Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Daylight Savings Time

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Daylight Savings Time
DanielH
Member #934
January 2001

I know the US isn't alone in the practice of Daylight Savings. If you don't know wha tit is, most of the country moves their clocks forward an hour in the winter because darkness falls earlier in the day.

I live in AZ and get plenty of sun. We don't do Daylight Savings and I'm glad that we don't have to hassle with the semiannual changing of clocks.

Just found out there is a bill in Congress to make it permanent across the country. It just passed unanimously in the Senate. WHY!?!?

Why can't you just get up an hour earlier and save all the daylight on your own? Also, do you have nothing better to do?

MiquelFire
Member #3,110
January 2003

Not having to change our clocks twice a year would be nice.

---
Febreze (and other air fresheners actually) is just below perfumes/colognes, and that's just below dead skunks in terms of smells that offend my nose.
MiquelFire.red
If anyone is of the opinion that there is no systemic racism in America, they're either blind, stupid, or racist too. ~Edgar Reynaldo

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

No more having artificial jet lag twice a year and feeling sick from it for weeks? I'll take it...

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

DanielH
Member #934
January 2001

Getting rid of DST would not have you change your clocks twice a year. Why artificially move time forward an hour.

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

Ah, yes, I would prefer to just abandon daylight savings time over making it permanent personally. Still, getting rid of the change is much more important than whether to keep normal time or permanent daylight savings.

And since people are stupid and you could not have convinced them in a 100 years to take away the daylight they need for their BBQs at night - this is really the best we could have hoped for.

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

We should revert our time scheduling back to one that's based purely on local sunrise and sunset. At least for human activities like wake time, sleep, meetings, food, etc.

The problem is that would be complicated, and the existing time theory works "good enough". Not to mention it's been adopted by, well, basically all possible users. :P

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

First off, it's Daylight Saving Time. Please let grammar win.

It's the same structure as you may hear an announcer of an NFL game say... "Touchdown Saving Tackle."

Second. This bill doesn't affect Arizona or Hawaii. They would remain in their current time zone. Effectively that means Arizona would be the same time as California year round.

Third, yes it (DST) is dumb. But some things to consider:

Here in northern Illinois, the shortest day is 9:07 hours and the longest day is 15:15 hours. This difference only gets worse the farther north you go. It's actually hard to pick a time that works well in all instances. Do you want kids waiting for school buses while it's pitch black at 7:30 AM? Would you rather get off work in the summer with an extra hour of daylight remaining?

What is easier to coordinate? Getting every business to use different summer and winter hours such that their employees can maximize daylight, or effectively having it mandated by the government? Many people don't get to pick their working hours, so saying to just get up with the sun is fun to shout at people but isn't actually something everybody can do.

Finally this idea that Daylight/Summer Time is wrong and Standard Time is right is nonsense. Time zones are completely made up. Why does it matter if 07:00 is when you wake up and 22:00 is when you go to bed? There's quite a big difference between the eastern edge of a timezone and a western edge. From one perspective, the most sane way of keeping time is simply the hours since sunrise.

There's not really a great way to represent time in a uniform way because there are unequal amounts of daylight. And while it's easy to say, for example, a school should just open 30 minutes later in the winter time, just trying to coordinate that when both parents work at jobs that don't flex their schedules can be very difficult for many families.

Anyway, the main point is that I'm happy for DST to go away because I'm tired of everybody calling it Daylight Savings Time and I'm even more tired of people using the acronym CST (replace with your equivalent) in the summer! Good grief, CST and CDT were explicitly invented because of DST. If you cannot be bothered to use the right acronym then simply use CT!!!

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

If only we had some sort of... medium... where we could coordinate things and communicate with people to changes in schedule.

But alas, as far as I know, outside of federal laws, schools have no way of telling parents if their school days will be cancelled, half days, or hour late, or any number of variation in hours.

Alas, snow days occur only on federal recognized snow days.

And, also, hilariously, 99% of all businesses have changed their hours during COVID and surprise, the world kept ticking by just fine. I live in Nashville... a literal city... with sprawling blocks of concrete as far as the eye can see. And most food closes at 9 PM "due to COVID". 9 PM ON SATURDAY IN THE CITY?! When I was younger (in a smaller city) you could get asian food delivered at 2 AM.

Further, banks have been opening at 9:05 (after you get to work, no time before) till like 4:30 PM (screw you, before you get off) since forever. Also, hilariously in Japan, the ATM machines close at 9 PM so the machines may rest after a hard day of work in preparation for the next day.

If your state/city/house gets really dark early, the solution is to schedule it during daylight not change the meaning of the numbers themselves. Especially because the entire rest of the world isn't changing their numbers with you so now you have to memorize not only your timezone but also whether you're in a DST zone (and whether THEY are) and subtract or add to both.

Heck, imagine if we changed Metric units of distance, or weight based on the time of year. "Oh this is Summer Gas, so we're going to use summer gallons." (fun fact: Summer gas, meaning a summer blend of does exist but it's not measured differently)

The fact DST has lasted this long is a perfect example of how crippled and pathetic our governments really are. A policy with no real-world application that exists solely because it has become a sacred ritual that people follow. If we cannot even agree to get rid of a pointless exercise like DST, imagine how many other laws on the books we follow "because that's the way we do it?"

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Go to: