Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Allegro.cc Comments » Hanging on... by a thread

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Hanging on... by a thread
Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Hey great Overlord Matthew, just seeing if you're still lurking. What's the status of allegro.cc these days? Things break and things mysteriously get fixed.

Since no one else here is gracious enough to thank you for unlocking all the threads, thank you. It's a stop gap, but cool nonetheless.

8-)

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

I'm just glad we finally accepted to start a Discord over this untrustable website. I'm still using Allegro, and as much as I loved my memories here, the site is broken more often than not.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

AMCerasoli
Member #11,955
May 2010

This website is now extremely slow... WTH??! So where is going to be people hanging around Discord??

I think is hosted in a ESP32...

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

So where is going to be people hanging around Discord??

https://discord.gg/XAvQBNvb

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Perhaps it's time to ditch AWS....and Jeff Bezos in the river....

I guarantee you AWS isn't the problem in the chain. Maybe, paying the bill, but not AWS.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

Is someone trying to quote something in one of the threads die too soon threads?

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Polybios
Member #12,293
October 2010

I think I dreamed this site had stopped working last night. Dreadful. Posting to check whether it still works.
Strange, it's the only website I dream about. ???

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

The speed of the site is simply a function of the size of the logging tables. If I disabled that code, it would be fast all of the time. ... Except when the 20 year old server software just dies, but a regular reboot solves that. ;D

What needs to happen is to update the code to work with PHP 8.0, replace any super old third party dependencies, and then put it on a new server. I once started down that path, and made good progress in short order, but never finished.

But a more reasonable plan would probably be to put the site in read-only mode and link every page to an easily accessible chat site. Or migrate all of the data to an off-the-shelf forums site and let someone else run it off that.

Other than nostalgia, there's not much of a reason to keep this site up and running.

I sort of assumed one day I'd check in and nobody will have posted in 6 months, I could turn off the lights, and nobody would notice. 8-)

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Matthew said:

What needs to happen is to update the code to work with PHP 8.0, replace any super old third party dependencies, and then put it on a new server. I once started down that path, and made good progress in short order, but never finished.

I personally would like to see allegro.cc live again. Discord threads and forum posts suck compared to allegro.cc's threads. Please don't abandon us to the wilds of the internet. This is our refuge in the storm. Our secret place where everything is kum bah yah. Don't kill it off, just pass it on to someone else if you don't want to update it anymore. Many people have been willing to help and probably still would help if you wanted it.

Matthew said:

But a more reasonable plan would probably be to put the site in read-only mode and link every page to an easily accessible chat site. Or migrate all of the data to an off-the-shelf forums site and let someone else run it off that.

Other than nostalgia, there's not much of a reason to keep this site up and running.

I sort of assumed one day I'd check in and nobody will have posted in 6 months, I could turn off the lights, and nobody would notice. 8-)

All due respect, screw read only. If you're gonna do that, just take it down.

Screw nostalgia, the only life this place ever had was a bunch of shit talkers who spammed and ++post counts. It's the programming questions and depot threads that made this site worth while.

In any case, it would be a shame if this site 1) died or 2) stayed outdated. 2) is the reason nobody uses this forum anymore, it's not a matter of interest, its usability that is the limiting factor here.

I would personally take over the news section. Hook it up to my (personal) email and I will review news every few days. Take down the old downloads, or mark them as strictly outdated. I would be willing to review depot games too.

Let us help you.

>:(8-)

DanielH
Member #934
January 2001

Please keep it going.

I don't know how much I could help though. I dabbled with PHP, but it's been a while.

William Labbett
Member #4,486
March 2004

I spent most of today programming. I couldn't have but for the years of being on
these forums and recieving guidance from people who know more about game creation than me. I don't think I'll get very far with anything I want to do in the future if these forums disappear. So many people I've gotten to know a bit over the years.

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

All due respect, screw read only. If you're gonna do that, just take it down.

No, I'd vote for read-only if it comes to that.

That might take a while still.

Actually judging from Discord, Allegro is seeing a slight revival. Plenty of people interested in DOS programming with Allegro 4. I think the complexities of modern games are off-putting to people who just enjoy creating something by themselves. Allegro has a retro niche that is attractive to a certain audience.

edit:

The interesting question though, which will last longer: allegro.cc or twitter?

Polybios
Member #12,293
October 2010

I could try to argue that, as creator and benevolent ruler, you have some tiny bit of responsibility for your otherwise homeless citizens, but it would probably not be convincing. :)

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

The interesting question though, which will last longer: allegro.cc or twitter?

Who cares how long Twitter lasts? It's for twits

This site still has a lot of potential, and Allegro IS seeing a revival. For some reason college professors love to teach Allegro 4.

This site can be great again, even better than before.

AceBlkwell
Member #13,038
July 2011

I prefer this site to Discord. The other has it's upsides I'm sure but I like the feel of this one. My goal is to someday answer as many questions as I ask.

One nice thing about this site, is you'll never hear..."We've answered this over and over! Search the threads before you ask!!" ;D.

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

My goal is to someday answer as many questions as I ask.

I think that was my goal at one point too. :) More like, "be able to answer questions" haha!

Quote:

is you'll never hear..."We've answered this over and over! Search the threads before you ask!!" ;D.

It used to be like that. Then everybody left. Now I think we just enjoy talking about the topic(s).

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Go to: