Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Programming Questions » Does Allegro 4.4 still runs on DOSBOX, or I need to use 4.2?

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
Does Allegro 4.4 still runs on DOSBOX, or I need to use 4.2?
larienna
Member #3,185
January 2003

I want to see if I can cross-compile one of my project in dos to run it on DOSBOX. Since DOSBOX can run on any platform, it makes it like a Java VM.

Now I think I read somewhere, that the difference between allegro 4.4 and 4.2 is that they stopped support for DOS. But I am not sure it's the entire library that does not run on DOS anymore, or if certain features will be missing.

Enjoy! and have fun

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

djgpp is no longer supported as of 4.4, so you can't necessarily compile for DOS anymore.

Go with 4.2 for DOSBox support.

Trouble is, cmake doesn't support djgpp makefiles. And plain make file support was dropped in 4.4 because it was too complicated and cmake was easier.

larienna
Member #3,185
January 2003

Is it just a matter of build tool?

Could I create a djgpp makefile, or adapt the 4.2 makefile for 4.4?

Enjoy! and have fun

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

larienna
Member #3,185
January 2003

Oh! OK, now I understand.

Making project code compatible with both 4.2 and 4.4 might be tricky. There could be a pre-processor commands that branch out different lines of code according to the allegro version variable.

Again, it's doable, most routines are the same besides the "textout" which I already encapsulated. Some add-on might be missing in 4.2, they would need to be added manually.

Enjoy! and have fun

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Go to: