Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Build your own game console...

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Build your own game console...
Flecko
Member #566
August 2000

So wait, you can buy one of those, put your minimal linux distro on a big CF card, and have the boot times be sped up by this? That's a pretty sweet proposition. Not sure how that'll be sweet in terms of cost because the adapter is 30 bones, plus buying a reasonably large CF card I'll assume.

Interesting to say the least.

EDIT: Oh btw, I didn't think to mention this before, but can you use Ebay Tom? I mean, someone is probably willing to ship it to you at cost. Or if not that, is there an equivalent that is local to your region? That way you could save on shipping costs.

-Flecko

ben's drivel
A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer. This message brought to you by Old Kentucky Shark of Kentucky Nightmare Whiskey Co.

phate
Member #2,235
April 2002

Grudge: not really
I did google for more and I found a bunch
what I found so far

Transparent to operating system
No drivers required looks just like a small hard drive
Minimal power consumption
Shock resistant
Board size identical to a 2.5" disk drive
Master/slave jumper
Powered through 44pin IDE cable
This adapter does not support hot insertion of cards. This adapter is not recommended to attach a CompactFlash device to the development system. CompactFlash card is not included.

Flecko:

I have an internal IDE card reader nad have gotten
zipslack to boot off of my 64MB CF card and my
128MB Memorystick

Is a MicroDrive compatible w/ CF? I heard they
were insome cases but not always

-----
For my next trick... ah fark it.
[Website][Twitter]

Mars
Member #971
February 2001

phate said:

Is a MicroDrive compatible w/ CF? I heard they
were insome cases but not always

There are two types of CompactFlash. Type 2 is made for slightly higher cards than type 1. Type 1 cards work in type 2 drives, but not vice versa. Because they had to fit a whole harddrive into it, microdrives are for type 2 slots. I don't know of any other problems.

--
This posting is a natural product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

Grudge
Member #958
February 2001

Quote:

Oh btw, I didn't think to mention this before, but can you use Ebay Tom? I mean, someone is probably willing to ship it to you ...

Yeah, I can use ebay but then it comes down to the same thing doesn't it. Still need to pay big amount of money online and shipping costs ?

Quote:

Or if not that, is there an equivalent that is local to your region?

Equivalent to the mini-itx ? nope, I checked, couldn't find anything. But I'll still make a plan,
:)

Moving along : I think using the mini-itx would work very nicely. What board do you guys recommend ? Then we need some ram, a cd-rom drive and then we could also look into the adapter and cf card. What else do we need ? Some game controllers !! anybody got any ideas on which ones we are going to use ?

--
Tom Van den Bon - Pixelate Editor
--
[ Pixelate ] - "...thats not a bug, it's a feature..."

phate
Member #2,235
April 2002

I say we set the standard for an 8-way dpad
and 8 buttons. SNES (Super Famicon) pad of sorts.

well thats what I am using for my standard

-----
[Website][Twitter]

spellcaster
Member #1,493
September 2001

phate, where do you get snes pads?

--
There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

phate
Member #2,235
April 2002

I didn't mean actual SNES pads but what the
button config would look like

dpad

1 start
2 select
3 A
4 B
5 C
6 D
7 L shoulder
8 R shoulder

and concerning the snes pads I believe I have
about fifteen of them

theres also ebay...

-----
[Website][Twitter]

nonnus29
Member #2,606
August 2002

Flecko
Member #566
August 2000

By "equivalent that is local to your area", I meant a local form of EBay. There are alot of spin-off sites that are auction sites. I figured maybe there was one that was closer to you than America, thats all.

I personally vote for 128megs of RAM(256 is overkill since there isn't as much OS overhead), and any CD drive is fine, and an 8-direction,8-button pad. Plus, we'll probably need that IDE->CF thing if thats the route this is going.

I personally have a USB microsoft sidewinder that has these features(6 front buttons, 2 shoulder buttons, and a "shift" button allowing for 16 total combinations.) Its a pretty nice controller.

I also have to say that I'm not totally in support of using the console controler->converter->PC things is a good idea. There are tons of them out there, and not all of them work the same. Plus, getting ahold of legacy controllers isn't always the easiest thing to do.

Here is a pic of my controler.

And here is a review.

EDIT: Oh...and I vote for the 533mhz variety of Eden. I think that might be our sweet spot. Any other thoughts on this?

EDIT #2: This site doesn't help you any Grudge?

EDIT #3: After reading a review, the 533mhz Eden performs FPU/multimedia computations a bit better than a 233mhz Pentium MMX, so I think thats not a bad spot, considering the games we want to design. Anyone else think so?

Hope this helps.
-Flecko

ben's drivel
A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer. This message brought to you by Old Kentucky Shark of Kentucky Nightmare Whiskey Co.

Steve++
Member #1,816
January 2002

I've pretty much read every post in this thread. This is something I've also wanted to do. However, I would like to go a different way. Instead of making a PC-based console, I would like to build a system almost from the ground up. I understand the benefits of a PC-based system, but I'd like to take on more of a challenge. I'm not going for high specs.

Basic architecture: CPU, RAM, ROM, video, sound, basic i/o including RS232, disk, cartridge.

I'm sure it would be a lot of fun and I'll probably fry a few chips in the process. That's if I ever do it.

By the way, are there any 8cm only cd rom drives out there?

Grudge
Member #958
February 2001

Quote:

EDIT #2: This site doesn't help you any Grudge?

Nope, not really. I though I'd try Belgium as I have some money in a savings account there, but the Belgium sites are expensive and it'll be cheaper to try and buy directly from mini-itx.com, the sites on there are also limited with what they sell...

Quote:

I would like to build a system almost from the ground up.

This is what I originally wanted to do, but I think I'll stick with pc-clone for now. If you do ever do something like this, then please let me know. I'd be very interested to see how thats going.

--
--

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

Flecko: The only objection I would have against that pad is the fact that it's damn uncomfortable to hold. :-/
Call me crazy, but I prefer the cheaper 6-button Sidewinder, ergonomically-wise. Of course, the fact that it only has 6 buttons sucks donkey.

--
Since 2008-Jun-18, democracy in Sweden is dead. | 悪霊退散!悪霊退散!怨霊、物の怪、困った時は ドーマン!セーマン!ドーマン!セーマン! 直ぐに呼びましょう陰陽師レッツゴー!

Derezo
Member #1,666
April 2001

The best pad I've found, which I own: ThrustMaster FireStorm Dual Analog. :)

Not cheap compared to other pads though. Paid $39.99 CDN for mine last July.
Very comfortable, and it's got dual-shock w/o batteries (USB, of course).
The only problem I have with it, which I have with every single pad on the PC, is that the D-Pad is icky. I hate how it's all one button. (I know it's like that with console pads, but it doesn't feel like one button)

This idea does sound great. I might consider grabbing a mini-itx and trying it (Sharing results/ideas if you're interested, of course).

"He who controls the stuffing controls the Universe"

phate
Member #2,235
April 2002

Flecko said:

I personally vote for 128megs of RAM(256 is overkill since there isn't as much OS overhead)

I think that 128 would be the max you would
possibly need.

Steve++ said:

I would like to build a system almost from the ground up.

I always wanted to do that two.
I will probably do that for the Alix II
(now I feel like sony ;D)

-----
[Website][Twitter]

Flecko
Member #566
August 2000

Perhaps we could include a number of different controller drivers, and list them all as requirements. As long as they have 8+ buttons?

I think that makes pretty good sense, and shouldn't be too hard to do.
-Flecko

ben's drivel

Grudge
Member #958
February 2001

Quote:

Perhaps we could include a number of different controller drivers, and list them all as requirements. As long as they have 8+ buttons?

Could work, maybe everybody should post the different type of controllers that they like to use and then we'll try to find drivers for those particular controllers (for Linux). Anybody used controllers under linux ? Does each type of controller have it's own driver or is there a standard driver for most controllers ?

I've created a small site for this project so long. It's nothing major yet, but it'll do for now. It will be managed by me and Flecko. You can find it at [url http://www.pixelate.co.za/acp/index.php ]

Keep the ideas coming !

--
--

Blade Nick
Member #1,597
October 2001

kewl I wanna help

Bad Website Of Mine
We, will survive.

Grudge
Member #958
February 2001

Quote:

Blaaa Blaaa BLaaa I am Blade and here me roar I'm comming through ure door. Look left Look right here i am all dresed in white. I farted on ure head I sneezed on ure toes. I used ure hair to wipe my nose. So don't try and kill me but only if u can with the 40 tones of milk u keep in that can. Open the lid and see what is inside u get scared caus I just died. Then u get my body and see that all of my hairs are coverd in feet. Then u scream becaus of the horror u uninstall my game and decide to play with ure mother. She then says that it is time for bed she tucks u in and pats ure head. This was a story of mine today that u have heard and wanted to slay. So now leave in peace and chew on ure nails beacuse u are wating for more of my tails.

Wow, freaky !

Quote:

kewl I wanna help

Details on how people can help will appear soon on the website. In the meanwhile you're welcome tho use this thread to throw out ideas, and comments...

--
--

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

Have you considered the compatibility of Allegro (or Linux) with USB gamepads? I have no personal experience (my gamepad fits on the gameport), so I don't know if this is an issue at all.

Then there's the following thing that needs to be considered: how will you bring down the system if you want to deactivate the console? Ordinarily, you'd just throw the switch. With Linux filesystems, just powering down the system is going to give you problems, as they need to be unmounted first. Not a problem (assumably) for read-only filesystems, but for writeable filesystems (savegames!) it is a problem.
Any thought on how to handle removable file systems, btw?

Grudge
Member #958
February 2001

Quote:

Have you considered the compatibility of Allegro (or Linux) with USB gamepads?

Yep, very important thing. Has anybody used usb controllers with allegro games ? If so please tell us about your experiences. What about two controllers ?

Quote:

how will you bring down the system if you want to deactivate the console?

one way of maybe doing this, is instead of just having a power switch on the 'console', build a switch which lets the machine shutdown instead of just breaking the power to it ? This switch could be something connected to a serial port or something, and have something running on the console which checks the status of this switch ? I don't know, I'm just throwing ideas around here. Anybody got something better or different ?

EDIT : USB Controller for Linux link (very interesting )

Supported USB Game Controllers under Linux :
Here
and
Here

--
--

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

About the powering down ... I don't know how it works for you, but when I press the power button on my box, the OS powers down gracefully as it is supposed to - it just doesn't suddenly shut down.
So, obviously it's possible to get this to work in a good way ...

Also, I've never had any problems with USB gamepads. Of course, I've never tried them much in Linux. Will do when I get home.

--
Since 2008-Jun-18, democracy in Sweden is dead. | 悪霊退散!悪霊退散!怨霊、物の怪、困った時は ドーマン!セーマン!ドーマン!セーマン! 直ぐに呼びましょう陰陽師レッツゴー!

Mars
Member #971
February 2001

Quote:

The best pad I've found, which I own: ThrustMaster FireStorm Dual Analog.

I have got the wireless version of it. The wireless part was more or less a waste of money, but oh well.

Quote:

The only problem I have with it, which I have with every single pad on the PC, is that the D-Pad is icky.

I thought I was the only one with this problem. I can't use the d-pad to move stably into any direction. With my old Sidewinder pad, I didn't have this problem.

Quote:

Have you considered the compatibility of Allegro (or Linux) with USB gamepads?

No problems with SuSE 8.0 or Windows XP, be it with or without Allegro.

--
This posting is a natural product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

Evert
Member #794
November 2000

Hmm... If I throw the switch on my box the power is cut. Wait - I actually need to hold it for a few seconds for the power to go off. I don't really know what happens if I just tap it slightly, but I have a feeling the system will go into stand-by mode.

Flecko
Member #566
August 2000

Doesn't the newest linux filesystem alleviate the worries of dataloss/corruption on shutdown? And even so, would that matter in our case anyways?

-Flecko

ben's drivel

X-G
Member #856
December 2000

Well, the boot media will be write-protected anyways, hm? So, the only thing that could be damaged would be things like save floppies or whatever we decide to use - but then again, turning off ANY console while it's saving tends to screw things up. As long as all file writes are flushed properly, it should work, hm?

--

Go to: