Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » Covid vaccination

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
Covid vaccination
Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

I just got my J&J covid vaccination. Is this the one that Bill Gates uses to control my mind?

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

No worries, if you ever used Windows, Bill Gates already mind-controls you.

Congrats on the vaccination, I fear mine is still a few months away...

LennyLen
Member #5,313
December 2004

I fear mine is still a few months away...

Ditto. We won't be rolling it out to non-vulnerable members of the community for some time yet. At least covid isn't that much of a threat here.

Kevin Adrian
Member #7,087
April 2006

I think mine will not happen before October. The vaccination process is very very slow here...

My mouth will speak words of wisdom; the utterance from my heart will give understanding. (Psalm 49:3)

Dizzy Egg
Member #10,824
March 2009

Nice one Matthew. Should get mine in May, all going to plan. Then I'll turn into a lizard or whatever other b******s the mentalists are saying will happen. ;D

----------------------------------------------------
Please check out my songs:
https://soundcloud.com/dont-rob-the-machina

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

One of the few benefits of living in a rural Trump loving county is that the demand for vaccinations is profoundly low. I'm technically not eligible in Illinois for a few weeks but the National Guard couldn't find 1100 people who wanted vaccinations.

I know I didn't get a placebo. Brief but severe body chills at 1AM. 8-)

Cannot wait to making this a yearly ritual to protect all my God fearing, gun loving neighbors.

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

I know I didn't get a placebo. Brief but severe body chills at 1AM.

pla·ce·bo ef·fect
pləˈsēbō əˈfekt,ēˈfekt
Learn to pronounce
noun
plural noun: placebo effects

a beneficial effect produced by a placebo drug or treatment, which cannot be attributed to the properties of the placebo itself, and must therefore be due to the patient's belief in that treatment.
"orthodox doctors dismiss the positive results as a result of the placebo effect"

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Kevin Adrian
Member #7,087
April 2006

@Matthew Leverton

Maybe I should travel to Illinois to get my vaccination there. I am sure that would be much faster than waiting for my turn here in Germany. ;D

My mouth will speak words of wisdom; the utterance from my heart will give understanding. (Psalm 49:3)

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I honestly have no idea when I'll be eligible for a vaccination, but I'm 100% committed to getting it when it does become available (and as frequently as recommended thereafter). I've gotten the flu shot the last 2 years with no regrets. It's difficult to say exactly what effect it has had on me because it closely intersects with a pandemic fearing society all wearing masks and staying distanced. That said, it has had no noticeable side effects either and I did my research first and it's universally recommended.

One of the few benefits of living in a rural Trump loving county is that the demand for vaccinations is profoundly low. I'm technically not eligible in Illinois for a few weeks but the National Guard couldn't find 1100 people who wanted vaccinations.

If the houses start selling cheap drop me a line. :D

Maybe I should travel to Illinois to get my vaccination there. I am sure that would be much faster than waiting for my turn here in Germany. ;D

I'm not sure I would trust the US vaccinations anyway. They were so desperate they probably would have approved bleach. :D Americans should trust it anyway.

It is as if the Earth is alive, intelligent, conscious, and capable of defending itself. Let us all have faith that some stupid will be washed away from America in these Holy years to come. Mercy, mercy, hallelujah, bless the Lord. :-* Good luck and godspeed to the rest of you. :-/

Just in case you were wondering, "why not let everyone be that free"? This. This is why not. I don't think that freedom to be an idiot is a right or a privilege. It's a curse.

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

The major benefit is ... cost of living. So yeah, houses are very cheap here.

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

One of the few benefits of living in a rural Trump loving county is that the demand for vaccinations is profoundly low.

I have family in Mexico and you see the same effect there. Vaccines get sent to rural towns, but nobody wants them, and nurses put out calls on facebook to the city folk to come and not let the vaccines go to waste. Lucky for my family there, who got vaccinated weeks before my parents in the Netherlands, even though they are the same age group.

It's clear though, that there is an issue in how the EU has approached vaccinations. I thought this column by Paul Krugman was insightful ($)

I agree with the basic gist of his argument. It's clear the EU has prioritised: 1. collective action (instead of each country for its own) 2. collective bargaining to combat profiteering by pharmaceutical companies - and 3. be extremely cautious during approval to avoid fueling anti-vaxxers. This strategy works well in normal times to keep healthcare cheap and safe. But it might be the wrong strategy right now, if you just want to get vaccinations done ASAP.

Bob Keane
Member #7,342
June 2006

My employer sent an email last week stating we qualified for the vaccine due to our industry. My health insurer sent a letter or two I assume telling me I qualify due to age. Our state will be offering the vaccine to the general public on the 16th. I've heard there have been no appointment problems to date. I think I'll wait until the 16th to get it.

Matthew said:

One of the few benefits of living in a rural Trump loving county is that the demand for vaccinations is profoundly low.

Somewhere on this page you will find the real reason the demand is low.

By reading this sig, I, the reader, agree to render my soul to Bob Keane. I, the reader, understand this is a legally binding contract and freely render my soul.
"Love thy neighbor as much as you love yourself means be nice to the people next door. Everyone else can go to hell. Missy Cooper.
The advantage to learning something on your own is that there is no one there to tell you something can't be done.

Kevin Adrian
Member #7,087
April 2006

I thought this column by Paul Krugman was insightful

The column says: "Germany suspended AstraZeneca, and others rushed to follow out of fear that they would be blamed if anything went wrong". But other countries in the EU had already suspended AstraZeneca while the politicians in Germany where still denying any correlations between that vaccine and the observed blood clots. And then suddenly from one day to the next, AstraZeneca was officialy suspended also in Germany. Having trust in the politics these times is quite hard.

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

Armchair economist from across the Atlantic got some local details wrong - I'm not surprised :P

But the basic point is sound. Basically it goes like this: Do you want your vaccinations cheap, fast, safe? You can only pick two. EU picked cheap + safe. US/UK picked fast + safe. (Perhaps some other countries picked fast + cheap, but that's speculation...)

Having trust in the politics these times is quite hard.

Sure it is. But I'd be more forgiving for politicians in this case. They have to communicate clearly to a public not used to science. They have to take public health seriously, but also avoid panic or fueling anti-vax sentiments. All while new research facts emerge day by day. Getting all that right from the start requires a superhuman ability that no politician has.

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

I get my vaccine today. In Ohio different counties have different waiting lists - in Columbus close to where I live spots get all booked up as soon as they open so I also tried some rural towns and there it was easy to get in. So now I'm getting ready to drive about an hour out of town to my vaccination site in the middle of scary rural Trump land...

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

Arthur Kalliokoski
Second in Command
February 2005

I just stumbled across the White House YouTube Channel. I think the upvote/downvote ratio on the vast majority of videos is quite amazing for what's supposed to be the most popular president ever. I don't trust anything about the current "administration" at all.

EDIT: Not to mention the comments being turned off.

EDIT 2: I just checked it again and there was a video supposedly posted 1 hour ago (~3PM Eastern time) and it had comments! They were extremely negative toward the video, but one of them mentioned that the poster in question was screenshotting the vids to show the upvote/downvote ratio against when Youtube would alter them just because. I clicked on it again to post it here but they'd already turned the comments off. I have to remember to screenshot the comments and all next time.

They all watch too much MSNBC... they get ideas.

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

I got the first dose of the Pfizer vaccine yesterday. Can't wait for the second. 8-)

---
ItsyRealm, a quirky 2D/3D RPG where you fight, skill, and explore in a medieval world with horrors unimaginable.
they / she

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

They gave me Moderna, have to return in 4 weeks. Was really hoping I'd get Johnson so I wouldn't have to. My upper arm started hurting a lot a few hours later but that seems to be common with Moderna.

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

Matthew Leverton
Supreme Loser
January 1999

When the medic asked which arm I wanted to get stabbed, I said both. She didn't find that humorous. Even when I explained it was just so I made sure I really got it good.

Polybios
Member #12,293
October 2010

Europe failed hard this time. I really wonder why they left procurement to the EU, though. The EU can do some things well and is world-class in muddling through and finding compromises, but it has never been fast, and it usually does not throw money around.

So here I am, living not far away from the Biontech "headquarters" where the Biontech/Pfizer vaccine was invented but vaccination is not in sight. ::)

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

Polybios said:

I really wonder why they left procurement to the EU, though

Well, it might be because of the bad experience of the procurement of ventilators and protective materials at the start of the pandemic. That was a complete "every man for himself" race to the bottom / heaven for scammers and profiteers. I think the EU took some flak for not taking a role in procurement there. Sometimes you just can't win.

RmBeer2
Member #16,660
April 2017

I don't know what you get vaccinated for. all for the pleasure of prick butts.

🌈🌈🌈 🌟 BlackRook WebSite (Only valid from my installer) 🌟 C/C++ 🌟 GNU/Linux 🌟 IceCream/Cornet 🌟 🌈🌈🌈

Rm Beer for Emperor 2021! Rm Beer for Ruinous Slave Drained 2022! Rm Beer for Traveler From The Future Warning Not To Enter In 2023! Rm Beer are building a travel machine for Go Back from 2023! Rm Beer in an apocalyptic world burning hordes of Zombies in 2024!

OICW
Member #4,069
November 2003

Nah, you'll be fine, I'm living next doors in the Czech Republic and we're f*cked ;D

Tell me about that ;D I gave up like half a year ago.

Sure it is. But I'd be more forgiving for politicians in this case. They have to communicate clearly to a public not used to science. They have to take public health seriously, but also avoid panic or fueling anti-vax sentiments. All while new research facts emerge day by day. Getting all that right from the start requires a superhuman ability that no politician has.

Yes, unless you have a PM and president like we do here in the Czech Republic. I'm distrustful of a whole political scene. After a very good start last year (even though there were bumps along the ride) we completely f*cked up. PM told is being photographed with a crystal ball that all's fine over the summer. People thought that covid is gone and by the end of the summer when numbers started to surge, due to coming election, everybody was reluctant to enforce any measures.

This led to a complete explosion, half-assed rushed harsh measures violating every possible principle of law state. Some of them even got abolished by courts. So people in here generally don't care... And we even have MP who posted on Facebook that a cargo plane doing a go around was in fact spraying covid over the city ::)

EDIT: by the way, amarillion, thanks for that column, an insightful read.

[My website][CppReference][Pixelate][Allegators worldwide][Who's online]
"Final Fantasy XIV, I feel that anything I could say will be repeating myself, so I'm just gonna express my feelings with a strangled noise from the back of my throat. Graaarghhhh..." - Yahtzee
"Uhm... this is a.cc. Did you honestly think this thread WOULDN'T be derailed and ruined?" - BAF
"You can discuss it, you can dislike it, you can disagree with it, but that's all what you can do with it"

Dizzy Egg
Member #10,824
March 2009

OICW said:

And we even have MP who posted on Facebook that a cargo plane doing a go around was in fact spraying covid over the city

Jeez....and I thought Boris was a numpty!! ::)

----------------------------------------------------
Please check out my songs:
https://soundcloud.com/dont-rob-the-machina

Polybios
Member #12,293
October 2010

EU picked cheap + safe. US/UK picked fast + safe.

That's exactly what the EU did wrong here. If you factor in the costs of lockdowns and worker support schemes, the cost of vaccines is negligible.

1   2 

Go to: