Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Game Design & Concepts » CEAGLE, C for EAGLE

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
CEAGLE, C for EAGLE
Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

No really, what do you think? Would a pure C interface to eagle be a turn on to you? Would you want to use my gui then?

What about GUI Scripting and GUI storage? XML? Ruby? Python? There's already PyAllegro but I don't know its state these days. Anybody verify?

kingnoob
Member #18,984
January 2021

If it came with a visual designer in which I could size, place and color everything and it would make something pretty, then maybe. If it just looks like your example of my send fleets panel then, never. It does not matter how correct and precise your programming style is if it does not produce something pretty to look at. I'll take my sloppy noobish programming that works perfect and looks pretty every day of the week. And I say that with only l l lo ... um sorry that is just not me. Your example was horrid looking.

Kevin Adrian
Member #7,087
April 2006

I'm a big fan of both C++ and pure C so I would be quite pleased with a C version of EAGLE.

Concerning the scripting topic: What about Lua or Perl? Would those be also options?

My mouth will speak words of wisdom; the utterance from my heart will give understanding. (Psalm 49:3)

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

I would at least try a C port.
And yeah, it would be great to have a visual designer, it could be a major + for any port.

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Visual designer blah blah blah, can't you people program?

I could easily do a GUI editor with XML + C++.

As for the example looking bad, I don't give a shit. If you knew your code, you would know that could be easily changed with a few lines of code. You have no idea what Eagle can do, so sit down newb. It was a mockup.

So my suggestions are - visual designer - lua or perl? - C interface?

What I want is a real time allegro and eagle interpreter based on a scripting language. I would have to say no to perl I hate those dollar signs everywhere. LUA sucks imo. Ruby and Python are both more expressive and can handle classes. But I need a SWIG or Rice wrapper to handle the binding.

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

Lua sucks so much it enabled me to make an amazing game in a total of like 1500 hours so far. ;D

C bindings are good, makes it easy to bind from any language (like Lua or Python) using FFI.

Generated bindings using SWIG are ugly. A C interface makes it easy to use via a ton of languages (from something like Lua to Rust and JavaScript, ;D) so yeah.

GUI designer would also be a good. GUIs should be made by UI/UX peeps, not programmers (unless you're a programmer with UI/UX experience).

---
ItsyRealm, a quirky 2D/3D RPG where you fight, skill, and explore in a medieval world with horrors unimaginable.
they / she

Kevin Adrian
Member #7,087
April 2006

Though I had some struggles with metatables at the beginning I have - in general - made good experiences with Lua so far. But I see, I am some kind of lonesome defender. ;D

My mouth will speak words of wisdom; the utterance from my heart will give understanding. (Psalm 49:3)

Erin Maus
Member #7,537
July 2006

I was being sarcastic. :P

Lua is great. Love it. It's one of my favorite programming languages.

---
ItsyRealm, a quirky 2D/3D RPG where you fight, skill, and explore in a medieval world with horrors unimaginable.
they / she

kingnoob
Member #18,984
January 2021

So you can dish it out in my thread but can't take it in yours. You should change your username to King Snob The Exalted Programmer. And it's noob not newb. And I do not know what Eagle can do because YOU failed to show me!

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

kingnoob you should learn to take it easy :-)

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Eagle lets you easily add borders, margins, padding, outlines, shadows, coloring of widgets, highlighting, tabbed focus, event handling, threading, drawing, animation, fonts and text vertical horizontal aligned, multiline, and so much more that it is you kingnoob who is being a snob. You can't even be bothered to read the code or the html manual that comes with it. I'm not going to spend all my days customizing something to your liking when you already have something. I did it for an example so you could see how easy it is to have a basic setup.

Where did we leave that old hickory switch for young whippersnappers? Oh, it's right over here. BRB.

8-)

Kevin Adrian
Member #7,087
April 2006

@Erin Maus

Oh then I beg pardon I missunderstood you :)

On the other side, I somehow liked the feeling being the lonesome knight in shining armor fighting for Lua. ;D 8-)

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Go to: