Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » C++ Compiler for beginners

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
C++ Compiler for beginners
DanielH
Member #934
January 2001

What is a good C++ compiler (non Microsoft) for beginners?
Easy to setup and get going.

I've been using Visual Studios so long, I don't really know what is out there. I'm looking for a few options.

I used Mingw32 in the past and I remember it was a pain to figure out which files I needed to download.

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Does it have to be Windows? Because on Linux, it's a single command line to install a compiler.

As far as I've seen, there are very few IDEs that are even in the same ballpark as Visual Studio (as fat as it is). For other IDEs people have to "mod in" things like intellisense with plugins that sometimes work... or sometimes fail to install/setup.

People use Atom, and there's Sublime ($80 IIRC).

You could try VSCode which is a new, visual studio, competitor from someone in microsoft with a much more "linux" like set of modular plugins and commandline instructions. It's still kinda fat (RAM usage far too much for a 2 GB machine).

I've used Notepad2-mod (not notepad++ which is basically everything bad about Visual Studio applied to Notepad with menus into menus into menus) for smaller scripts. It's syntax highlighted notepad without 3000x extra frills.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

MinGW-W64

The hosted binaries are gcc 8.1 and the MSYS2 version is on GCC 10.

GCC all the way.

CodeBlocks is a very good IDE without the bloat, memory usage or confusing garbage and unintuitive GUI like VS. No Katko I am not arguiing with you, only stating my own opinion as you have done.

DanielH
Member #934
January 2001

I'm just looking for a simple list of compilers for a group of newbies. I personally use VS Studio no matter what anyone else thinks about it. ;D;D

But I don't want to force it on them. I'm going to let them decide which one to use.

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Chris Katko
Member #1,881
January 2002

Do you want a COMPILER

or an IDE?

COMPILERS:

Clang rules 100x.

GNU C/C++ rules 90x.

LLVM (which Clang is) has incredibly detailed error messages because it half-revolutionized compiler design by going modular and doesn't lose any detail at any stage even if internal optimizations are applied. [Which all other compilers do.] It also lets you pipe any input, into intermediate format and then into ANY OUTPUT format. So it makes it super easy (relative to other compilers) to add new output formats (EXE or CPU architectures) using all of the same starting pieces, or any new input language.

Microsoft compiler works. I've got very little direct access experience outside using visual studio.

If I could use Clang for D, I would. It spoiled me. ['LDC' does exist]

https://clang.llvm.org/diagnostics.html

Clang also has a GREAT static analyzer and it has "profile guided optimization" a newer type of optimization that has you run the program outputting metrics, then the compiler recompiles it noticing which code paths are important and optimizes those over others.

But as for students? Whatever works and is use friendly. They're focusing on bare fundamentals so anything that lets them focus on that.

-----sig:
“Programs should be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.” - Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
"Political Correctness is fascism disguised as manners" --George Carlin

Go to: