Allegro.cc Forums » The Depot » MapSlapper

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
MapSlapper
MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

There should be a newline there.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

Yeah, I never got the "missing new line" warning until I used linux. I wasn't aware it gave a warning in any windows-based compiler. Doesn't even make sense, really.

23 said:

I'm going to have to pick up a mouse with 3 buttons and a wheel this paycheck

Just so you know, on most mice the wheel is also the middle button :)

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

If you want to be really pedantic, the wheel is the third, fourth, and fifth buttons.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom - [website] - [email] - [Allegro Wiki] - [Allegro TODO]
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

...straying OT, but fourth and fifth? You can only press it in one direction. ::)

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

Dezero, the wheel? You press it down, and you scroll it up and down :P

--
"If you can't think of a better solution, don't try to make a better solution." -- weapon_S
"The less evidence we have for what we believe is certain, the more violently we defend beliefs against those who don't agree" -- https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/592870205409353730

Ultio
Member #1,336
April 2001

Wow. Can't see how I missed this thread at all. I just downloaded MapSlapper and tried it out. (I'm on a computer at my workstudy job at school right now, so it was a little clunky and slow.. stupid machine)

Anyways, I like the feel. It's really nice. When I use it I want to shed tears because my editor for ZD is so ugly looking. :) Kudos to that. The only thing I find really weird and awkward is how there are two separated windows, one that contains the map and another that contains the selectable tiles. If anything I would say put them together? Maybe this is something people don't like, but I for one find it very weird to switch to a new window to select a tile. I was thinking the tiles would either be shown in some kind of side pane, or horizontal pane along the bottom of the editor. Whatever floats your boat, however. This is just mere preference. Everything else (that I was able to check out in the short amount of time I have left before class starts) works pretty much perfectly. I like the scrollbars. It's annoying to use arrow keys to scroll around in a map, you know?

Good job on this. I'd like to play around with it just a little more, but alas, I don't have much time. You don't happen to have a little binary of an engine that runs these puppies, do you? (Well, one that's available to the public?)

---
"It's nice knowing that someday, the software I write will just be pirated by millions of people." :-/
http://loomsoft.net | Zep's Dreamland | Allegro Newbie Tutorials

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

Yes, let us dock the tile window to arbitrary positions in the main window! ;D
I kinda like it that way, too. I'm not much for the whole tile window thing.

--
Since 2008-Jun-18, democracy in Sweden is dead. | 悪霊退散!悪霊退散!怨霊、物の怪、困った時は ドーマン!セーマン!ドーマン!セーマン! 直ぐに呼びましょう陰陽師レッツゴー!

Ultio
Member #1,336
April 2001

Ooooh. Docking would be really sweet. Then I could put my tiles wherever I wanted. Left, right, top, bottom... Oooh. :) Docky goodness. That's a really neat idea. I'd love to see that.

---
"It's nice knowing that someday, the software I write will just be pirated by millions of people." :-/
http://loomsoft.net | Zep's Dreamland | Allegro Newbie Tutorials

Flecko
Member #566
August 2000

Update for chris: Disabling themes did the trick for me, very nice work. You've made an entire toolset in win32 for your game, very nice indeed.

Keep up the good work,
-Flecko

ben's drivel
A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer. This message brought to you by Old Kentucky Shark of Kentucky Nightmare Whiskey Co.

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Flecko: I did? What's a "toolset"? :P

Okay, dockable windows and such, that's not bad. Unfortunately I have no clue how to do that :) but I'll note the idea for future development. If anyone's wondering, the reason tilesets are 20 tiles wide is because that's how KQ works, and I thought it was easy to add new tiles to a tileset (and it is :)). I guess in the future a tileset should be skinnier. I only say this because I can't picture a tileset that wide being in a side panel. But I guess that's just an old idea that can be done away with now; I can make the program use different sized tilesets now. So, yeah. I'll note it for later.

(actually, I'm starting to get some new ideas ;D runs off)

X-G: can you compile it now? Maybe I should upgrade MinGW (using 2.95.3-6 right now)

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

Yup. :)
Add a newline at the end of main.cpp, though ...

--
Since 2008-Jun-18, democracy in Sweden is dead. | 悪霊退散!悪霊退散!怨霊、物の怪、困った時は ドーマン!セーマン!ドーマン!セーマン! 直ぐに呼びましょう陰陽師レッツゴー!

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

I did; I guess I didn't upload that one yet ...

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Flecko
Member #566
August 2000

Toolset...I guess that means your animation editor and your tile editor. Debatable, but I think it means all the tools needed outside of your game to make it work.

Impressive to say the least.
-Flecko

ben's drivel
A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer. This message brought to you by Old Kentucky Shark of Kentucky Nightmare Whiskey Co.

Thomas Fjellstrom
Member #476
June 2000

23: "Toolset" <-> "Set of tools".... :P

--

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

Aw, fug :P I did fix that blit type window too; I just forgot to change one line that was referencing the wrong variables :) Okay, hopefully it a) runs for everyone now and b) the crashes are gone. I'm going to add a note to the docs that XP users might have to Disable Themes; I guess that covers it then?

Is it a rare thing to have to Disable Themes to get a program to run? Matthew says it runs with Themes on for him (maybe now that I'm not fudging my iterator code :P)

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Cage
Member #1,277
March 2001

If you don't have a clue what's happenin',
let MapSlapper do the slappin'.
It'll whip you up a great map in no time flat.

It's better than its cousin Mappy
(well of course, it's a lot more slappy)
and its map format isn't all bloated and fat.

Feel free to add more, anyone ;). I had another verse but I forgot it ::).

-----
"I'm dumb!. it prolly wont do anything just like Sub7 when u extract it to ur own system I'm dumb!." - theforgotten
"heh i got hit by sub7 before. I just dont know how i got it. It took me about 2 yrs to figure out which virus i had. I'm dumb!. then i started wanting to hack and i got sub7 just ot play around with it and i found the features in it that i had been affected by when i got the virus." - theforgotten

Steve Terry
Member #1,989
March 2002

23.. I don't think it has anything to do with your map code but rather the windows API code you are using. There's a reason why there are XP only downloads for most products and that's probably a main reason. For some reason XP needs some special code or something to deal with themes, it's kinda stupid, but as long as you put it in the docs to disable themes everything should be OK. That or you could have someone e-mail you an executable with themes pre-disabled in the executable (unless XP uses some strange config file for it) and it should run carry over... maybe not...

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

Cage: Too much time. That's what you've got. Way too much time. ;D

23 said:

Is it a rare thing to have to Disable Themes to get a program to run?

This is a first for me. :P

Mike Vox
Member #2,701
September 2002

Cage said:

Feel free to add more, anyone . I had another verse but I forgot it .

This is the MapSlapper rap,
cause I can't hold back,
when the tiles are stack'in,
no, I'll never stop mapp'in,
as long as I'm slapp'in :P

Mike_Vox

Trumgottist
Member #95
April 2000

Edit: Oooh! Note the time and date!
Edit2: I just like when the clock turns 22.22. And when it was the 22nd, even better! :) But now I realised that only people in my timezone will actually see the time stamp of this post as 22.22, and thus miss the fun. Ah, well.

Quote:

This is a first for me.

Me too, and I have run many both old and weird programs. You must be doing something strange.

--
"I always prefer to believe the best of everybody - it saves so much time." - Rudyard Kipling

Play my game: Frasse and the Peas of Kejick

spellcaster
Member #1,493
September 2001

The file doesn't do anything for me. I get a wait cursor, and that's it. No window, no msg box, nothing.

Oh, I'm running XP as well.

--
There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

23yrold3yrold
Member #1,134
March 2001

SC: Did you Disable Themes?

Trum: What about the time and date? Lots of two's and three's? :)

Cage: Get help.

--
Step 1. Build it.
Step 2. Pray.

Cage
Member #1,277
March 2001

23yrold3yrold said:

Cage: Get help.

I asked for help, but only Mike Vox would submit some :P.

-----
"I'm dumb!. it prolly wont do anything just like Sub7 when u extract it to ur own system I'm dumb!." - theforgotten
"heh i got hit by sub7 before. I just dont know how i got it. It took me about 2 yrs to figure out which virus i had. I'm dumb!. then i started wanting to hack and i got sub7 just ot play around with it and i found the features in it that i had been affected by when i got the virus." - theforgotten

spellcaster
Member #1,493
September 2001

Quote:

SC: Did you Disable Themes?

No, and you can be sure that I won't disable them just to run a program.

--
There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

Spellcaster: You can disable them for just that prog. Click properties, and there's a compatibility option that disables themes for that program only.

--

Go to: