Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Windows 11 is disappointing

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Windows 11 is disappointing
torhu
Member #2,727
September 2002

I upgraded from 10 to 11 tonight. Had to edit the Registry to be able to do the upgrade on my laptop, since it has a one of the unsupported 7th generation Intel i5's in it.

I guess rounded window corners are cool, and the updated Settings app looks good, etc. But the start menu is crap again. And the taskbar has lost important configurability. No official way to make it smaller, to move it, or have window titles on the buttons. It's almost like Windows 8 over again. Guess I'll try it a few days before I go back to 10. :-/

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Too bad red hat sucks but 🤠 windows will never stop "evolving" and letting you do less and less and customize less. TOS must have changed because Cortana is now spying on my private e📨.

Edit
1984 got it wrong but not by much. Big Sister Cortana and big brother Bill

torhu
Member #2,727
September 2002

At least it hasn't given me covid yet... :P

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

The more I see technology evolve the less I want anything to do with it. :-X

Peter Hull
Member #1,136
March 2001

I agree. It is underwhelming. Best thing so far is the settings app, but the old settings app wasn't in need of change IMO.

torhu
Member #2,727
September 2002

Reverted to 10, will wait for M$ to fix 11 before I try again 8-)

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Peter Hull
Member #1,136
March 2001

Just playing with DOS again (due to the other thread) which has reminded me - it was very 'crashy' but my PC would reboot and be back up and running in 30 seconds, so have we really gained anything with all this super memory protection? (also from my 1st PC had 2MB of RAM, now I have need 4000 times that amount)

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

torhu
Member #2,727
September 2002

I don't think the actual OS is the issue with Windows 11, probably still solid. The user interface is what they mess up nowadays, not the stability.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

The Free Software Foundation has come out to expose Windows' latest Sins.

https://www.fsf.org/news/lifes-better-together-when-you-avoid-windows-11

I would have to say that I disagree on the premise that Windows 11 is essentially just an upgrade to Windows 10, and though Windows 11 appears to have more than acceptable levels of mistrust built-in, so does Windows 10. If you can't switch to a more free/libre system entirely or at least a better designed system then you should probably still eventually upgrade to stay up to date, though perhaps it's worth waiting a bit.

The new company laptop has a built-in TPM which makes "Bitlocker" encryption effortless on the user's part, which tells me that it probably isn't doing anything useful anyway because I don't have any secrets to secure the data and so it just unlocks for all of us automatically? I guess there's a chance that there's an encryption key "secured" with my passphrase as a key that is making this work so smoothly without necessarily compromising the encryption of the drive, but I'm skeptical by nature that Microsoft did anything correct.

All of our problems, whether equality, proprietary technology, evil corporations, or crooked priests, the solution short- and long-term is always to confront the truth and stick it out.

torhu
Member #2,727
September 2002

What can I say?
{"name":"613049","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/5\/e\/5ed86b3beb59f395b4df216e99645a83.jpg","w":512,"h":384,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/5\/e\/5ed86b3beb59f395b4df216e99645a83"}613049

I have considered Linux before, but I'm just very comfortable in Windows. And I play games, and use music and audio software that doesn't run, or is extra hassle to run on Linux.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

The Linux scene is actually on par with Windows or even better now. You have no real excuse for using Windows unless your slave role requires it (as mine has).

Valve invested millions into making Linux gaming stable for their living room gaming platform beginning years ago now.

There are always going to be differences, but this is just once again chicken and egg. Better solutions don't exist in Linux because the money isn't there because YOU won't assert your own needs and demand that the market follow YOU!

What ever happened to competition and choice creating the best products? Yeah, that was always a lie (the lie being that choice and competition would spawn out of a necessity for the best products; in reality you cocksuckers just suckle whatever dink you can get your lips on).

RmBeer2
Member #16,660
April 2017

@torhu:
"and use music and audio software that doesn't run"

.... what?...

🌈🌈🌈 🌟 BlackRook WebSite (Only valid from my installer) 🌟 C/C++ 🌟 GNU/Linux 🌟 IceCream/Cornet 🌟 🌈🌈🌈

Rm Beer for Emperor 2021! Rm Beer for Ruinous Slave Drained 2022! Rm Beer for Traveler From The Future Warning Not To Enter In 2023! Rm Beer are building a travel machine for Go Back from 2023! Rm Beer in an apocalyptic world burning hordes of Zombies in 2024!

torhu
Member #2,727
September 2002

torhu said:

"and use music and audio software that doesn't run"

That's not quite what I said. But, I'm thinking about applications that are more important to me than the OS I'm running them on, like Kontakt.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

It appears to be an exact quote, but that aside, if a piece of software is that important to you then you owe it to yourself to go through whatever struggle is needed to free the technology for everyone so that proprietary interests cannot exploit the world's dependence on it. :P

The world greatly needs interoperability between platforms anyway so the more we force our vendors to keep us by building the products that we actually WANT the closer everybody gets to a better world. This isn't rocket fucking science. It's just goddamned obvious. One byte at a time if need be.

Go to: