Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Off-Topic Ordeals » TINS 2021 prize pool

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
TINS 2021 prize pool
amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

For those of you who are on the TINS mailing list (And if not, why aren't you? :D) you'll already have seen the announcement:

TINS is open to receiving donations: https://tins.amarillion.org/support. I have already received several very generous donations, and I can definitely promise that we will have an interesting prize pool for TINS 2021.

On the mailing list, there were some worries that money will lead to politics and drama. I have that worry too, so I want to continue the discussion here, talk it through and see what we can do about it. It might help to write up a good "terms & conditions". This would include e.g. a clause that I will act as final arbiter in case of disputes, but that I will also exclude myself from the prize pool.

But this also opens up the opportunity to dream up fun new things. For example, how do you feel about a TINS T-shirt? Winners get it for free, the rest will have to order & support the cause!

See also previous discussions on this topic:
https://www.allegro.cc/forums/thread/618297
https://www.allegro.cc/forums/thread/618121

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

T-shirts are a great idea.

The primary concern I'd have would be legal threats. Where there's money involved that might necessarily involve the law where it would otherwise have stayed out of it. It might also vary by jurisdiction both of the hosts and clients. There probably isn't enough money to hire a lawyer to answer these questions though so it's probably also not worth discussing (unless one of us happens to be a lawyer or happens to be willing to hire one). I wonder if it will make better sense to put this conversation off until we come to that bridge (which is assuming we even will, which is perhaps premature).

Append:

Cryptocurrency might be a neat way to do the money transfer, however, I am still a newbie unable to find a trustworthy exchange to buy in... Which unless somebody is aware of a solution to that problem may plague everyone. And without an exchange cryptocurrency is of limited utility.

RmBeer2
Member #16,660
April 2017

I think it's fine. I just have a suggestion for the prizes:

1ΒΊ price: a shirt of TINS
2ΒΊ price: a hat of TINS
3ΒΊ price: a pants of TINS
4ΒΊ price: a hanky of TINS

🌈🌈🌈 🌟 BlackRook WebSite (Only valid from my installer) 🌟 C/C++ 🌟 GNU/Linux 🌟 IceCream/Cornet 🌟 🌈🌈🌈

Rm Beer for Emperor 2021! Rm Beer for Ruinous Slave Drained 2022! Rm Beer for Traveler From The Future Warning Not To Enter In 2023! Rm Beer are building a travel machine for Go Back from 2023! Rm Beer in an apocalyptic world burning hordes of Zombies in 2024!

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

RmBeer2 said:

1ΒΊ price: a shirt of TINS
2ΒΊ price: a hat of TINS
3ΒΊ price: a pants of TINS
4ΒΊ price: a hanky of TINS

5ΒΊ price: a used hanky of TINS

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlare β€’ AllegroFlare Docs β€’ AllegroFlare GitHub

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

X-D

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

I want more Alex stickers! I still have some, but never know when you need more :)

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

Been there, done that

{"name":"596099","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/b\/5\/b53a6da9e2bd7d472096976afc82a880.png","w":339,"h":480,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/b\/5\/b53a6da9e2bd7d472096976afc82a880"}596099{"name":"596098","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/3\/83a77371eb0cfd3e878074a5d43fd056.png","w":339,"h":480,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/8\/3\/83a77371eb0cfd3e878074a5d43fd056"}596098

:-*

Bob
Free Market Evangelist
September 2000

TINS is open to receiving donations

Is there a non-paypal option? Paypal is refusing to accept my transaction.

--
- Bob
[ -- All my signature links are 404 -- ]

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

Bob said:

Is there a non-paypal option? Paypal is refusing to accept my transaction.

Weird, does Paypal give any info on what is wrong? I hope I didn't make a mistake and ended up on some sort of list :-X If you were in the EU I could think of a few alternatives, but for the USA, I have no idea. Do you have suggestions?

I could still sign up for patreon, that would give you more choice. The only "downside" is that patreon expects recurring donations by default. Which you can stop at any moment, but it's a slight hassle.

Been there, done that

Nice, I had completely forgotten about that thread. That's a good source of inspiration for T-shirt ideas :)

Bob
Free Market Evangelist
September 2000

Weird, does Paypal give any info on what is wrong?

I don't remember what it was, but it seems to be working now. Weird.

--
- Bob
[ -- All my signature links are 404 -- ]

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

I suggest T-shirts (or whatever "merch") point to Allegro's specific strengths: cross-platform, tried and tested with a rich history, hardware-accelerated, supported file types, etc.

Peter Hull
Member #1,136
March 2001

bamccaig said:

I suggest T-shirts (or whatever "merch") point to Allegro's specific strengths

A pants of Allegro it is, then. ;D

Edgar Reynaldo
Major Reynaldo
May 2007

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

Let's park the ideas for the T-shirt design for a moment. I'm currently improving the TINS site itself.

Each entry now gets its own description page. You can edit your own entry's description (if you want, you can do so right now, you can get there from the Entries table, or from your user page). A useful place to gather links, post-competition fixes, etc. Some tags are allowed (such as a b, s, i, img) and youtube links are converted to embedded videos. I eventually will add these capabilities to the logs as well. And look at the !gasp! icons...

{"name":"612856","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/d\/c\/dc0fbb691855116a2ecfb7130b164ee8.png","w":1114,"h":1754,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/d\/c\/dc0fbb691855116a2ecfb7130b164ee8"}612856
https://tins.amarillion.org/entry/219

User pages already existed, but I've embellished it with thumbnails for each game:

{"name":"612858","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/0\/f\/0fdbed49126116475c4650956c2a788e.png","w":1114,"h":1824,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/0\/f\/0fdbed49126116475c4650956c2a788e"}612858
https://tins.amarillion.org/user/allefant/

I haven't addressed the styling of the user pages yet, that will be the next step.

RmBeer2
Member #16,660
April 2017

very nice.

something day i must change the description.

🌈🌈🌈 🌟 BlackRook WebSite (Only valid from my installer) 🌟 C/C++ 🌟 GNU/Linux 🌟 IceCream/Cornet 🌟 🌈🌈🌈

Rm Beer for Emperor 2021! Rm Beer for Ruinous Slave Drained 2022! Rm Beer for Traveler From The Future Warning Not To Enter In 2023! Rm Beer are building a travel machine for Go Back from 2023! Rm Beer in an apocalyptic world burning hordes of Zombies in 2024!

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

Who is this user allefant I wonder.

Is it possible to merge two accounts?

--

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Elias said:

Is it possible to merge two accounts?

Ooh that sounds like some premium account level feature request there. You might need to have a ✨ TINS premium ✨ account for service like that. ;)

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlare β€’ AllegroFlare Docs β€’ AllegroFlare GitHub

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

Yeah I'll merge them. Do you want to be elias or allefant?

Ooh that sounds like some premium account level feature request there.

No worries, Elias qualifies :)

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

elias, same as here, thanks :)

--

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

I have some games without pictures, but they are in the log of each game. How do you retrieve which picture have to be used ?

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

Good question. Right now, the screenshots were copied from the logs with this script. For each entry/entrant, it picks the most recent log post with an image.

#SelectExpand
1#!/usr/bin/python3 2 3import os 4import django 5 6os.environ.setdefault("DJANGO_SETTINGS_MODULE", "tins_site.settings") 7django.setup() 8 9from competitions.models import Post, Competition, Entrant, Entry 10 11def getLatestImageForEntrant(e): 12 posts = Post.objects.filter (entrant=e).order_by('date').reverse() 13 for p in posts: 14 if p.screenshot: 15 return p.screenshot 16 return None 17 18for e in Entrant.objects.all(): 19 entry = e.teamEntry 20 if entry: 21 if entry.imagefile: 22 pass 23 else: 24 screenshot = getLatestImageForEntrant(e) 25 if screenshot: 26 entry.imagefile = screenshot 27 entry.save()

In the future, I will make it so you can select/upload the screenshot by yourself.

If you don't want to wait for that, just send me a screenshot that you want uploaded in a PM and I'll do so manually.

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

Edit:
Finally no problem. I didn't submit the entry on given year.
Edit2: While I did submit other finished entries it was for some ChristmasHack and SpeedHack.

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

Elias said:

elias, same as here, thanks

Done, I've merged your accounts. You should be able to log in as before.

Go to: