Allegro.cc - Online Community

Allegro.cc Forums » Programming Questions » removing start bar in windows

This thread is locked; no one can reply to it. rss feed Print
 1   2 
removing start bar in windows
William Labbett
Member #4,486
March 2004

I did so and guess what?, the display really is fullscreen so I've been looking to see if
I've done something wrong in my actual program I need it to work for but so far I've found nothing.

So the only thing I can think of to do now is post all the requisite files for my project so those that would could look at it but I'm a bit worried I'm going to be embarrassed if I'm exposed as having done something stupid.

Advise please.

bamccaig
Member #7,536
July 2006

Don't be ashamed. :) Everybody makes mistakes. Even "stupid" ones. My GitHub is full of uninteresting projects full of "stupid" code. :P Besides, even if there is any "stupid" code in your project, all that exposing it will do is help you to learn more about it through constructive criticism from others so that you can get better! :) Which is exactly what the purpose of this thread is. :)

Just because something you've done is "stupid" does NOT mean that there is anything wrong with you. Ultimately, I think that it is a major disservice to our entire civilization that we expect people not to fail (in the sense that most of our states have no safety net to protect everyone from failure, deserved or otherwise). Failure is inevitable, and it is often only through failure that we succeed.

William Labbett
Member #4,486
March 2004

I've attached all the necessary files in 7zip file so if anyone really wants to they can
compile my program. I think all the extra files necessary are there ( the config, font, etc). Let me know if not and I'll post the others.

Here's what I get when I run it and that's after a call to

al_set_new_display_flags(ALLEGRO_FULLSCREEN);

{"name":"612818","src":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/e\/ee6f8d5771f973ce0cfaf75fdf4823f2.png","w":1229,"h":933,"tn":"\/\/djungxnpq2nug.cloudfront.net\/image\/cache\/e\/e\/ee6f8d5771f973ce0cfaf75fdf4823f2"}612818

EDIT : the display is created in the InputOutput constructor in input_output.cpp

thanks

torhu
Member #2,727
September 2002

Are you trying to set a mode the monitor/driver doesn't support?

Dizzy Egg
Member #10,824
March 2009

In your input_output.cpp you have:

al_set_new_display_flags(ALLEGRO_FULLSCREEN);

#ifdef ART_PROGRAM_DEBUG_MODE
al_set_new_display_flags(ALLEGRO_WINDOWED);
#endif // ART_PROGRAM_DEBUG_MODE

and in your global.hpp you have:

#define ART_PROGRAM_DEBUG_MODE

So remove that line from global.hpp and it will run full-screen??

(Or is the issue that in full-screen mode the taskbar is overlayed?)

----------------------------------------------------
Please check out my songs:
https://soundcloud.com/dont-rob-the-machina

William Labbett
Member #4,486
March 2004

The resolution I was trying to set was 1024 \times 768.

Thanks Dizzy Egg. You've found the answer for me. I got it working now. :)

I've realised that the reason the taskbar was showing was because it was windowed mode which I thought was fullscreen because my Desktop resolution was 1024 by 768 originally which was the size of the display being created.

torhu
Member #2,727
September 2002

Well, glad you got it working ;D Just curious, does it still work if you use the fullscreen window mode?

William Labbett
Member #4,486
March 2004

Thanks. There's no obvious difference to ALLEGRO_FULLSCREEN with ALLEGRO_FULLSCREEN_WINDOWED.

torhu
Member #2,727
September 2002

The difference should be that with the latter you can have the taskbar or even other application windows on top of your game, right? And there is no delay when switching back and forth.

William Labbett
Member #4,486
March 2004

Affirmative. I've realised that everything is the way it should be. I've also realised that when I think I've done something daft I really aught to try to find out what. Again.

Dizzy Egg
Member #10,824
March 2009

Thanks Dizzy Egg. You've found the answer for me. I got it working now.

You're welcome :)

----------------------------------------------------
Please check out my songs:
https://soundcloud.com/dont-rob-the-machina

1   2 

Go to: