finally ready to be unveiled :D It's a bit plain, but quite functional. Also quite plain are the docs (just open index.html), which are included in the zip. Hopefully the cause of all the crashing last time has been done away with. Another problem was people who didn't quite understand the interface cough*TF*cough, so RTFM this time ;) Now that there is one.

Something the docs bring up are ideas on that whole general, do-all tilemap editor we were all discussing a few days ago. Any thoughts would be appreciated, if only so I can make a better editor for my purposes (even if no one else is interested). Also feel free to make suggestions for MapSlapper's interface; I find it quite intuitive but maybe someone has some ideas that I missed. I should probably figure out how to static-link so no one needs the dll ...

Uh, I guess that's it. I'm all types out from the docs :P G'night.

BTW, for those who remember my registry thread; that code has been commented out, so this isn't going to leave annoying little presents in your Windows registry.

EDIT: link didn't work for me, but copying & pasting the url into the address bar did. I hate when that happens! >:( ;D

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Your link works fine for me :) I'll try it out after I get a new release of Dr. Strange out. (almost ready... just a bug to squash)

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

yeah, link worked fine for me.. but I'm having troubles running allegro programs for the moment >:(

(See allegro 4.0.3 thread for details :P)
Should be remedied shortly.

[edit]
Upon running MapSlapper.exe, I get the following error:

The instruction at "0x77f67f25" referenced memory at "0x00000000". The memory could not be "written".

In other words.. you can't write to NULL Chris! ;)

[edit2]
Btw, this happens right away - before I can see anything on the screen. I tried to look through your source but I got lost very, very, very easily :P

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Wanna be a little more specific? ;) AFAIK I'm doing nothing out of the ordinary. Someone who knows Win32 and gets crashes is going to have to look at it, because it runs perfectly for me here (which means I can't fix it :().

Flecko: I'm running Win98.

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Flecko
Member #566
August 2000

Aye, I'm running WinXP chris, and I get the same error as Derezo. IIRC, you said you run WindowsME or something similar(of the 9x variety at least?) Perhaps you need someone who knows what they're doing(not me ;D) look into it.

Really looking forward to checking this out though.
-Flecko

EDIT: I tried enabling 9x compatibility under WinXP, no dice. Sorry I can't help further Chris, but I know absolutely zero about win32 programming. Best of luck though, its a huge step to take(win32 programming that is.)

ben's drivel
A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer. This message brought to you by Old Kentucky Shark of Kentucky Nightmare Whiskey Co.

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

I am running WinXP as well. I can't really be more specific than that :P

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

[url http://www.allegro.cc/forums/view_thread.php?_id=233605#post_233801]

Of course, that was then. I just tried it on Windows 2000 and XP, and it works fine (so far).

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Yes, I noted that post before starting this thread. I didn't find it too helpful :) But I checked the docs and apparently that call shoudn't be essential, so I commented it out and recompiled and it still works. I'm uploading an updated zip now; it will be interesting to see if this makes a difference ...

Quote:

I just tried it on Windows 2000 and XP, and it works fine (so far).

Oh, okay. Good :) I'm still uploading the non-UpdateWindow() version though, since others still seem to be having troubles (which sucks). Flecko, try it again ...

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Flecko
Member #566
August 2000

Got the new version, still no go. Really sucks for you since you don't have WinXP to test on. I'm really in the dark here. I eventually got your animation editor working before(still have it, and it works fine) so I don't get what the big problem is.

Hopefully you can get it worked out so in the future, people will know, because honestly, it should work regardless of windows version.

Good luck,
-Flecko

ben's drivel
A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer. This message brought to you by Old Kentucky Shark of Kentucky Nightmare Whiskey Co.

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

I tried again as well, but I still get the error.

I see an UpdateWindow() in the source still, too. Perhaps you didn't add that to the zip though?

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Quote:

it should work regardless of windows version.

Tell me about it ::) I couldn't believe the last thread; crash after crash ...

Does seem odd that it's more or less exclusive to the XP guys. I'm happy Matthew got it working though :)

Derezo: the binary is updated; but I guess I forgot to update main.cpp (oops). I'll take care of that now ...

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

DanielH
Member #934
January 2001

Got an error, something about needing Alleg40.dll. :P

Actually I wiped my comp and am now setting it up. So I installed the alleg40.dll and then got the error 'MSVCR70.DLL missing'. Had to hunt that one down on the net.

Finally up and running and it looks good.

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Quote:

Finally up and running and it looks good.

Hallelujah! What's your OS?

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Surt
Member #273
April 2000

I found what appears to be a minor bug.
When one places a tile where (x == -1) and/or (y == -1) a tile is placed at (x == 0) and/or (y == 0) and that tile doesn't draw fully, have to pass cursor over tile to redraw it.

---
--
-

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

I thought I fixed that. Okay, thanks. I reproduced it; should be easy to fix. EDIT: fixed. :)
Any other feedback? It rocks, it sucks, what? Anyone?

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

I get the same crashes as the others when I try to run it (Windows XP Home). I have no problems with other Allegro apps. I tried compiling it, but that didn't work at all, either. See this for more info.

--
Since 2008-Jun-18, democracy in Sweden is dead. | 悪霊退散!悪霊退散!怨霊、物の怪、困った時は ドーマン!セーマン!ドーマン!セーマン! 直ぐに呼びましょう陰陽師レッツゴー!

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Interesting errors, X-G:

Quote:

CTilemap.cpp:213: `blit' cannot be used as a function

Heh :)

I'm adding a "using namespace std;" in the CTilemap header (I always forget the namespace); that should fix most of that. Some of those errors are weird, but I'll assume it's just getting confused by the namespace scope. Uploading new version now (though it shouldn't affect the crashing) ...

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

--
Since 2008-Jun-18, democracy in Sweden is dead. | 悪霊退散!悪霊退散!怨霊、物の怪、困った時は ドーマン!セーマン!ドーマン!セーマン! 直ぐに呼びましょう陰陽師レッツゴー!

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

That's pretty picky O_O AFAIK, those functions should be able to convert a vector element to an iterator.

I changed the code so that I convert to an iterator first before passing the iterator to the function. Hopefully that file at least will compile fine now. New version uploaded ... maybe I should upgrade MinGW so I catch this stuff earlier ::) ...

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

--

Trumgottist
Member #95
April 2000

I tried to run it using XP. It crashed. Then I checked the box in the compability settings that inactivates the visual themes. Now it runs.

--
"I always prefer to believe the best of everybody - it saves so much time." - Rudyard Kipling

Play my game: Frasse and the Peas of Kejick

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

Hey, it works for me too if I do that. Thanks. :D

--

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

Well, I thought it might have to do with Themes, so I tried running it yesterday with Themes enabled - and it still worked.

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Quote:

Try again ...

Right, that's it. Your compiler sucks :) Well, perhaps not, though how I'm supposed to get an iterator to the right elements without iterating through the whole stupid vector is beyond me. Frankly, I don't even know why the vector class can't include insert/erase that takes index numbers. Makes life so much easier.

Anyway, now that some people can actually run the friggin' binary (yay!), does anyone have any thoughts on the actual program?

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

A few thoughts.

1) Make the tile window automatically "wrap" the tiles when you resize it, and only use scrollbars if necessary.
2) Add keys for next/previous tile.
3) Where are my layers? :o

--

Go to: