Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » rule-o-matic 2021

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
rule-o-matic 2021
amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

Here is a peek in the TINS sausage factory:

{"name":"613015","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/3\/43e304029b573d1c3baacaee03ddfab0.png","w":857,"h":600,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/4\/3\/43e304029b573d1c3baacaee03ddfab0"}613015

Every year, just hours before the start of TINS, I run this script to generate some random rules. (I tend to make a selection out of three rolls, in case there are too severe or conflicting rules).

As with many things in life, you have to keep moving to stay ahead! The rule-o-matic needs a constant feed of new rules to stay alive. Used rules are removed, little-liked rules sink to the bottom of the barrel where they are scraped off and discarded.

So, I need your help! Do you have suggestions for new rules? They come in four categories:

1. Genre rules. A grand sweeping rule that reverberates through the whole game.

2. Artistic rules. A stylistic, aesthetic or artistic addition to the game.

3. Technical rules. A trick, hack, or algorithm to be added to the game.

4. Bonus rules. These are optional rules that can help you in some way, usually by giving you more leeway to re-interpret the other rules.

I'll kick things off:

1. Genre rule: Abnegation aesthetic: a game to relax / zone out / unwind. (Using aesthetic in the sense of this article)

2. Artistic rule: iridescence

3. Technical rule: Generate Perlin Noise and use it for something.

4. Bonus rule: Double or nothing. You may skip one rule by doubling down on another rule: i.e. implement that rule in two completely different ways.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

This is my only chance to stack the odds in my favor. o.O

Genre - Greed - a collection game - collect coins, powerups, awards, etc.., whatever. The more you collect the higher your score. Might be good with an endless scroller.

Artistic - The Darkness is Coming - The game must make use of shadows somehow. 2D, 3D, light blocking, etc....

Technical rule - Up and Over - the game must implement jumps. Realistic or staged.

Bonus rule - Dynamic Duo - If you make your game 2 player, skip one rule.

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Genre rule: a 3D arcade racing game ala Starwars Racer
Artistic rule: keep it as low polygons as possible, with textures or colorshades
Technical rule: realistic turning/thrusting/braking
Bonus rule: You can skip one the rules if races can be played over the network

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

Nice, these are some good suggestions.

This is my only chance to stack the odds in my favor. o.O

Suggest more rules, and you'll stack it even more :)

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Genre - a stacking game, get it? o.O

Artistic - warm / cold / pastel / negative some sort of color effect or palette cycling

Technical - needs to involve springs, though not necessarily realistic physics

Technical - you must use ropes and ladders in your game (not necessarily graphical), but just ropes and ladders. Even a simple climbing animation would suffice. So, climbing. On any surface you wish.

Bonus - Gameshow replace one rule with some kind of game within your game

:D

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

Genre - a stacking game, get it? o.O

??? I'm going to need some help with that one...

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

Is there a list of existing rules and rating of rules and so on, like for speedhack? http://www.speedhack.allegro.cc/rule-o-matic/spin

[edit: otherwise I'd be very likely to suggest a combination of the same rules I suggested in the past :P]

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

Elias said:

Is there a list of existing rules and rating of rules and so on, like for speedhack?

I'm afraid not... It will take some effort to prepare it for publication. Perhaps next year...

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

Genre Rule: Inevitable Degeneration: the player starts out at their strongest, and gets weaker as the game goes on.

Artistic Rule: Pandemic Hairdo: make things look hairy.

Technical Rule: Slippery Clock: make things go slower or faster.

Bonus Rule: Creative Interpretation: Exchange two words between any two rules. You may do this twice.

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

*Genre*

World Building - start with an empty domain (empty house, plot of land, garden, etc) that you nurture, populate, and grow. Bonus points if you can decorate your world with collectables that do not directly affect gameplay but are nice additions (flower pot for your home; items you can collect and place to decorate your domain, etc.)

*Artistic Rule*

Cuteness - Happy animals, sunny days, joyful characters full of shiny smiles and child-like color palettes. Your game must be cute and adorable, and how you apply this artistic rule is up to you.

*Technical Rule*

Timer - Game must incorporate time, or a timer, or passing time as part of the game. Milliseconds for a gold medal race, days for a plant to grow, eons for the evolution of a galaxy, anything goes.

*Bonus Rule*

Palette Swapping - You may discard any rule if you add a feature that allows the player to choose from different color schemes. Colors variations can include different outfits for the characters, gameboy-color-like palette swapping, anything is up to you.

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

MrKuros
Member #20,688
August 2021

1. Genre rule: Humoristic/Funny. Make the player laugh out loud at least once by funny situations, dialogue, or anything else in your game.

Artistic rule: Make retro modern. Play around with old school graphic design and combine them with modern flare.

Technical rule: Try to incorporate sound/music in an interactive way.

Bonus rule: Add multiple playable characters. You can ignore one of the other rules.

Go to: