Allegro.cc Forums » The Depot » [KrampusHack 2020] Santa saves the dolphins

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
[KrampusHack 2020] Santa saves the dolphins
Dizzy Egg
Member #10,824
March 2009

Here is my entry for push32, "Santa saves the dolphins". The wishlist was:

1. A game with dolphins and whales...

2. ...that should be rescued from ocean pollution.

3. Safe for children to play.

Arguably there are more penguins than dolphins! But there are dolphins, and you have to save them. It should be safe for children to play, although they may not like santa falling in the sea ;)

The game is built for Windows atm, attached, I need to host the source somewhere...

The game is very simple; find the dolphins and feed them, whilst dodging the penguins (they'll steal your fish). Foosteps can be seen, so sometimes you have to wait for the snow to get heavier!

Keys are up/down/left/right/space.

{"name":"612799","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/4\/141837f0257ad5aade73710a03925896.png","w":1280,"h":720,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/1\/4\/141837f0257ad5aade73710a03925896"}612799

----------------------------------------------------
Please check out my songs:
https://soundcloud.com/dont-rob-the-machina

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

I can not start it => FATAL: Failed to create display...

allegro.log => display E C:\LIBS5303Build\allegro5\src\display.c:55 al_create_display [ 0.23508] Failed to create display (NULL)

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Mark Oates
Member #1,146
March 2001

Dude! This looks awesome. I really wanna play it.

Yes please host the source somewhere. Maybe I can compile it!

I love GitHub. I really do, it's one of my favorite pieces of software you should check it out.

I hosted the entire DragonWrath on GitHub here:
https://github.com/MarkOates/DragonWrath

And I tagged an official release with Windows and MacOS Binaries here:
https://github.com/MarkOates/DragonWrath/releases/tag/v1.0.0

Plus, the homepage of the Repo shows the README.md which has build instructions and resources list. It even allows me to host a basic webfront (with my own custom domain) with GitHub Pages. It's so cool.

--
Visit CLUBCATT.com for cat shirts, cat mugs, puzzles, art and more <-- coupon code ALLEGRO4LIFE at checkout and get $3 off any order of 3 or more items!

AllegroFlareAllegroFlare DocsAllegroFlare GitHub

RmBeer2
Member #16,660
April 2017

Is this what is called a cross-depot?... ???

🌈🌈🌈 🌟 BlackRook WebSite (Only valid from my installer) 🌟 C/C++ 🌟 GNU/Linux 🌟 IceCream/Cornet 🌟 🌈🌈🌈

Rm Beer for Emperor 2021! Rm Beer for Ruinous Slave Drained 2022! Rm Beer for Traveler From The Future Warning Not To Enter In 2023! Rm Beer are building a travel machine for Go Back from 2023! Rm Beer in an apocalyptic world burning hordes of Zombies in 2024!

Elias
Member #358
May 2000

This looks and feels really nice.

But way too hard for me - was seen by about 100 penguins but never found a single dolphin :)

--
"Either help out or stop whining" - Evert

Dizzy Egg
Member #10,824
March 2009

I can not start it => FATAL: Failed to create display...

Attached is a new version with ALLEGRO_REQUIRE changed to ALLEGR_SUGGEST, so hopefully you can run it now!

I have also put all the source code on github; you will need to compile with allegro AND irrKlang (for audio). Any problems let me know!

Source code

SiegeLord
Member #7,827
October 2006

Dizzy Egg said:

Attached is a new version with ALLEGRO_REQUIRE changed to ALLEGR_SUGGEST, so hopefully you can run it now!

That fixed it for me.

And wow, this game is challenging! Well, that is, until I figured out that you have to basically always wait for the heavy snow before passing a penguin; this meant that a lot of the game was spent waiting. The movement was very floaty, but that was fine after I got used to it.

As for the dolphins, they are tricky to find as the radar range is rather low, in fact I had to revisit one of the paths to find one of them after I missed it (I decided to just drown myself to avoid backtracking). But I persevered and rescued them both!

Overall, I think I liked it except for the waiting mechanic. The graphics were nice, the light effect was neat and there was a large assortment of music.

"For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow."-Ecclesiastes 1:18
[SiegeLord's Abode][Codes]:[DAllegro5]:[RustAllegro]

GullRaDriel
Member #3,861
September 2003

The game is working with the latest bin you gave.
Waiting that much killed me. I don't know how SiegeLord managed to rescue both dolphins without scratching his face with his nails.
I stopped before wanting to erase all penguins from any ice land.
The graphics are neat and the game itself can be appealing with a few adjustments. Overall it's a good job :-)

"Code is like shit - it only smells if it is not yours"
Allegro Wiki, full of examples and articles !!

Dizzy Egg
Member #10,824
March 2009

Thanks for the feedback, I originally wanted the penguins to chase the footsteps so you could escape over the bridges or on ice, but got far too hung up on OpenGL.

amarillion
Member #940
January 2001

The game looks and sounds great! But I agree it's a little frustrating sometimes. Man, these penguin are on a hair-trigger. And how are you supposed to pass without leaving footprints?

Edit:
What might help is, if you don't have to start all over from the beginning if you lose a life or a fish. Just lose it, but continue from the same place. Then at least you can keep exploring.

Niunio
Member #1,975
March 2002

Agree with it looks and sounds greate and it is a bit frustrating. It is hard from the beginning. Santa slides a lot. I ended undersea most times because he slips out all the way. An the penguins, it is hard to know if they may notice you or not.

But I like the looking and the idea. :)

-----------------
Current projects: Allegro.pas | MinGRo

Go to: